Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

I'm curious as to when the first call was received by Passenger Services. My BIL (on the ship 2 cabins away) believes he made his call around 8:45. He also recalls a security guard WALKING down the hall after quite a bit of time had gone by. Perhaps, this wasn't taken as seriously as it should have been. Thoughts?

I was on the Emerald that night. I was also on deck nine. I can not put into words how sorry we felt for that family after we were told what happened the next morning.. We seen the family and felt their pain as they gathered near the room.. They were strong and supported each other. We all wish them the best.. If you were not on board, you would not understand how this effected us all.

I did not hear one complaint from any passenger. We tried to move on. We did go on. But it never left our minds. As you would expect, during this real emergency, I felt Princess handled some things very well, and others not quite so well. I believe the lessons learned from this emergency will help Princess update some procedures and make it safer for future passengers. At least I hope so.

Now for your question. I heard the first call for help around 9:00.

Can someone answer this question? On the FBI affidavit, it says the suspected murder was reported at 10:13 by a Holland America security officer. Is Princess security actually Holland America security. A Holland ship was docked next to us while in port. We were at sea during emergency.

The victim was pronounced dead at 9:20. 53 minutes to report, and then by Holland security?

Can someone answer this question? On the FBI affidavit, it says the suspected murder was reported at 10:13 by a Holland America security officer. Is Princess security actually Holland America security. A Holland ship was docked next to us while in port. We were at sea during emergency.

The victim was pronounced dead at 9:20. 53 minutes to report, and then by Holland security?

Holland, Princess, Carnival, Cunard, Costa all the same cruise family (parent company)

I can't say anything about the timeline, but Princess is part of the Holland America group of Carnival corp, so I assume the ship contacted HQ, and the corporate security dude called.

I

Can someone answer this question? On the FBI affidavit, it says the suspected murder was reported at 10:13 by a Holland America security officer. Is Princess security actually Holland America security.

In 2009 or 2010 a new operational management group was formed Holland America Princess Alaska. Then in 2013 Holland America Group was formed to bring operations under a single CEO for HAL, Princess, Alaska land based tours, Seabourn, and I think also Australian ops.

Technically, this case can be heard anywhere in the District of Alaska. They are the venue for prosecution. I'm pretty sure it currently sits at the Juneau court.

Seattle is a totally different District. It's unlikely a change of venue would occur, but not totally unheard of.

Thank you, Aquahound. [emoji4]

I was on the Emerald that night. I was also on deck nine. I can not put into words how sorry we felt for that family after we were told what happened the next morning.. We seen the family and felt their pain as they gathered near the room.. They were strong and supported each other. We all wish them the best.. If you were not on board, you would not understand how this effected us all.

I did not hear one complaint from any passenger. We tried to move on. We did go on. But it never left our minds. As you would expect, during this real emergency, I felt Princess handled some things very well, and others not quite so well. I believe the lessons learned from this emergency will help Princess update some procedures and make it safer for future passengers. At least I hope so.

I would be interested in hearing what you think Princess did well and not so well.

Also, I'm confused - what do you think Princess could do to make it safer for future passengers - how was anyone except the victim and those in the room in danger? Update what procedures?

Edited by mek

I would be interested in hearing what you think Princess did well and not so well.

Also, I'm confused - what do you think Princess could do to make it safer for future passengers - how was anyone except the victim and those in the room in danger? Update what procedures?

Good Point! I have been watching this thread and seen a lot of feel good comments as well as valuable insight. The main point was that the murder was caused by the one problem law enforcement hates to step into. A domestic dispute. Because emotions and expectations run high anything can happen. We read about Police Officers being shot frequently when they are sent to "Domestics". And often intervening Good Samaritans are injured or killed when they try to defuse a domestic disturbance.

I'm sorry that you and everyone else had that experience...I'm sure it really cast a pall on the cruise. I can't even imagine what the family members went/are going through.[emoji22]

I'm curious what you think Princess could have done better/differently. It doesn't sound like this was a preventable incident caused by lax security or passenger screening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know that time delay sounds bad but it really isn't at all. Remember, this is a self contained, foreign flagged ship with their own on board authority (security). The notification to the FBI was done by Holland America Group in Seattle, not by the ship. That delay in notification really does not matter because the FBI doesn't become relevant until the ship reaches port anyways. It's not like a land based 911 service where the FBI was going to go rushing out to the ship.

Edited by Aquahound

Holland America has taken over all of the back office departments for Princess, such as security, personnel, HR, insurance, etc. In recently speaking with a Princess sales rep she said that eventually, and I believe it has already started based on my last cruise, that the Princess ships, dining, etc will reflect more of Holland.

In a previous thread I read that someone reported the incident at 8:45 and by the time security showed up they were walking with no sense of urgency. Not casting blame at all since I was not there, but one wonders if this is true, and security responded immediately, maybe they could have broken up the fight? Not trying to create drama so please don't attack me.

I know personally about delayed responses and inaccurate reporting. When I had norovirus on the Crown and called Medical and passenger services at noon and twice more during the afternoon but was told by the front desk that they would pass my call on to medical services. I didn't get a call back until 6:00 pm and was chewed out by the nurse for "just now reporting it". Once I straightened her out her attitude changed.

When I got home I requested my medical records for insurance reimbursement and when received was completely shocked at how inaccurate the records were. I contacted customer relations to have them corrected but was told that that was not possible as the nurse was no longer on that ship.

So I agree, there is a lot of room for improvement on board the ships.

I continue to feel very sad that this happened, and I wish I could understand why things like this happen. What causes a person to "snap?" As Tom (trbarton) said, there were no signs when there was a problem in his family (and more hugs to you, Tom).

Although it was many posts back, I would like to say to huskerdan25 that I think it takes a very big person to apologize, and I would like to commend him on having the character to do so when he felt he over reacted to a post.

Holland America has taken over all of the back office departments for Princess, such as security, personnel, HR, insurance, etc. In recently speaking with a Princess sales rep she said that eventually, and I believe it has already started based on my last cruise, that the Princess ships, dining, etc will reflect more of Holland.

Dearie:

Could you please elaborate what you mean by this part of your post? What did you experience and observe? I suspect the MOD may delete my query before you get to answer it since it's not about MURDER!!!

Toot-Toot!!!

Cheerio, Dearies!!!

I am limited on time for detailed answers, but will give you my brief opinion, and hope to answer at more length at a later time. Remember this is just an opinion.

You can always learn from an actual event. Drills and the real deal are like night and day. So my comment about Princess learning and improving their policies and procedures based on what went good or bad. I am sure they will review the incident.

The good part is, at least they had a plan in place. The bad part is that it seems they may be still using the Golden Age era and its way of communication.. Think about it. A possible call comes in at 8:45. The call then has to work its way through the chain of command, and then finally at 9:03 the Captain announces on the loud speaker for all the security and medical to report to deck 9. A speaker ? Then 10 minutes later the Captain calls again on the speaker system for all security and medical. Maybe it is time to update to radio's or something. Maybe even change the chain of command for faster reaction times. That is all I am saying. You have to change with the times. Learn . Maybe that shift was not staffed well enough to handle such an emergency or something , No way to contact off duty help. This is how you learn to make improvement. I am not sure that if I was the one having a heart attack or something like that, that I would be happy with this old way of communication. At least on board that night it felt like I was in a time warp. I keep looking out the door of my room on deck nine after the call went out both times and I did not see any sense of alarm, or much of anything. I would like to think you could call for help and they would send someone right away without waiting for the Captain to call them.

I do not want to sound like I am complaining, but allot of the timing of announcements were questionable and created some bad crowd problems. I can expand on that later.

Just IMO

A possible call comes in at 8:45. The call then has to work its way through the chain of command, and then finally at 9:03 the Captain announces on the loud speaker for all the security and medical to report to deck 9. ..... I would like to think you could call for help and they would send someone right away without waiting for the Captain to call them.

When security gets a call, they do not immediately send "all security and medical" personnel to the area. They would send one or two people. I suspect that when the initial personnel reached the scene (and I have no idea with what sense of urgency) they then communicated what was happening and that resulted in the Captain's announcement. I could easily see taking 15 minutes from the initial call to the Captain's announcement.

This is the first time to my knowledge there has been a domestic type murder on any cruise. Hopefully this is an aberration never to happen again. Princess did the best they could be expected to do under these circumstances. We will be on Emerald in December for 31 days. My only comment on the situation is I feel so sorry for their children as they have lost both parents and are traumatized for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just to let you know how fast someone came to help my wife. I called the emergency number Medical In less then 3 to 5 minutes. The medical help was there. He call out on his walkie-talkie (alpha one) and less the 5 minutes at least 5 people came running in. It was very scary!! My wife was very bad and to this day we feel they saved her life. Just letting you know this all took place at 3:30 a.m.

P.S. Thanks again to the Medical staff on the Emerald Princess.

Tony

This is the first time to my knowledge there has been a domestic type murder on any cruise. Hopefully this is an aberration never to happen again. Princess did the best they could be expected to do under these circumstances. We will be on Emerald in December for 31 days. My only comment on the situation is I feel so sorry for their children as they have lost both parents and are traumatized for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was another one in 2009 on the elation in San Diego.

We were o n the Carnival Vista out of Miami from June 18 to 25 of this year. A couple got in a very heated argument in the dining room. Man took a steak knife with him. The argument proceeded in their cabin & he stabbed her to death. I find it very odd, no mention of this anywhere: press, c.c., etc. but Princess splashed everywhere.

Just like princess no passengers were allowed to debark for hours after our arrival back to Miami. I feel very sad wondering what is happening in this crazy world we live in.

Thanks for your courage in sharing! I hope to meet you on a cruise some day.:D

EDIT: I just remembered that you have cruised with my Aunt Sharon and Uncle Murray on the SA Cruise at the beginning of the year!

Happy Cruising!!!

Mark

Hi Mark! We were on that sailing too, with Sharon & Murray, please tell them Hello from Mike & Joanne in Huntington Beach! They were a hoot! :D

And to Tom, big hugs, you just never know what folks have been through when we're busy having fun together! It was fun running in to you on the Ruby in April too! Are you enjoying your Elite status now?? What's next on your "cruise" list???

We were o n the Carnival Vista out of Miami from June 18 to 25 of this year. A couple got in a very heated argument in the dining room. Man took a steak knife with him. The argument proceeded in their cabin & he stabbed her to death. I find it very odd, no mention of this anywhere: press, c.c., etc. but Princess splashed everywhere.

Just like princess no passengers were allowed to debark for hours after our arrival back to Miami. I feel very sad wondering what is happening in this crazy world we live in.

And they will take away anything like a pocket knife from you when boarding. I always say "Well, I can go to the steakhouse and get a bigger knife than that if I wanted to inflict harm on anyone." I don't get Princess' logic in some of their policies. Also, those chopping knives that one can get in Alaska (forget the name), but upon boarding the ship, they'll take those from you as well.:rolleyes:

It is like it never happened. I can't find a thing on it.

ETA: no tweets from passengers either. It likely didn't happen and at best was a rumor.

Edited by spleenstomper