re meat pies

13 hours ago, beatleman said:

If you want to keep on about the Fermented Curd i suggest you look up UTube and watch Monty Pythons Cheese Shop sketch. However getting this thread back to sanity or pies, I recently made a shocking discovery. The Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie in a tin one of the good things to come out of the UK has been sold to Campbells and is now made in NSW. Taste is now very ordinary like most of there products. 🤣

Fray Bentos products like canned corned beef were also manufactured in Argentina.  Not sure if the tinned pies were.

On 8/14/2019 at 2:54 PM, NSWP said:

Cracker Barrel Special Reserve is great.  Aged 32 months.

CB.png

Bought some today Les, on special at our local Woolies. I look forward to trying it later today.

Leigh

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Fray Bentos products like canned corned beef were also manufactured in Argentina.  Not sure if the tinned pies were.

I thought that,but it was Uraguay.Big typhoid scandal in the 60s,I remember that.Now owned by Baxters.Famous names are just that,names.They are bought and sold by every Tom,Dick and Harry,lol.

On 8/16/2019 at 12:30 PM, possum52 said:

Bought some today Les, on special at our local Woolies. I look forward to trying it later today.

Leigh

I am sure you will enjoy it Leigh, with an appropriate adult beverage, drop of nice wine.  Yes it is on special at Woollies for $4.80, I purchased a couple of blocks last week.

Edited by NSWP

On 8/16/2019 at 3:38 PM, brian1 said:

I thought that,but it was Uraguay.Big typhoid scandal in the 60s,I remember that.Now owned by Baxters.Famous names are just that,names.They are bought and sold by every Tom,Dick and Harry,lol.

Baxters make some nice chutneys too.  Bought a jar of Baxters Tomato Chutney from Woolworths  the other day.  About $3.50.  Lubbly Jubbly.

bax.jpg

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

I am sure you will enjoy it Leigh, with an appropriate adult beverage, drop of nice wine.  Yes it is on special at Woollies for $4.80, I purchased a couple of blocks last week.

I did enjoy it, beautiful cheese Les and especially with a glass of sav blanc.

Leigh

Just a question about Harry's, we will be in Sydney next year and noticed there is a Harry's cafe in Woolloomooloo near where we are staying, any opinion? We just feel the need to try out a Sydney institution 😊.

We will go to Red Lantern our 2nd night before boarding the ship, another we have wanted to try for awhile.

Cheers, Julie

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Just a question about Harry's, we will be in Sydney next year and noticed there is a Harry's cafe in Woolloomooloo near where we are staying, any opinion? We just feel the need to try out a Sydney institution 😊.

We will go to Red Lantern our 2nd night before boarding the ship, another we have wanted to try for awhile.

Cheers, Julie

Being from Aus, you will already be familiar with a meat pie, so I wouldn’t have Harry’s as high on my list as if you were a foreigner. However I love their pies and as you are close by anyway, why not?

On 8/14/2019 at 2:54 PM, NSWP said:

Cracker Barrel Special Reserve is great.  Aged 32 months.

CB.png

Finally remembered to get some, and it was still on special at Woollies. The household cheese mouse (DH) approves! 😄

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Finally remembered to get some, and it was still on special at Woollies. The household cheese mouse (DH) approves! 😄

It is really good in a ham and cheese toasted sandwich. 😀

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Glad you enjoyed it.  Sure has some flavour with the 32 month maturing.

On 8/18/2019 at 5:06 PM, brian1 said:

I can't understand keeping a brand name that's only famous by being infamous for processing its products in river water full of poo.

Got me confused Brian, do they manufacture Baxters in the River Thames? 😮

On 8/14/2019 at 3:53 PM, NSWP said:

Quiet on here, Uncle Mic is away on Pacific Aria to PNG.   I hope he does not convert to Boganism.🤣

I am back now.

You have met me, haven't you?

You should no that the only culture I have is from yoghurt.

41 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am back now.

You have met me, haven't you?

You should no that the only culture I have is from yoghurt.

Welcome back, how was ye olde Pacific Aria.  No fear your Canberran culture is intact for life.

On 8/24/2019 at 4:36 PM, MicCanberra said:

The cruise was great, ship was good too, same size as the Maasdam and such from HAL, I really do like the layout for it.

Cheers Mic, good you enjoyed it.

So getting back on track at least, tried one of these for lunch today - Mrs Macs Gluten Free Beef Pie, meat is mince, enough gravy for me. Pastry acceptable for gf pastry, not too tough, I did not need a chain saw. My rating 7/10. Bit pricey @ $11 for 2.  But most gf food is pricey.

gf pie.jpg

Edited by NSWP

On 8/24/2019 at 10:38 AM, NSWP said:

Glad you enjoyed it Leigh, nice sharp taste.

We finished the Cracker Barrel Reserve yesterday. Son and granddaughter were visiting and we had the cheese out for lunch so six year old granddaughter tried it and loved it. When her father tried it, he had to have more and it was goodbye cheese! Will have to buy some more this week.

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

We finished the Cracker Barrel Reserve yesterday. Son and granddaughter were visiting and we had the cheese out for lunch so six year old granddaughter tried it and loved it. When her father tried it, he had to have more and it was goodbye cheese! Will have to buy some more this week.

Leigh

Good reason to get more.

On 8/26/2019 at 3:58 PM, possum52 said:

Leigh

Yes the Cracker barrel does not last long once the cheese monsters get it into it, plenty more at Woolworths !! Above all, enjoy !!

• Like 1

At 75yo I can still remember the original Sargents Pies, which IMHO were a great pie at the time, and far superior to the poor imitation that is sold under that name currently.

Now being one of the fortunate few who, at the time, had access to Darby's Pies in the Newcastle/Central Coast region I had found a suitable substitute. Very reasonably priced particularly if you took advantage of the 5 for $10.00 deal which we usually doubled up on, buying unheated pies for freezing.

Disaster struck some relatively short time back and unfortunately Darby's went belly up after many years as a local legend. Since then we have tried various frozen and fresh offerings, including the $4.50 disaster offered by the local replacement for the Darby's shop, without suitable results. However, in a last ditch effort to satisfy the lifelong cravings for a decent meat pie, we in sheer desperation last night tried Scotts frozen pies.

Haleluya! Haleluya! Finally a pastry that resembled, in taste and texture, the original Sargents, and filled with edible tasty meat that was firm enough to stay in the pie when bitten into without running down your shirt. The filling was not ruined like many others by the addition of an overdose of caramel, and it carried the slight but noticeable hints of pepper common to both Darbys and the original Sargents.

In truth there is a Dog.

Edited by Russell21