JEWEL b2b (Greece/W Med) semi-live Aug24 - Sept14 REVIEW w/lots of photos

I'm very interested in your comments about Chops. We're currently on Brilliance and have eaten in Chops twice. While enjoyable it's not hugely better than MDR, either the Lamb Chops or Lobster Bisque. Plus, they have NO Ribeye steaks onboard! With a small menu we found that very surprising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm very interested in your comments about Chops. We're currently on Brilliance and have eaten in Chops twice. While enjoyable it's not hugely better than MDR, either the Lamb Chops or Lobster Bisque. Plus, they have NO Ribeye steaks onboard! With a small menu we found that very surprising.

Wow, interesting. I had a theory that you may have just shot down... Food here on Jewel has been miles better in specialty compared to MDR. I had the lamb at MTD last week and was no where close to Chops. My theory was that food sourced in Europe way better than what they buy for cruisers in the USA... From the meats, charcuterie/olives/etc for antipasti, the pasta, produce is super fresh, etc.

I would have assumed brilliance would have great food as well. Goes to show you as discussed often on this forum that food is highly subjective from one person to another, Food varies quite often from ship to ship in same home port, and Brilliance Chef/sous chefs/kitchen staff maybe not as good as on Jewel... Or food sourced in Barcelona not as good as in Rome? 4 possible reasons out likely a hundred. Hope it gets better for you [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll start this segment by simply saying that Cagliari was a let down after awesome Barcelona and gorgeous Palma De Mallorca. The city itself is not in the same calibre. Looked much more beautiful at sail-in and sitting here staring at it in the CL with a couple of Mai Tai's, however inside not as alluring

We booked the Segway tour which is unavailable with RCL... Poor decision actually, super easy to find and good organization. The city itself is extremely hilly and very steep, not easy for anyone who is mobility challenged. The Segway is a fantastic motorized option and a ton of fun

a89ce2ff89493b9ab6cc93ab70b37e1a.jpg

60fff6bb7079c41d5b89453a58c1cf94.jpg

Tour started at 1pm and ended around 3:30pm with a cafe stop for a beer or Prosecco (incl in price). Really nice pace and fun. I took

Most photos with my Sony camera so not much to share here for this tour

525480844f4bb3abc0db966e67c6afd6.jpg

It's been a long couple of weeks, and we just weren't feeling it... So we went back to the ship early to chill and get late afternoon sun at pool deck.

dbbe79373f27db3a6a70f3abd3b657dc.jpg

Jewel is docked right under the flight path of the airport here in Cagliari

f97adeacca4bd4f9ae7e7af2aca3269c.jpg

Zoom of the old town from deck 12

7c5af75c70cf88a92f7a86d02b15df43.jpg

RCL, CL Diego in particular, has been great to me today. Besides the nice b-day surprise in Chops last night, gf had Diego arrange breakfast and champagne delivers to the room this morning with breakfast on the balcony. Getting back to the room after sun tanning our room was done up with birthday favours on the door and hanging from the ceiling inside, courtesy Diego. Also in the CL we had another b-day so he had the entire CL sing us happy birthday, fun day so far! Hitting Izumis soon. Also Queat tonight....

OMG!!!!..... I better not have any surprises waiting for me there! (EEK!)

Many thanks, Hoopster, for all your posts. We find them particularly interesting for two reasons: first, we have Eastern Med on our list 'to do', and second, we are booked on the Jewel for the trans-At in November. Looks like a gorgeous ship. Your photos are terrific!

Thank you so much for these posts. You have done far more than you imagine in helping me to iron out our itninerary when we sail next September. Grece and Utaly are my gf's ultimate buclet list countries and i want her to have the time of her life....this helps a ton!!

We also live in Canada and I look forward to your full review when you post it.

Thanks again,

Brian J.

Wow, interesting. I had a theory that you may have just shot down... Food here on Jewel has been miles better in specialty compared to MDR. I had the lamb at MTD last week and was no where close to Chops. My theory was that food sourced in Europe way better than what they buy for cruisers in the USA... From the meats, charcuterie/olives/etc for antipasti, the pasta, produce is super fresh, etc.

I would have assumed brilliance would have great food as well. Goes to show you as discussed often on this forum that food is highly subjective from one person to another, Food varies quite often from ship to ship in same home port, and Brilliance Chef/sous chefs/kitchen staff maybe not as good as on Jewel... Or food sourced in Barcelona not as good as in Rome? 4 possible reasons out likely a hundred. Hope it gets better for you [emoji4]

I think you misunderstood what I probably phrased badly. The MDR food has been wonderful, much better than Navigator and Rhapsody last year. The difference to the quality in Chops therefore was minimal. Cheese, cold meats etc have been great, fish very tasty and most of the Beef wonderful.

I think you misunderstood what I probably phrased badly. The MDR food has been wonderful, much better than Navigator and Rhapsody last year. The difference to the quality in Chops therefore was minimal. Cheese, cold meats etc have been great, fish very tasty and most of the Beef wonderful.

Ahhhh! So my theory is possibly right? [emoji6]

I remember coming off Serenade 3 yrs ago and posted in my review how RCL had turned the corner regarding food after many CC posts and complaints.... And then I tasted the drop off again the last couple years with North American sailings.

I truly feel that the food is so much better in quality in Europe vs. North America. Even the freshness of the tomatoes and mozzarella for example in typical Rome eateries kicks butt over typical establishments at home. Sad really [emoji19]

Posting live from deck 12. Here's my view as we speak laying on my tummy looking out over the pool deck

e33ea75beaeb382140a2dcb22151eda6.jpg

I have never seen a RCL staff remove items from any loungers even though I have seen many empty for over an hour, however friends of ours had their stuff removed from Solarium and now are searching for empty chairs. The only sea day today so makes sense that many cruisers out early today saving chairs (I witnessed at 7:30am grabbing coffee from CL) so staff likely diligent today.

Happy birthday!!!! Sounds and looks simply amazing!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you!!![emoji3] Yep, you're going to have a great cruise next month Debbie. Staff is totally awesome, one of best overall crews in a while. Food is excellent. Entertainers aren't up to par as larger ships but doesn't matter for this itinerary. This is my best cruise since Jewel southern and Serenade back in Med 3 yrs ago.....

Fancy that... All 3 Radiance class, and 4th fave would be our Hawaii crossing you and I were on, again on Radiance. Not bad for a busy guy like me who professed to like the bigger ships better than Radiance Class, right? [emoji6]

Happy birthday!!

Thank you[emoji3]

Here's a couple of pics of what Diego ordered for my room. Supposedly $30 to order this, but gf wasn't going buy it Diego decided to go ahead gratis. I didn't know this was an item anyone can order for a surprise, so you can do this for Anniversary, etc as well.

98658367fc08670fdd04b1091eaf1609.jpg

7096b6994e204ea577bc1f2905d5eaa6.jpg

Get to keep the fun Photo frame

7789cfce26c3b96ce6a4af61a0989a3f.jpg

And also get to keep this hanging photo metal clip wire that is suspended by a magnet on the ceiling... Great idea for a stateroom, leave notes for Family, etc

140f47e59a172149449a4e3a235a9165.jpg

9731e435664632d55bd553fdaa8529d1.jpg

Many thanks, Hoopster, for all your posts. We find them particularly interesting for two reasons: first, we have Eastern Med on our list 'to do', and second, we are booked on the Jewel for the trans-At in November. Looks like a gorgeous ship. Your photos are terrific!

You're welcome Doug! Fair warning..... I think things will be mega different on the TA, Diego has mentioned that the Diamond and above numbers are crazy for that sailing. I've felt I've had private service and attention everyday, I don't think it'll be possible in the TA for the staff.

I posted C&A numbers last week..... This week

6 PNs

24 D+

Approx 70 D (up from about 45 last week)

Diego says the upcoming 9 day sailings the numbers rise significantly Roth up to the TA (ie. B2bs both here in Med & Southern Carib)

Also, all of you who know the CL'a really well for years and appreciate them, Diego has been on Jewel for over 10 years.... His contract is up

In February and he's not returning to RCL. He'll be a big loss to RCL, great guy and great personality.

Thank you so much for these posts. You have done far more than you imagine in helping me to iron out our itninerary when we sail next September. Grece and Utaly are my gf's ultimate buclet list countries and i want her to have the time of her life....this helps a ton!!

We also live in Canada and I look forward to your full review when you post it.

Thanks again,

Brian J.

Hey you're welcome neighbor!

What city you from?

Expand my signature and take a look through my "Serenade" review, best itinerary ever.

I would not need to do this last 7 day itinerary again... I would instead opt for 3 days in Barcelona and a quick flight (or ferry) over to Palma for another 3 days. I've also done Malaga/Granada/Sevilla/Gibraltar on land and Spain is a country to be visited on land, definitely not a port stop. Greece for me is magical for a cruise vacation .... Different islands, easy days getting around, an extra sea day. Have fun planning [emoji2][emoji2]

For any of you sailing soon, here's a short

List of a few people to say hi to for me if you care to do so as they are VERY good servers, let alone friendly nice people... They'll talk to

You about family, life on board, anything. Superb people:

Of course CL Diego.

Dr. Ravi ... Bar tender in CL. From day 1 on the money and attentive

i Ketut... CL morning staff re breakfast/coffee machine/etc. Note he also works Izumi in the evening

Jeffrey... DL morning server and Giovannis waiter (leaving in Oct)

Joana... Waiter in Izumi, superb service, knows so much about the food, where/how prepared, etc.

So 14 days and where's the best food for us? Giovannis really good! Chops really good! But the winner is... Drum roll please... Once again Izumi!!! Remember this is coming from a couple who live in the Vancouver area we eat Asian/Indian/pho/you-name-it weekly at home. Just superb food, quality, presentation, service from everyone. Go up to the sheds and they'll talk to you and show you things... So cool. And a very underestimated venue with superb view out back deck 12 where SeaviewCafe used to be

Here's a few photos from last night....

Octopus and tuna Tatake carpaccio pics from

Last week already posted, here's Yellowtail and Salmon sashimi

53d46d7affc4d737bc6e02d678fad3de.jpg

Last week I showed pics of various rolls

Incl the lobster... This week all different incl the eel (foreground) and the most expensive Futomaki (assorted sashimi, prawn tempura, avocado, etc) in the middle. OMG so good

3dd6a5850abd5572be2411f0a11bde61.jpg

Fyi....

If you're on a dining package you get $50 per person.... That is NOT a typo... $50 per person to buy whatever you want in the menu. So that's $100 for two folks. Totally awesome. Fully recommend

Also note, on board:

Giovannis $29... Pre-cruise planner $20

Chops $35... Pre-cruise planner $29

Little Britain also reported this a couple

Of Months ago. In my humble Opinion, buy the 4 or 5 night package, works out to about $20 per person..... Such a good value, again in my humble Opinion, in Comparison to MDR. Just close your eyes and pretend that added package price is added to your total cruise fair [emoji6]

Thank you[emoji3]

Here's a couple of pics of what Diego ordered for my room. Supposedly $30 to order this, but gf wasn't going buy it Diego decided to go ahead gratis. I didn't know this was an item anyone can order for a surprise, so you can do this for Anniversary, etc as well.

98658367fc08670fdd04b1091eaf1609.jpg

7096b6994e204ea577bc1f2905d5eaa6.jpg

Get to keep the fun Photo frame

7789cfce26c3b96ce6a4af61a0989a3f.jpg

And also get to keep this hanging photo metal clip wire that is suspended by a magnet on the ceiling... Great idea for a stateroom, leave notes for Family, etc

140f47e59a172149449a4e3a235a9165.jpg

9731e435664632d55bd553fdaa8529d1.jpg

Awesome! I was a geek and bought that for myself last summer since it was my birthday cruise even if a couple of weeks early. :)

We have known Diego since he was on the Legend of the Seas 10 years ago. Absolutely the best employee Royal Caribbean could ever have. If you have a chance, tell him that Senora Professora Nancy and her husband Paul said hello.

Hey you're welcome neighbor!

What city you from?

Vancouver - Olympic Village. From our 9th floor I can just see the tops of cruise ships pulling out for Alaska at 5:00pm most evenings. Thanks for the warning about huge numbers of Diamond on our trans-At. Unrealistic expectations are a sure-fire enjoyment killer so now we know. This will be our fourth trans-At - the ship is the destination!

Doug

We have known Diego since he was on the Legend of the Seas 10 years ago. Absolutely the best employee Royal Caribbean could ever have. If you have a chance, tell him that Senora Professora Nancy and her husband Paul said hello.

Ha!!! I showed this post to Diego as I read it in the CL and he said "how do you know the Shermans??" Lol. He loved it and says hello back to you. I only got a chance for a pic

With him on my Sony camera, and Gf's handheld also. I tried taking picture from the Sony screen but it's really poor quality... I'll

Post in in my regular review and here's the poor quality shot

491ddfddce2087d78a4dcdfdf06b0f17.jpg