Rci app

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That was a quirk in the old Royal IQ app that has been discontinued.

It happened on ships which supported the Royal IQ app but it had more to do with their internet set up than the app itself. I seem to recall free texting between iPhone users still working in March on Anthem.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Is protocol to confirm with someone onboard first?

Given the RCI IT track record, on board confirmation should be the norm. Up to each person whether they trust going by just looking at the app.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 9:08 PM, Biker19 said:

Looks like the only thing that changed is they added the eMuster bits.

Can you tell me more about the eMuster on the royal apps what is it?  Is this the new way of doing Muster drills on the phone apps instead of in person on the deck?

I'm one of those people who still  have an old Android phone Samsung Galaxy S5 which using the Andoid version 6.0.1 and the Royal App does not install on that old Android version.  Would I be concern if I don't have the Royal App on my phone for the new protocols of cruising?

4 hours ago, StrikeEagle said:

Would I be concern if I don't have the Royal App on my phone for the new protocols of cruising?

The process is apparently also available via the in cabin TV, and perhaps other methods but this may be ship specific.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the app but still says Explorer and Jewell not supported. I wonder when they will be updated?  I can't imagine they have to do much hardware installation on the ship. Any ideas?

13 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

Do the ships already have pervasive WiFi or is it just limited to certain areas? That could be the reason for the delays.

That's a good question. I don't know. It seems all the newer ships have the capability not the older ships. We cruise on Explorer in November, so I hope they can get it working by then. We will need it for Emuster, menus, cruise planner and show reservations.

Edited by Sea Dog

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

Do the ships already have pervasive WiFi or is it just limited to certain areas? That could be the reason for the delays.

WiFi availability has nothing to do with the app- all ships have WiFi all over (with a few poor reception areas). Very few or any ship had any WiFi infrastructure work done in conjunction with introduction of the app. What I believe is needed to support the app is some servers and perhaps other networking gear.

19 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

What I believe is needed to support the app is some servers and perhaps other networking gear.

That's what I think too but you would think that it would not take so long to update all the ships in the fleet. Adventure has it and it's not that different than Explorer. I wonder why it's taking so long to update?

7 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

If all the ships have WiFi everywhere now then that would be less of an issue, assuming they can connect the larger number of devices at a time.

It depends on your definition of "everywhere", even the newest ships have dead spots on balconies. If you look hard enough,  you can probably find other spots. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I updated the app but still says Explorer and Jewell not supported. I wonder when they will be updated?  I can't imagine they have to do much hardware installation on the ship. Any ideas?

My guess is that these ships will appear shortly before their first cruise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soremekun said:

My guess is that these ships will appear shortly before their first cruise.

That will be my hope. Since Explorer is not cruising for awhile, you would think they would have time to do whatever upgrades need to be done. I also can't imagine that it would be that expensive but I really don't know.

• 1 month later...