re meat pies

Pasties were also popular for lunches in the gold mines of Bendigo. We did a tour there once that included an underground trip into the mine and that was where I first learnt that the thick crusty edge of the pastie was designed as a "handle" and wasn't eaten so that they didn't ingest substances from their hands.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Pasties were also popular for lunches in the gold mines of Bendigo. We did a tour there once that included an underground trip into the mine and that was where I first learnt that the thick crusty edge of the pastie was designed as a "handle" and wasn't eaten so that they didn't ingest substances from their hands.

Cornish miners came to Australia to make their fortunes in the gold rush and there were many in the Ballarat and Bendigo gold fields.  From the 1840s, many went to South Australia to the Moonta area and worked in the copper mines. There is a large Cornish Festival held biennially in the area.

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Cornish miners came to Australia to make their fortunes in the gold rush and there were many in the Ballarat and Bendigo gold fields.  From the 1840s, many went to South Australia to the Moonta area and worked in the copper mines. There is a large Cornish Festival held biennially in the area.

The miners often had their pets with them in the mines , hence the popularity of Corndogs in SA.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The miners often had their pets with them in the mines , hence the popularity of Corndogs in SA.

Always corndogs at the Easter show, covered in tomato sauce.  Did not know it was dog meat lol.

th (2).jpg

download.jpg

Edited by NSWP

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Had one of these for lunch today, bit cool down here, 20C, got a jumper on. 

I guess we made a good call in postponing our trip down your way until next month - weather here not so good either.

I'm thinking of visiting Harry's in Penrith for a pie over the weekend!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mr walker said:

I guess we made a good call in postponing our trip down your way until next month - weather here not so good either.

I'm thinking of visiting Harry's in Penrith for a pie over the weekend!

I hope Batemans Bay reopens for you Neil. So many local restaurants, cafes closed, staff shortages, paranoid about covid, had covid contacts, closed down because cannot afford rents. I went for a walk around town early this morning, normally around half a dozen cafes operating for brekkie, only one this morning.  

Because so many eateries gone, a few food vans have moved in and are doing ok.  They move around the shire, beach areas, caravan parks etc.

Perhaps we need a Harrys? enjoy your Harrys pie.

503405251_3cafedewheels.jpg.070678e551513703805d1804eacd7d8f.jpg

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

I hope Batemans Bay reopens for you Neil. So many local restaurants, cafes closed, staff shortages, paranoid about covid, had covid contacts, closed down because cannot afford rents. I went for a walk around town early this morning, normally around half a dozen cafes operating for brekkie, only one this morning.  

Because so many eateries gone, a few food vans have moved in and are doing ok.  They move around the shire, beach areas, caravan parks etc.

I thought that all the tourists in Jan would have given the area a kick-on. We’ll come down & do our bit 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

So insanely humid here at the moment that the shower is foggy on the outside.  

I recall the bad humidity days in Auckland, I lived with Sydney's bad humidity days for over 25 years, and I've travelled to Singapore a number of times which has permanent bad humidity. But I learnt that I really didn't know what insane humidity was until a cruise port stop landed me in Charleston, US, in late August. Take NZ or Sydney humidity and square it! It was unbelievably bad. I rarely complain about humid days here after that experience.

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

That is sad that so many of your local restaurants and cafes have closed.  Since the NSW Border opened, our three local cafes close at 3 pm.  Their busiest time is breakfast.  I miss the Vietnamese food on Friday and Saturday nights and lunch.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mr walker said:

I thought that all the tourists in Jan would have given the area a kick-on. We’ll come down & do our bit 

When the tourists were here in January, many of the places were still closed, paranoid of covid and staff shortages, so they said. The two big clubs, Golfie and the Rissole are still going ok, but many others suffering.