Parents Platinum, kids gold but a different cabin

LisaT12

Ballfour, just curious as to how old your daughter & friend are. We've booked 4 cabins for our family - 2 daughters are married, son traveling solo and ourselves. We are platinum, the others are gold. All was booked under our credit card. So, should we expect the other three cabins' cards to be in priority with ours? All will be 25 or older at sailing. We'd like to have a welcome aboard photo together, so it would be nice to board together, rather than us have to wait for them to be allowed through. I don't think any of them will spring for FTTF and we won't purchase it for them (fare, taxes, grats is enough).

Maybe I sound whiny :D but it hardly seems fair that it's being expected that since you are Platinum all the rest of your family (all adults) should be able to jump the line and board ahead of me (a lowly gold member) because you want a photo and don't want to wait for the rest of your family to board.

Maybe I sound whiny :D but it hardly seems fair that it's being expected that since you are Platinum all the rest of your family (all adults) should be able to jump the line and board ahead of me (a lowly gold member) because you want a photo and don't want to wait for the rest of your family to board.

You don't sound whiney in the least. You sound like the rest of us thinking the exact same thing.

I asked a simple question based on another post that I read. The question was directed to that person, based on their personal experience. No need for all the rest of you to turn into donkeys over it. We have traveled with friends who were not platinum, but just waited until they got checked in to get our welcome aboard photo. If we are required to do that for our upcoming cruise, that is fine. It was a freaking question, y'all. Jeesh!

We just cruised in June from Galveston. My in laws are platinum, the other four cabins are gold. They went ahead of us and were in their room by time we made it on the ship. We had the first check in time and could have sent one of our minor kids that were in the room on paper . We didn't but they did not even let us go past the ropes to check in. Now they could have waited with us a few minutes but still didn't matter. We ended up dropping our carry one in their room while we ate. Our bags weren't there until 5pm and we were on board at about 1230. They were onboard about 1130. We all got there together, parked together and all, they are pretty strict in Galveston and didn't even let you by until they saw your boarding pass to get into the terminal. I think you can either wait with your daughters or have them meet you at your room when they get checked in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I asked a simple question based on another post that I read. The question was directed to that person, based on their personal experience. No need for all the rest of you to turn into donkeys over it. We have traveled with friends who were not platinum, but just waited until they got checked in to get our welcome aboard photo. If we are required to do that for our upcoming cruise, that is fine. It was a freaking question, y'all. Jeesh!

Actually, you selected the answer you wanted and are pooing everyone giving you the correct information you don't want to hear.

We did a family post thanksgiving cruise with new cruisers with past cruisers in 4 cabins. Our PVP arranged us so each cabin had a new and past cruiser and we all got to use the past cruisers rate. We also arranged for luggage tags to go to the cabin they would use after we rearranged the cabins. The ones who had to move after checking in met at Guest service and got a new card.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Actually, you selected the answer you wanted and are pooing everyone giving you the correct information you don't want to hear.

Yes, Elaine, I selected the answer that I wanted more details about. I asked the age because I wondered if the other poster's daughter was under the age of 25, since that seems to be the magical age of booking your own cabin with Carnival. Didn't poo anyone. Didn't say I expected to all board together - asked if I should, since the other poster indicated that the other cabin keys were in the priority lounge. If that were going to be the case, then of course I would like to know that. As it turns out, that was apparently a good while back, so likely irrelevant to 2017. Maybe no one really reads all the posts all the way through, so they jump to conclusions. Maybe they just prefer to take out some aggression on total strangers asking valid questions. It's really annoying.

Thanks for the info, Quil - that was how I thought it would work in reality. Just wanted to be sure, since we are all driving down together. We may just take more time getting there so we can stay together for boarding and the welcome aboard pic. Or maybe we will just do the pics on board after dinner. Still got plenty of time to figure all that out.

I asked the age because I wondered if the other poster's daughter was under the age of 25, since that seems to be the magical age of booking your own cabin with Carnival.

You had a valid question. However, the magical age of booking your own cabin on Carnival is 21 not 25.

You had a valid question. However, the magical age of booking your own cabin on Carnival is 21 not 25.

And specifically I believe if you 21, everyone in the room must be 21+. If anyone is under 21, then there must be a 25 year old in the room or else traveling with a parent or guardian.

To me, the OP's question is still in a gray area. I have received the explanation from Carnival that until they meet booking requirements, my kids will board with me - it was NOT that my youngest was 12. His brother was 18, and an adult and could have supervised him to board. And if you think about it, that is the explanation that makes the most sense. What if there were (3) 20 year olds and (1)1 25 year old booked in a room- and the 25 year old didn't show? You would have (3) 20 year olds sailing in a room by themselves with no guardian and Carnival doesn't allow that; they need the 25 year old to check in.

I disagree with the people that want to bend the rules or manipulate them against the intent to their personal benefit, but sometimes the rules aren't clear or aren't universally enforced. I think it is wrong to piggyback Platinum benefits or luggage benefits to suit your needs. But if you have a legit circumstance like I described above, then it is appropriate.

Regardless, it won't be an issue for us after December because both my boys will both be Platinum.

And I think in the OP's situation it is going to vary port to port and the time that they arrive. If its is after the herd has past and the P/D and FTTF are all on board, and there is no line at the priority desk, their likelihood of a fast check-in will be expedited.

And specifically I believe if you 21, everyone in the room must be 21+. If anyone is under 21, then there must be a 25 year old in the room or else traveling with a parent or guardian.

To me, the OP's question is still in a gray area. I have received the explanation from Carnival that until they meet booking requirements, my kids will board with me - it was NOT that my youngest was 12. His brother was 18, and an adult and could have supervised him to board. And if you think about it, that is the explanation that makes the most sense. What if there were (3) 20 year olds and (1)1 25 year old booked in a room- and the 25 year old didn't show? You would have (3) 20 year olds sailing in a room by themselves with no guardian and Carnival doesn't allow that; they need the 25 year old to check in.

I disagree with the people that want to bend the rules or manipulate them against the intent to their personal benefit, but sometimes the rules aren't clear or aren't universally enforced. I think it is wrong to piggyback Platinum benefits or luggage benefits to suit your needs. But if you have a legit circumstance like I described above, then it is appropriate.

Regardless, it won't be an issue for us after December because both my boys will both be Platinum.

And I think in the OP's situation it is going to vary port to port and the time that they arrive. If its is after the herd has past and the P/D and FTTF are all on board, and there is no line at the priority desk, their likelihood of a fast check-in will be expedited.

The first part is correct. I even said as much in post #25.

If there were (3) 20 year olds and the 25 year old didn't show, then I imagine they would pull them off the ship before they left. As it is everyone has separate boarding passes now compared to before when they were all on one. I don't know where it says that they all have to check in together. Maybe it does.

I can see where the 18 and 12 year old may be able to go with, and it does make sense. I think it will be up to the port. They can also see on the computer that you already checked in so they know they aren't traveling alone. They may allow both, or just the 12 year old. Not sure. What isn't true is the credit card loophole. That is totally wrong and isn't even a factor.

Also, our boarding passes say to board at 3:30.....I have never seen a time so late.....and my husband and I have been cruising for many years. Is this a new boarding time?

Everyone has been so busy focused on the hot topic of your children boarding with you, that they forgot to address the second part of your question!

I would think that your boarding passes say that you must be on board by 3:30, since your ship is scheduled to leave at 4:00. I would double-check the wording there! You can check-in as early as you would like, then board as soon as Platinums are called.

Their boarding passes will not have priority on them, therefore you may have a problem with them boarding at the same time.

What you could have done was put you in one cabin and your husband in the other and then all would have been priority. At this point it may be too late to switch.

As priority, your "check-in" time (not boarding) is moot since you can check-in anytime.

You don't specify what port or ship you are going on so I can't comment as to the late check-in.....What time does your ship sail?

How about calling carnival to tie them to your schedule so that you can board together I’m sure a carnival rep will let that be an easy fix

And you received freaking replys, y'all. Jeesh! :rolleyes::confused:

It's an open discussion thread open to replies/comments by the community.

Before the accusations of donkeyhood it was not made clear that you were willing to board without the family or waiting for their boarding time.... only inference that you wanted them to be able to board priority with you so you can get a picture.

I have no problem with open discussions. My beef is with those who read more into a post than is really there & jump on a stranger. I see it all the time on these boards - not just Carnival - Royal and Princess as well. This may be why you see so many more views on posts than responses. It's easy enough to read through threads to get information without posting anything. But, make a post requesting a little more information to clarify something & people lose their minds.

Maybe look at it from a different direction. 7-8 people traveling together. 2 of the group leave the others to go to priority check in. Upon arriving at priority check in they discover that the cards for the 5-6 people left out in the terminal are there in priority check in. Now what? They gotta go find the rest of the party & bring them there for check in. So, if this was likely to happen, it would be nice to know in advance. The flip side is also applicable. Those 5-6 people don't want to traipse to priority only to find that they should have stayed in the regular line.

So, advance knowledge of how things are done on these linked bookings is helpful so we know if there's any point in getting out of town at 6am vs 7am or later. While I am always up early on any vacation departure day, some of my family members cherish their precious sleep. I know they would love to leave later.

You did the correct thing. We've done the same prior to our daughter becoming platinum. For 4-5 cruises prior when she took a friend we'd walk up to the cue with me walking with one of them and my wife the other. Zero problems, zero delays. If their cabin wasn't ready we'd put their carry-on luggage in ours.

Their boarding cards were with ours in the priority lounge in Galveston for every cruise.

Don't you just love the "no you can't and "why not wait" comments? Embarkation staff want to get every single passenger aboard ASAP and go home, the delay is 4-5 seconds for someone behind you or with FTTF. For those that are upset over this prepare to spend the next 3-7 days waiting for much of the activities on the ship and ashore.

In the legendary words of Sgt Hulka, "lighten up Francis."

If their boarding pass does not have priority on it, their check in info will be in a different area. This makes the person behind the priority check in run to another area gathering up their info. that's one, of many, of the reasons why they closed the loopholes. If it were me, I would check and see what their boarding pass says. A 20 and 22 year old are completely capapble of boarding on their own.

Pat

but your simple question ruffled feathers because the platinum/diamond lounge are usually filled to capacity and if everyone who is priority thinks its ok to bring 2, or 3 cabins along with them, it no longer is priority boarding but a crowded mess!

Pat

I have no problem with open discussions. My beef is with those who read more into a post than is really there & jump on a stranger. I see it all the time on these boards - not just Carnival - Royal and Princess as well. This may be why you see so many more views on posts than responses. It's easy enough to read through threads to get information without posting anything. But, make a post requesting a little more information to clarify something & people lose their minds.

Maybe look at it from a different direction. 7-8 people traveling together. 2 of the group leave the others to go to priority check in. Upon arriving at priority check in they discover that the cards for the 5-6 people left out in the terminal are there in priority check in. Now what? They gotta go find the rest of the party & bring them there for check in. So, if this was likely to happen, it would be nice to know in advance. The flip side is also applicable. Those 5-6 people don't want to traipse to priority only to find that they should have stayed in the regular line.

So, advance knowledge of how things are done on these linked bookings is helpful so we know if there's any point in getting out of town at 6am vs 7am or later. While I am always up early on any vacation departure day, some of my family members cherish their precious sleep. I know they would love to leave later.

Check in (where you get the cruise cards) and boarding, aren't tied to each other. Even if you were directed to get all of your cards from the same person, each cabin could have a different boarding number.

Each cabin checks in separately.

Last summer on the Pride -

we had my cabin with my niece, I'm Platinum so have priority - checked in at priority desk and would have been able to board priority;

My mom is in a wheelchair so they sent her through the priority check in (because that's where they have the lower desk on the end) but not priority boarding;

My brother's cabin was sent to a separate desk to check in (not priority) and got a higher boarding number than my parents.

To board together we were told to use the highest boarding number (my brothers) as they would not be allowed to board priority (with me) or with the lower number (my parents).

If their boarding pass does not have priority on it, their check in info will be in a different area. This makes the person behind the priority check in run to another area gathering up their info. that's one, of many, of the reasons why they closed the loopholes. If it were me, I would check and see what their boarding pass says. A 20 and 22 year old are completely capapble of boarding on their own.

Pat

I understand that, I was talking about boarding. You also might appreciate prior to our daughter being platinum we'd split the girls up after check in and they would board with us. Once she was platinum her friends card was with ours. We've also had the agents in Galveston tell us to switch with our cruising friends and have them board with us. Somewhat of a funnel host wife-swap.

If someone gets angry about one person boarding with a platinum they must really be upset when a platinum takes five guests to priority rendering or priority self-assist. Both are permissible and I do both.

How about calling carnival to tie them to your schedule so that you can board together I’m sure a carnival rep will let that be an easy fix

Priority Boarding is a perk earned based on status. Terminal crew follow the designation on the Boarding Pass. Depending on the terminal, some seat Priority Groups together and check before letting you into the area. In New Orleans, they even separated Milestones from Diamonds.

People can always board together, they just can't board as a group as Priority.