Sitmar Cruise Lines/Florence & Howard Gellman

Guest debbiejohncruise

We sailed on the "first" cruise of the Dawn Princess (Sitmar Fairwind) after the buyout. It was a 10-day transCanal finishing in Acapulco. Our CD was Mark Iannazzo who came from Princess. Apart from him and the stick-on Princess logo, the ship was still Sitmar.

Our next cruise was on her sister, the Fair Princess (Sitmar Fairsea) on the Mexican Riviera in 1991 and the transition was complete by then. Our CD was Janet Edwards, the first female to be a full fledged CD on a major cruise line.

Great ships and good times. Best part, no TV in any staterooms, just 5 channels of audio. The cruises were about cruising and the unique experience of being at sea and isolated from reality.

We sailed on the "first" cruise of the Dawn Princess (Sitmar Fairwind) after the buyout. It was a 10-day transCanal finishing in Acapulco. Our CD was Mark Iannazzo who came from Princess. Apart from him and the stick-on Princess logo, the ship was still Sitmar.

Our next cruise was on her sister, the Fair Princess (Sitmar Fairsea) on the Mexican Riviera in 1991 and the transition was complete by then. Our CD was Janet Edwards, the first female to be a full fledged CD on a major cruise line.

Great ships and good times. Best part, no TV in any staterooms, just 5 channels of audio. The cruises were about cruising and the unique experience of being at sea and isolated from reality.

Mark sounds lke the director I had on the Fairsky back in 1987.

Ron

I wonder if it's the same couple. I knew the wife always had health issues. Her husband was a retired civilian from the Pentagon who worked in Naval Procurements. That's sad, if he did pass away. Nice gentleman. Debbie

The couple I am referring to he was a very successful developer I believe.

• 1 month later...
Mark sounds lke the director I had on the Fairsky back in 1987.

Ron

Ron,

I think you're right. I remembered the name right away as first an assistant CD with Sitmar, and later being promoted to CD. I sailed with him at least twice.

Cindra

I used to travel with two wonderful women from California(LA area) named Liz Anderson and Irene Anderson...no relation. The former was a dynamic redhead and the latter a tall sophisticated blonde...but they were crazy and fun and I had the best time cruising with them(on Sitmar.) Over the years I lost touch and wish I knew where they were. Liz was known to do a mean belly dance for the passenger talent show. Sometimes Irene would bring her daughter along who was more my age. They were always the life of the party wherever we went. Everyone knew them on board. Did anyone ever travel with them or know where they are now?

Cindra

• 3 weeks later...

We fell in love with Sitmar many, many years ago. Sitmar was our first and had us hooked from the very beginning. Everything and everyone was first-class in our book. I will never forget when one of the officers of the Fairwind had his family on board while we were cruising. The officer's young son took a liking to our young daughter, it was so cute to see the little ones blush when they saw each other.

We will always have fond memories of our Sitmar days.

tvaud----

We new a tall blonde name Liz Anderson who was a travel agent for American Express in California. Wonderful person, don't know if she is your same Liz.

tvaud----

We new a tall blonde name Liz Anderson who was a travel agent for American Express in California. Wonderful person, don't know if she is your same Liz.

Italy52,

No, my Liz was a redhead. Irene was a tall blonde though....but I don't believe she was ever a travel agent. Thanks, for responding though...I appreciate it.:)

Cindra

• 2 weeks later...

I took my first cruise on Sitmar's Fairsea with my 14 year old daughter in '81. It was really memorable. I still have a glass, key chain and scarf that I got. I thought at the time this ship is so big we will get lost. But my daughter and I decided to explore and it was wonderful. Then it seemed like the crew was more attentive, the office could dance with you at night. We had some great times.

• 2 months later...

Sitmar was so great. I sailed with them on my first 3 cruises from 1975-78. We sailed with Capts. Potenzoni and Lagomarsini and another I can't recall. Also Alan Kent was the CD on 2 of the cruises. Imagine our shock on our first RCCL cruise when they brought our dinner out already plated! We loved the table side service and table side cooking. On one cruise we went with my best friend's parents and in-laws and the maitre d' made something tableside for us each night. Those were the days!

• 2 weeks later...
Sitmar was so great. Imagine our shock on our first RCCL cruise when they brought our dinner out already plated! We loved the table side service and table side cooking. On one cruise we went with my best friend's parents and in-laws and the maitre d' made something tableside for us each night. Those were the days!

Bet they wouldn't even know how to do it these days...:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

My Husband sailed on the Fairsea several times and remembers Mondo the Matre`D. We ran into Mondo at a party about 10 years ago in San Francisco. I remember Captain Olsen of the Fair Sky he use to stay at our Hotel in the Penthouse with his wife. I am sorry I never had the opportunity to sail on the Sitmar line because I have heard such wonderful things about it. Happy Sailing, Joy

My husband Fred remembers Florence and Howard Gellman. He said they were delightful people. He also remembers Mondo bringing him a large bowl of caviar to the dinner table everynight. Fred misses the fact that the ships do not do this any more. I know you can order it and pay extra but then you could ask for anything and it was done. Those were the days. Happy Sailing, Joy

• 1 month later...

My wife and I sailed on Sitmar for our 10 day honeymoon cruise back in 1986. I can't remember which ship so I'll have to go look it up in my scrapbook. One thing that stands out was how isolated I felt after 10 days. This was before satellite tv, the Internet and 24 hour news shows. The only information about the outside world I received was a short paragraph or two on the morning itenerary. I didn't have time to glance at newspapers in port. My how times have changed.

• 2 weeks later...
My first three Sitmar cruises Alan Kent was my cruise director. Anyone remember him? also had Capt Potenzoni on a few times. Capt Lagomarsini was my captain on a few sailings too. Believe that is how you spell his name.

Ron

was in the movie Beaches, co starred in the Karen Valentine show, wrote for Mork n Mindy...is still alive..for all I can find out..Best ship ever..6 with 13 glasses, 1 ashtray,2 scarves that staff wore, 1 workers tshirt, b4 t's were even thought of! and a passport book..used to drive to Ft Laud to visit on board..also visited a purser in Naples in 77/78..back to cruising..5 since Nov 06, one nxt week, and one in Apr..looking at Sept..Holiday reminds me of FW, so I think that's why I love her! cozy and some outside deck to walk..yep she ruined me..did BOS 10 day in Jan...nevah agin!..Potenzoni married a pax n rtd in Fla i think..judi

Loved Sitmar! They were so fabulous! My mother loved how they always had pasta on the menu! Had both Potenzoni and Lagomarsini. We also sailed on the Fairstar and the Fairsky out of Australia! That was truly an experience: 6-8 berth cabins with communal bathrooms in the hall!

Hello, I have never sailed Sitmar, but I always wanted to..................came to cruising later in life.

There was a thread on the Princess board about a woman, a widow, that "lives" on board Princess ships. She is sailing on the Sea Princess, waiting the new Royal to be completed when she will move to that ship. The story was that she and her husband, from Santa Clarita (where Princess has their main office) used to sail often, he is gone, and she sails most of the time. I don't remember her name, and it seems to me that the thread was very active about 4-6 months ago. Could that be the same woman you are discussing?

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone else sail during the "Game Show" cruises? Remember they actually had a set constructed. I was lucky enough to win a few items. I still have my luggage tote with the logo and a game show t-shirt. Gee, I have to dig that one out. I used to love to "lift" things from each cruise. I have one of those wool Sitmar blankets in the trunk of my car...a teapot...and a set of silverware with the logo clearly imprinted on it. I was obsessed. I miss all of those Italians too...

Our cruise 25 years ago for our honeymoon was with a line out of Fort Lauderdale called Sitmar Cruise Lines. It was an excellent 2 week cruise in May 81 throughout the Caribbean. We still have contact with a couple who dined with us on board, who retired in Florida by the names of Howard and Florence Gellman. I know they took a lot of cruises in their lifetime but we have not heard from them this year. Anyone ever have the fortune of meeting this couple or cruising this line when it existed???

Ah yes! Sitmar was the best - Italians sure know how to make a great pizza especially on Sitmar! Took my first Sitmar cruise to Mexico in 12/74 - $560 for 14 days! I have also been on the Fairstar which sailed around Australia and the South Pacific which not too many people had heard about because they never advertised here in the US - probably because their standard was not as good as here or other parts of the world! I still had a great time and I was fortunate to sail on her 3 times! By the time I paid my airfare over there, I could've had the suite on board! Booked a 6-berth cabin and our bathroom was down the hall - talk about living like the crew - it was one big party boat and our room was like a girls' dorm - the memories I cherish! Have also been on many of the other Sitmar ships before Princess bought them out like Fairsea, Fairwind, Fairsky and then the Fair Majesty actually became the Star Princess back in 1989 when the changeover occurred.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so excited to see this. My first cruise (age 10) was on the Fairwind. My second (age 16) was on the Fairsky. I loved these trips and they made me a lifelong cruiser and traveler. All I really remember was that I had a blast and that the ships looked like ships. You know what I mean, lots of teak, mahogany, shiny brass. Lots of Italian love, too. I remember the Italian matre'de (sp) and the waiter kissing me every night when I went to dinner. I also remember that people dressed to impress. Formal meant formal.

Ahhhh, thanks for the memories.

Ok, I really have to go down to the basement and find my old Sitmar scrapbooks now. I hope there are lots of photos from the ship's interior and not just people. I know I have a video somewhere that I took on the Fairsea. The friends I always sailed with had always started their cruises at the bar, so we were toasted...and hadn't even left port yet. I do remember lots of laughter on that tape. Oh, those were the days...:rolleyes:

My first cruise was with my grandparents on a 10 day to Alaska on the Fairsea in July 87. After the first night our waiter Antonio always had a chocolate milk waiting at the table for me. The pizzeria was great. The pool was fun too even at 55 degrees. Every night at dinner was at least a jacket and tie affair.

I just have to add my two cents after reading all these great posts. I sailed on Sitmar many times: '81 Fairwind (Carib), '85 Fairsky (Alaska), '86 Fairsky (Carib), '88 Fairsea (Mexico). On the Fairsky, even when just my parents went without me they always had cabin L67. It was an inside cabin but on the deck with all the mini-suites so they felt special being on the same deck. We sailed with Alan Kent (greatest CD!). Some great memories were waiters cooking tableside all those great italian meals, the pizzaria was to die for.

I remember our cabin on our first Fairwind cruise. It was an "outside" cabin (meaning one porthole!) and tiny! To use my blow dryer I had to go down the hall to the communal bathroom and wait in line!

I remember throwing confetti when we sailed away. I remember the deck stewards putting towels on the lounge chairs for me and tying them tight so they wouldn't blow away. I remember coming onboard and going poolside to the big buffet of sandwiches and great treats and sweets waiting for us until we sailed away. I remember driving my parents to LA and going onboard THEIR cruise and eating(!) and visiting until it was time for visitors to leave the ship!

I remember our cabin on the Fairsea. It was across from my parents' "minisuite". Our cabin was like a closet. Just an inside, one lower and one upper, a chair, dresser and tiny bathroom. If you had a suitcase open on the floor the suitcase took up the entire floor of the room!

I remember our room stewards always walking the halls and fixing us a sandwich, get a drink, or crackers or whatever we wanted from their little kitchens just down the hall. I remember the great dinner bells. And don't forget the great midnight buffets that actually were at midnight! Too many memories to list. I still have my Circolo log book, a Fairsky ashtray (that somehow got in my dad's suitcase!), some passenger lists and some menus.

Great memories all around! Keep posting!

P.S. I almost forgot one last memory! On our Fairsky trip to Alaska (from SF) in 1985, my mom and dad were booked to go. At the last minute due to an illness my mom couldn't make the trip so I went in her place. Our tickets still said my mom's name and at the terminal my dad just said that the travel agent "made a mistake" on the passenger names and they let me onboard! That would NEVER happen nowadays!

I remember our room stewards always walking the halls and fixing us a sandwich, get a drink, or crackers or whatever we wanted from their little kitchens just down the hall.

I remember just sticking my head out the door and calling my cabin steward's name and he'd answer. They were always close by to attend you. That went out the porthole along with so many other wonderful parts of cruising.

I too have my Circolo booklet. I brought it with me when I sailed on the Crown Princess last October...and wore my Circolo pin at the Captain's Club party. So many people, mostly crew, came over to see it. They had heard so much about them and wanted to see the book especially for themselves. I got lots of positive feedback.

I love, and still use, many of the things I "lifted" off of my Sitmar ships over the years. They always make me smile.

Did anyone else "collect" any Sitmar items when you sailed? Still have the items? :D

I have several things from Sitmar. I have a key change that one of the officers gave me, a glass with their emblem on it, my Circolo booket, a scarf and a set of menus. They are all packed away some where. I have an album that a friend started full of pictures. I loved that cruise line.

Delores

I still have a Fairwind necktie that I still wear and a pen with a Fairwind logo that still works! I think I still have my purloined Sitmar ashtray somewhere, but I have no idea where.

Our cruise was the first we booked on Sitmar and became the last. The big regret is that the shop was almost giving away all of their logo merchandise because when the ship turned at Acapulco, she was to be a full Princess ship and the Sitmar swag was no longer to be sold.

I just picked up the tie and pen not thinking at all about the potential future value of the Sitmar and Fairwind logo stuff.

Archived