Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

I'd like to add a couple of more things. We were on a cruise when a woman jumped over board. She had been drinking, and she did say she was going to jump. Her husband had died 1 year to the day that she jumped. The Coast Guard demanded that the ship stop and spend hours and hours looking for her. We missed the first port, the one port we wanted to see and why we booked the cruise. We got the port fee back and that was that. You must read the fine print on your cruise documents, not every port is a guarantee to see.

Same cruise but the next year. We missed the first port again due to weather. It was too windy and risky for the ship to anchor. The captain said he could get us there, but might not be able to get us back to the ship. Did it ruin our vacation? Nope, third time was a charm though. So, if you feel slighted, take another chance and book another Alaskan cruise.

I was there. We were on that cruise which was the worst time I have ever had on a Princess cruise.

They made a final determination and we got the phone call last night that they would not do anything for the 3500 people that got there vacations ruined. No reimbursement, nothing. They gave everyone a $150 credit to be used against your shipboard account. Period.

Do you really think Princess wanted to be stuck in port and loose $1,000's in revenue and crime publicity? The FBI and Alaska authorities were actively investigating a crime scene and running the show. Along with everyone else onboard, Princess is a victim too in this matter. The $150 OBC from Princess is very generous for something outside their control.

Yep, you're right. I think that generally comes under the heading of "stuff happens." This was a more severe case of "stuff."

Tom

Why is that????? Your complaint is that you missed seeing the glacier. The reason why makes no difference IMO. What if a medical emergency prevented the day at Glacier Bay - I've been on ships that have either been late or missed a port because of a med evac. I never even considered that I should be compensated for the change in itinerary. Things happen on cruises and unless the problem is caused by the cruise line, I don't see why you think you should receive anything more than you already have.

Some poor woman lost her life and her children lost a mother - you only lost a day at sea.

Tom, Not sure what you mean. I was there, met the couple. Princess was responsible since they continued to serve the husband at the bar after he was verbally abusive. That all mighty bottom dollar mattered more.

I have cruised with Princess more than once. We had upgraded to a suite to be able to sit outside and watch the glacier go by. That never happened.

I am sorry for what the family went through, but what about all the people on that ship that had saved for a lifetime to see the glaciers???

Yes, under the circumstances I feel Princess should have done something more than $150 ship credit. It wasn't even a refundable credit. We got a call from Princess last night advising us that they would not be doing anything more for the passengers on that ship

I usually don't "pile on" when someone's getting a kicking, and I'm rarely siding with the giant corporation when it comes to a question of money, but seriously, come on. Do you realize how you sound?

Sometimes bad things happen, and you have to just carry on without "compensation". It's called life.

Why is that????? Your complaint is that you missed seeing the glacier. The reason why makes no difference IMO. What if a medical emergency prevented the day at Glacier Bay - I've been on ships that have either been late or missed a port because of a med evac. I never even considered that I should be compensated for the change in itinerary. Things happen on cruises and unless the problem is caused by the cruise line, I don't see why you think you should receive anything more than you already have.

Some poor woman lost her life and her children lost a mother - you only lost a day at sea.

I think that you're quoting the wrong poster. [emoji6]

Let's see, here we have a ship that had approx. 3300 passengers on it when something occurred over which nobody on Princess had any control over the company provided almost half a million dollars ($495,000) back to all of the passengers that were onboard the ship and you consider that "no remuneration, nothing"? I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. I'm not really sure what you expect the company to do. I suspect that the vast majority of people on board the Emerald for that cruise other than hearing about what happened from others who were not directly involved with the incident, didn't know the people involved, didn't see or hear anything first hand and had no personal involvement whatsoever. What exactly would you expect the cruise line to provide to you for being on the ship when it occurred?

Tom

We were on a Princess cruise that arrived back in port a day late due to staying an extra day in Tahiti and they thinking we could still make it back home on time and then we had a medical emergency of a crew member so we had to turn around and go back to the nearest island.

So then all of us flying home had to change our plane reservations....we had used miles to purchase our flights and now 3 days before we were flying home we had to purchase more miles and pay a change fee to the tune of $1400 + the change fee which was $150/pp. An unfortunate occurrance for the crew member, and no fault of ours and maybe poor planning on Princesses part (by staying in a port an extra day). Princess did nothing....until 4 months later, they gave us a total of $400 in OBC for a future cruise. The Capt. had told us that they would take care of any losses...but that didn't turn out to be the case.

Oh well...we weren't thrilled but there was nothing we could do......It is what it is.

Fortunately, our insurance helped us to recoup some of the extra money we had to put out.

Lessons learned: Buy Princess insurance (rather than from another source.) Try to use EZ Air if possible (those who had, were not charged for the changes). Don't book private tours that will not give a full refund if a port is missed.

Edited by suzyed

Rhskins50 your remark that Princess is responsible is at best totally ludicrous! And they were not obligated to give anyone a dime!

Take the $150 it's very fair IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rhskins50 your remark that Princess is responsible is at best totally ludicrous! And they were not obligated to give anyone a dime!

Take the $150 it's very fair IMO!

Agree with this.

Go back and reread what has been written. I have written nothing about missing a glacier, that was another person.

Tom

I was there. We were on that cruise which was the worst time I have ever had on a Princess cruise.

They made a final determination and we got the phone call last night that they would not do anything for the 3500 people that got there vacations ruined. No reimbursement, nothing. They gave everyone a $150 credit to be used against your shipboard account. Period.

The person responsible for your ruined vacation was the person who supposedly committed the murder.

You could try to find a lawyer who would let you be the lead person of a class action lawsuit against the accused to reimburse you and all the others on the cruise for the ruined vacations.

Compensation aside (and I think Princess is in the right here) I take even more issue with the assertion that EVERYBODY had their cruise ruined (I see that all the time when people ask for compensation - it's not everybody, its just you and some others like you). While I am certain that there were people for whom the glaciers were a key element, there were also many people like me, who have seen them and while disappointed it was not a deal breaker and 25 percent credit as reported is enough to go back in the future while still seeing everything else..

Look, it stinks that the cruise was disrupted. But other than those people who were personally involved in the incident, the impact consisted of...missing glaciers.. Which happens for a variety of reasons outside of Princess control, and is compensated accordingly. This is the very definition of a first world problem " I got to cruise alaska but I didn't see the glaciers, so everything else was ruined."

Exactly. What would the complainers do if they missed the glaciers due to weather? Or there was too much rain/fog to view them? Or too much ice to get near safely? Would your trip be ruined then too? Demand money due to Mother Nature?

Sadly the answer to the last question is likely yes these days.

I had more rain days then not on a Norwegian fjords cruise. That's life I may try again.

Someone lost their life. Demanding compensation seems the definition of petty.

Exactly. What would the complainers do if they missed the glaciers due to weather? Or there was too much rain/fog to view them? Or too much ice to get near safely? Would your trip be ruined then too? Demand money due to Mother Nature?

Sadly the answer to the last question is likely yes these days.

I had more rain days then not on a Norwegian fjords cruise. That's life I may try again.

Someone lost their life. Demanding compensation seems the definition of petty.

I watched the Juneau webcam the day this happened, and it was the gloomiest day ever. Everyone on that cruise would have missed the glaciers anyway due to the severely inclement weather.

no problem. The bright spot is that you went this far into the year before making your first mistake!!!! ;p i once got all the way to the 4th of jan. Before i made my first one. :eek:

Tom

lol!

Do you think that he will claim self defense or temporary insanity?

The worst part is the daughter, who I believe was in the room, will have to testify against her father - heartbreaking.