Aussie FF

Sydney answer by year end

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Recent mention of fast train in the media? Newcastle-Squidley 45 minutes? There must been an election in the wind.

Yeah, 4 fast trains,

Canberra to Sydney, Port Macquarie to Sydney, Nowra to Sydney and Bathurst to Sydney.

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Mmm, a railway station without any rail access. That's not going to be very helpful to run high speed trains to.

hMMM, they could bypass the main central area of Newie and go through closer to Charlestown

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yeah, 4 fast trains,

Canberra to Sydney, Port Macquarie to Sydney, Nowra to Sydney and Bathurst to Sydney.

Better yet, Melbourne to Brisbane, stopping Canberra Sydney Newcastle Coffs

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

hMMM, they could bypass the main central area of Newie and go through closer to Charlestown

I think they’re more likely t9 go West of the Lake, pretty much follow the current line

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

Doh! You had to go and say it didn't you, sire :classic_smile: I can hear glass shattering from transparent houses in Brisbane from here.

I didn't say that there wasn't corruption in Queensland, only that the corruption in Sydney has gotten in the way of a proper cruise terminal.:classic_wink:

Also that unlike the NSW government, the Queensland government can see the value of a decent cruise terminal and deliver one.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Better yet, Melbourne to Brisbane, stopping Canberra Sydney Newcastle Coffs

That was not what they announced.

5 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I didn't say that there wasn't corruption in Queensland, only that the corruption in Sydney has gotten in the way of a proper cruise terminal.:classic_wink:

Also that unlike the NSW government, the Queensland government can see the value of a decent cruise terminal and deliver one.

It helps that there was undeveloped land available in a good location as well.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That was not what they announced.

I know, mainly because currently it’s State Govt only that’s involved, my suggestion was what I think would be better, but it would need multi govt cooperation

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I think they’re more likely t9 go West of the Lake, pretty much follow the current line

Yeah, closer to Wallsend may be better.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I know, mainly because currently it’s State Govt only that’s involved, my suggestion was what I think would be better, but it would need multi govt cooperation

We have know what would be best for over 50 years, a Very Fast Train from Melbourne to Brisbane with a few stops like Wangaratta, Albury, Yass, Goulburn, Mittagong, Sydney (but not Central more like Cambelltown and Hornsby), Wyong, Newcastle (outskirts), Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Byron/Ballina,  Coolangatta and Brisbane.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We have know what would be best for over 50 years, a Very Fast Train from Melbourne to Brisbane with a few stops like Wangaratta, Albury, Yass, Goulburn, Mittagong, Sydney (but not Central more like Cambelltown and Hornsby), Wyong, Newcastle (outskirts), Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Byron/Ballina,  Coolangatta and Brisbane.

Not sure why you call that "best" as the economics of that service won't stack up.

The limited number of fast train travellers from only the outskirts of Sydney and Newcastle aren't going to pay their way. And getting a fast train to just the outskirts and then having to spend another hour on some form of slow, crowded connecting service to wherever they want to go will turn off everyone else in those cities. They'll say if I'm going to connect I may as well do it quicker.

And it won't be viable for the distance of Brisbane to Melbourne either, since the main intermediate stops are effectively ignored. Even as a fast train, that lengthy trip would still be soundly beaten by air travel. Such a route would just be a political handout. i.e. passengers on that route won't pay a premium because it's fast.

Edited by The_Big_M

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, MicCanberra said:

Yeah, 4 fast trains,

Sorry all - been holding my breath waiting for that announcement for the new Sydney cruise terminal and didn't realise there was a rail project happening.  Is this the fast train, very fast train, tilt train, ski tube, tram, light rail, scalextric or monorail?

Like successive (not successful) Governments, I am very hypoxic! :classic_blush:

6 hours ago, banzaii said:

Sorry all - been holding my breath waiting for that announcement for the new Sydney cruise terminal and didn't realise there was a rail project happening.  Is this the fast train, very fast train, tilt train, ski tube, tram, light rail, scalextric or monorail?

Like successive (not successful) Governments, I am very hypoxic! :classic_blush:

You can’t be real well if you were holding your breathe for this one.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Ohhh and I think it’s Scalectrix or Hornby.

Gravy?

9 hours ago, banzaii said:

This announcement is for the fast train, and it is not an election stunt despite the election happening in March. I believe her as lots of miracles happen at this time of year. 

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

You can’t be real well if you were holding your breathe for this one.

Breathe deeply everyone, it will take another few years although we will all be taken for a ride before the trains are running fast. 

13 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Breathe deeply everyone, it will take another few years although we will all be taken for a ride before the trains are running fast. 

I meant the new terminal.

probably get fast train first.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:17 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

We didn't have that problem in Brisbane. So it can be done.

The real problem in Sydney is that NSW state governments have turned a great deal of harbourside property from commercial docks and such, into multi-million dollar real estate developments. To the great profit of their mates, and without any concern for future requirements.

As a result, the only land left that could be used as a cruise terminal belongs to the Federal government and the Navy doesn't want to give it up. You'd have to wonder why they should have to make up for the fecklessness of NSW governments.

So the cruise community is left with such substandard options as White Bay and Botany Bay.

Greed and development, the Sydney curse.

Not really true. If you looked at the Harbour as I do everyday from a point high up in the Easter Suburbs, you’d see that plenty Harbourside land is actually unoccupied. It is a national park. It would be difficult to claim that land back for commercial use. 

Doesn't appear to be much of a useful side near to the existing OPT. You can see the harbourside land on sail past and there isn't a lot that isn't commercially built.