Jump to content

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

 Van Dieman's Land?  Some great convict and colonial history in Tasmania. I love the place. If I was 10 years younger I would move there.

If I had done law earlier (especially with some experience teaching at Uni) and Mrs Gut her PhD we would be there already, she would probably be working at Port Arthur

Link to post
Share on other sites

Port Arthur... stay at the motel which a joins it back in 2008..

and did the night ghost tour.... as one does

Also got the job as tail end charlie with the lantern 

 

afterwards we were allowed to walk back through the grounds from the main building  to the entrance gate to the motel about 0.5 km by ourselves... particularly walking through the church... it was some what unnerving...

 

Don

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Port Arthur... stay at the motel which a joins it back in 2008..

and did the night ghost tour.... as one does

Also got the job as tail end charlie with the lantern 

 

afterwards we were allowed to walk back through the grounds from the main building  to the entrance gate to the motel about 0.5 km by ourselves... particularly walking through the church... it was some what unnerving...

 

Don

And haunted after the massacre too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And haunted after the massacre too.

If there is haunting it goes back to way before the one whose name I refuse to utter. No shortage of deaths their plenty of suicides even. Though standing outside the old cafe was moving, we were there only a year or two after the massacre.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

If there is haunting it goes back to way before the one whose name I refuse to utter. No shortage of deaths their plenty of suicides even. Though standing outside the old cafe was moving, we were there only a year or two after the massacre.

It sure was, we were there just months after the masssacre. It was such a sad experience. I find the whole complex haunting, almost eerie. That day, it was sunny and there was a bright blue sky, so beautiful but heartbreaking.

 

Leigh

Link to post
Share on other sites

Found some GF choc eclairs (frozen) at local iga yesterday, made by Gluten Free Bakery, from Qld I think.  Not bad, a little chewy perhaps.

 

Eclair-Chocolate-Pk3-Gluten-Free__53997.1550978534.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have several friends that have problems with gluten Les, most truly must stay away from it and one that thinks she feels better going gluten free. One of my co-workers who is incredibly talented working with veneers is an avid baker, she used to bring treats in for us every couple of weeks; unfortunately she was recently advised by her doctor to go gluten free (I don't know why not my place to ask) Anyway no treats for some months, until this week. She has been exploring gluten free baking and she brought in some of the best chocolate chunk cookies made with almond flour. I hope she experiments some more 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I have several friends that have problems with gluten Les, most truly must stay away from it and one that thinks she feels better going gluten free. One of my co-workers who is incredibly talented working with veneers is an avid baker, she used to bring treats in for us every couple of weeks; unfortunately she was recently advised by her doctor to go gluten free (I don't know why not my place to ask) Anyway no treats for some months, until this week. She has been exploring gluten free baking and she brought in some of the best chocolate chunk cookies made with almond flour. I hope she experiments some more 🙂

A lot of gluten free pretenders and gf fad diet people out there Lyle. They steal all the gf food on the ships, lol.  If you are not a medically diagnosed coeliac or perhaps have IBS, irritiable bowel syndrome, you dont need gf.  Many people think they are coeliac but only test is a small bowel  biopsy, which I had when it struck in 2011. You dont want it mate. A bugger when travelling.

Edited by NSWP
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NSWP said:

A lot of gluten free pretenders and gf fad diet people out there Lyle. They steal all the gf food on the ships, lol.  If you are not a medically diagnosed coeliac or perhaps have IBS, irritiable bowel syndrome, you dont need gf. 

It is definitely not something I would go to for a fad. I have tried a few thing that friends have baked and most were not that appealing but one must be polite. I have tried things just to be aware and mostly disappointing. The cookies Emilia made were truly tasty and I enjoyed them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It is definitely not something I would go to for a fad. I have tried a few thing that friends have baked and most were not that appealing but one must be polite. I have tried things just to be aware and mostly disappointing. The cookies Emilia made were truly tasty and I enjoyed them. 

Imagine never being able to have a fair dinkum pie, beer, bread roll, pastry or 🍕 for the rest of your life. i dont entertain at home, too hard for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NSWP said:

A lot of gluten free pretenders and gf fad diet people out there Lyle. They steal all the gf food on the ships, lol.  If you are not a medically diagnosed coeliac or perhaps have IBS, irritiable bowel syndrome, you dont need gf.  Many people think they are coeliac but only test is a small bowel  biopsy, which I had when it struck in 2011. You dont want it mate. A bugger when travelling.

 

Awhile back was a comedy show that asked people on the street if they were on a GF diet if they did yes they would ask then "so what is gluten?" None of them knew the answer😂. Some of them said it was a fat or a toxin and one guy said "I have no idea but everyone I know is avoiding it" 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

 

Awhile back was a comedy show that asked people on the street if they were on a GF diet if they did yes they would ask then "so what is gluten?" None of them knew the answer😂. Some of them said it was a fat or a toxin and one guy said "I have no idea but everyone I know is avoiding it" 🤣

Of course it is a protein that destroys the small bowel villi. Big gastrointestinal problems. When it hit me in 2011, in 6 months, my weight dropped from 100kg to 60kg. I nearly died. People on gf fad diet do not humour me. Many chefs hate us, too much trouble, fair dinkum. But not on the ships, staff are great, very obliging.


Thank you for your interest re coeliac disease.

Edited by NSWP
Link to post
Share on other sites

At a couple of cafes we go to regularly our favourite cakes are gluten free. In fact up until a year or so that was the only option at one of those cafes. They are almond meal based and very moist. Yummy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

At a couple of cafes we go to regularly our favourite cakes are gluten free. In fact up until a year or so that was the only option at one of those cafes. They are almond meal based and very moist. Yummy!

In Sydney yes, but in country and regional areas, very difficult. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 9:32 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, probably too stuck in traditional CWA fare.

More like could not be bothered. CWA cakes are not sold in shops, just at the monthly gathering of old 🦆 ducks at the CWA hall, or the annual Moruya country show.😀

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NSWP said:

More like could not be bothered. CWA cakes are not sold in shops, just at the monthly gathering of old 🦆 ducks at the CWA hall, or the annual Moruya country show.😀

 

 

 

But the cake shops probably sell items based on those recipes instead of keeping up with new trends and dietary issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 3:34 PM, NSWP said:

A lot of gluten free pretenders and gf fad diet people out there Lyle. They steal all the gf food on the ships, lol.  If you are not a medically diagnosed coeliac or perhaps have IBS, irritiable bowel syndrome, you dont need gf.  Many people think they are coeliac but only test is a small bowel  biopsy, which I had when it struck in 2011. You dont want it mate. A bugger when travelling.

I agree. Some people claim they are gluten intolerant without a medical diagnosis. They seem to adopt this diet as a fad. I know one of these. There is an hilarious video made by Mike Moore titled something like "You can be gluten intolerant too". After my son played it for me I asked him if he showed it to his wife's relative who is one of the 'fad gluten intolerant' people - no diagnosis there. He just laughed and said that he hadn't and he wouldn't. He wants to keep harmony in the family.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NSWP said:

More like could not be bothered. CWA cakes are not sold in shops, just at the monthly gathering of old 🦆 ducks at the CWA hall, or the annual Moruya country show.😀

 

 

 

 

I'll bring some gluten free goodies for you from the big city Les when we visit next year and I will also find room in my gear for a can of Timmy's coffee for you 😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2021 at 3:58 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

But the cake shops probably sell items based on those recipes instead of keeping up with new trends and dietary issues.

No, we are in a time warp down here, gf friands,that is it. I just got queried by the motel manager here at Merimbula when I requested gf toast for brekkie, like was i coeliac or not As

 gf bread was $8 a loaf and ordinary stuff from woolies is $2,50.  No worries, used to that crap by now.

Edited by NSWP
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Stopped for lunch at the Beechworth bakery in Ballarat.

 

Pie was OK 3.5 /5

20210309_135355.thumb.jpg.fbbb0a6425bff101dfd89a0db85bc891.jpg

 

The cream doughut was quite nice, 4.5/5. I haven't had one of those in years.

20210309_132703.thumb.jpg.915be919afca7d1a59f3001d53f0a979.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Stopped for lunch at the Beechworth bakery in Ballarat.

 

Pie was OK 3.5 /5

20210309_135355.thumb.jpg.fbbb0a6425bff101dfd89a0db85bc891.jpg

 

The cream doughut was quite nice, 4.5/5. I haven't had one of those in years.

20210309_132703.thumb.jpg.915be919afca7d1a59f3001d53f0a979.jpg

Some stole the hole from your donut.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Some stole the hole from your donut.

An interesting thing to note is that holes in doughnuts did not occur until someone invented the hand powered dough dispenser. Up until then doughnuts were of they type that most now call a Jam Doughnut, the flattened round ball with a squirt of jam inside. What we call a Jam Doughnut, in Germany is called a "Berliner", which is why the crowd roared in laughter when Jack Kennedy declared during a speech in Berlin, "Ich bin ein Berliner", which translates to "I am a doughnut".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...