Cruise Critic Community

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Good stuff, is it still available?  We had it in tins in the Army - Compo Rations.  Some liken the Kraft processed bloke as akin to a bar of soap, in looks and taste perhaps?   Being a 'cheesaholic' I do not mind it.

On another note, I feel my new avatar is a bit 'Cheesy.' 😆

I'll give you the guts on processed cheddar cheese. To a certain factory is where quite a bit of the production of the Bodalla Cheese Factory went. Now as was told to me by the Cheesmaker at Bodalla, by "processed" they mean that they take perfectly good Cheddar cheese and whip it with water, and end up with more processed cheese than the cheddar they started with, this is then packaged as Processed Cheddar Cheese, and bears very little taste resemblance to the original.

11 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I'll give you the guts on processed cheddar cheese. To a certain factory is where quite a bit of the production of the Bodalla Cheese Factory went. Now as was told to me by the Cheesmaker at Bodalla, by "processed" they mean that they take perfectly good Cheddar cheese and whip it with water, and end up with more processed cheese than the cheddar they started with, this is then packaged as Processed Cheddar Cheese, and bears very little taste resemblance to the original.

Thank you.  Bodalla cheese factory has gone now.   A very small cheese maker and tasting at 'The Dairyshed' tourist place at Bodalla.  Small one still operating at Tilba.  But Bega Cheese 'has it' all, just like McDonalds.   The Aldi vintage cheese used to be good and sharp, but these days, not vintaged enough in my opinion, quite mild.   Aldi cheeses are also manufactured by Bega, or so it is alleged.

If you get the chance to travel on P&O UK, their cheese boards at lunch and dinner, buffet and MDR are very good, often some great English cheeses stocked, dependent on cruise location.

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I've had cheddar in Cheddar that hadn't been messed with. Noice.

Indeed, Cheddar Gorge and all that. Have you had Cheshire Cheese in Cheshire and Leicester cheese in Leicestershire?   Perhaps some Stilton cheese in Stilton, very nice also.  And for a genuine Olde English pork pie, it has to be from Melton Mowbray, its ancestral home. 

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Indeed, Cheddar Gorge and all that. Have you had Cheshire Cheese in Cheshire and Leicester cheese in Leicestershire? Very nice also.

Sad to say I haven't. They are cheeses I would not have been familiar with at the time (22 years ago) but when we drove down the gorge we just had to stop and try some.

3 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Sad to say I haven't. They are cheeses I would not have been familiar with at the time (22 years ago) but when we drove down the gorge we just had to stop and try some.

I shall be in that area again next April/May, Somerset, Wiltshire, post Arcadia.  A Ploughmans Lunch is a great feed.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Have to keep a look out for it.  I don't mind the Cracker Barrel, made by Warrnambool Cheese these days.

CB_Range.jpg

Warrnambool Cheese makes some great cheese. We visit their shop and cafe most times we are in Warrnambool. They have a range called Great Ocean Road which we love  and can be purchased at Coles (well in Victoria anyway). Also make the best milkshakes and thickshakes. The grandkids and their parents always visit just for a milkshake. 

Leigh

GOR_Cheese_Range.jpg

Edited by possum52

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I've had cheddar in Cheddar that hadn't been messed with. Noice.

It is indeed. We had a very enjoyable ploughmans lunch there, then drove through the stunning gorge.

DH keeps a lookout for a blue cheese called The Stinking Bishop when we're visiting the UK. It's very nice.

22 hours ago, possum52 said:

Warrnambool Cheese makes some great cheese. We visit their shop and cafe most times we are in Warrnambool. They have a range called Great Ocean Road which we love  and can be purchased at Coles (well in Victoria anyway). Also make the best milkshakes and thickshakes. The grandkids and their parents always visit just for a milkshake. 

Leigh

GOR_Cheese_Range.jpg

Probably produce the same cheese and it leaves the factory in different labels.   My Cracker Barrel is probably the same cheese as Great Ocean Road cheese, not seen that here, too far north.

Edited by NSWP

Cracker Barrel Special Reserve is great.  Aged 32 months.

CB.png

Edited by NSWP

22 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

DH keeps a lookout for a blue cheese called The Stinking Bishop when we're visiting the UK. It's very nice.

One of my favourites.

59 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

One of my favourites.

Are you a traveller to UK Gut ? or a devotee of blue cheese?    I don't like that blue vein stuff.  Must be nearly time for a glass of pinot noire and a chunk of cracker barrel.  No, have to wait until 5pm.

Quiet on here, Uncle Mic is away on Pacific Aria to PNG.   I hope he does not convert to Boganism.🤣

Edited by NSWP

9 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Are you a traveller to UK Gut ? or a devotee of blue cheese?    I don't like that blue vein stuff.  Must be nearly time for a glass of pinot noire and a chunk of cracker barrel.  No, have to wait until 5pm.

Quiet on here, Uncle Mic is away on Pacific Aria to PNG.   I hope he does not convert to Boganism.🤣

A devotee if most cheeses. A very good family friend owned a delicatessen and introduced me from a fairly young age to a wide range of cheeses. At home it was only the above for mentioned boxed cheddar.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Aldi do a nice Dolce Gorgozola, very creamy and very dolce on the blue taste. I can handle up to the best of the Danish Blues, real sinus clearing stuff.

3 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Aldi do a nice Dolce Gorgozola, very creamy and very dolce on the blue taste. I can handle up to the best of the Danish Blues, real sinus clearing stuff.

Yes, Gorgonzola Dolce and Dolce Latte are very nice. Roquefort can be a bit too sharp for me, as can some Stiltons although the one they use on Princess for the P.E.S. events is very nice.

But I mostly prefer Bries, Camemberts and washed rind cheeses. Especially when they are afew days past their labelled use-by date. Actually we once scored a real bargain with one of those. I'd seen it in a store and went back to buy it a couple of days later (on a Friday) but there was none on the shelf. I asked a staff member, who then asked me when I was planning in eating it. When I said "tomorrow" the staff member went out the back and got some and gave me a massive discount on it. The use-by date wasn't until the Monday and we enjoyed it for a week or more, after buying two packs of it. 

It certainly looks interesting. Is it available all over the UK? I looked up the company and they are just out of Preston, inland from Blackpool. We're disembarking from a cruise in Dover next year but will probably just stay in the south-east of England before flying home. Preston is a bit far to go just for some cheese.

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It certainly looks interesting. Is it available all over the UK? I looked up the company and they are just out of Preston, inland from Blackpool. We're disembarking from a cruise in Dover next year but will probably just stay in the south-east of England before flying home. Preston is a bit far to go just for some cheese.

Hi,yes,Asda,Morrisons and M and S all sell it,cheers,Brian.

Just askin', but has there been a thread deleted from the Australian/Kiwi cruiser forum today?

There was only one post on the thread, with a video attached to it, which was quite funny, when I read it earlier today. Now it seems to have disappeared.

Edited by Obilix

Possibly if that video had nothing to do with cruising. The mods are very tolerant of our meandering threads (thank you) but they probably have to draw the line somewhere.

11 hours ago, brian1 said:

Thanks, Brian.

13 hours ago, Obilix said:

Just askin', but has there been a thread deleted from the Australian/Kiwi cruiser forum today?

There was only one post on the thread, with a video attached to it, which was quite funny, when I read it earlier today. Now it seems to have disappeared.

That was Grey Kangaroo's video.  No further comment.😮

Edited by NSWP

15 hours ago, brian1 said:

Thanks Brian, got some nice colour in it.

If you want to keep on about the Fermented Curd i suggest you look up UTube and watch Monty Pythons Cheese Shop sketch. However getting this thread back to sanity or pies, I recently made a shocking discovery. The Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie in a tin one of the good things to come out of the UK has been sold to Campbells and is now made in NSW. Taste is now very ordinary like most of there products. 🤣