Auroras out last night

bottom-dragger

Woo hoo! Was it possible to see them with the naked eye? I thought we wouldn't stand a chance in July/August next year!

No, I saw them with my naked wife, but that's another story.

My wife has a weekly jazz show on the local public radio that ends at midnight and aurora hunting is part of her drive home. If they are really really dynamic she'll wake me up. She didn't wake me up for these but quite a few people talked about them this am.

Do you have a realistic chance of seeing them? Well, er, uh, um, probably not. But you should keep looking just to spite all of the experts that say it's impossible. Never say never.

Where were you

Petersburg is about halfway between Ketchikan and Juneau. If you're on one of the mega-cruisers we're not on your itinerary, though we get the adventure class cruise ships (Lindblad/Nat'l Geo et al) almost daily and the World of Residensea stops here about every other year.

In Denali right now.

my weather query shows Denali as mostly cloudy. not the best forecast for viewing but maybe find a way to get out of bed at 2am just because. I had a person on one of my field crews that would drink a large glass of tea before going to bed so that among other things she'd get up to see if the lights were out. She tagged so many more experiences than the rest of us.

Whats the chances of seeing them late in Sept???

We saw them on our late September cruise a few years ago. After leaving Juneau - a little after midnight. Hoping for the same blessings on our Sept cruise next year.

(btw - had to laugh at bottom-dragger's comment. We were told time and time again by an "expert" here that we'd never see them. Wrong! :rolleyes: )

We saw them on our Carnival cruise on two nights August 3rd and 4th. I missed the first night but a fellow cruiser showed me his photos. Awesome!!!

We got off the Legend on the 1st. Was really hoping to see them. Please post pictures.

and out again last night. The lovely mrs b-d did wake me up for these. But, but, but, it's impossible to see the lights this time of year. The experts told me so .....................

We are cruising (Northbound and inland-10 day trip total) on July 13-23 2018. I was so hoping to see the lights. I wasn't sure if it would even be possible as I read that there is approximately 17 hours of daylight during that time. Northern Lights are on our bucket list so seeing them while we are there would be blessing for sure!!