re meat pies

33 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

At 75yo I can still remember the original Sargents Pies, which IMHO were a great pie at the time, and far superior to the poor imitation that is sold under that name currently.

Now being one of the fortunate few who, at the time, had access to Darby's Pies in the Newcastle/Central Coast region I had found a suitable substitute. Very reasonably priced particularly if you took advantage of the 5 for $10.00 deal which we usually doubled up on, buying unheated pies for freezing.

Disaster struck some relatively short time back and unfortunately Darby's went belly up after many years as a local legend. Since then we have tried various frozen and fresh offerings, including the $4.50 disaster offered by the local replacement for the Darby's shop, without suitable results. However, in a last ditch effort to satisfy the lifelong cravings for a decent meat pie, we in sheer desperation last night tried Scotts frozen pies.

Haleluya! Haleluya! Finally a pastry that resembled, in taste and texture, the original Sargents, and filled with edible tasty meat that was firm enough to stay in the pie when bitten into without running down your shirt. The filling was not ruined like many others by the addition of an overdose of caramel, and it carried the slight but noticeable hints of pepper common to both Darbys and the original Sargents.

In truth there is a Dog.

I was eating Darby’s before they were called Darby’s???

In the very early 60s my dad worked for Southwards Cash Orders in King St (in the old YMCA building). We lived at Warner's Bay (considered to be "out in the sticks" in those days) and on payday Fridays dad would drop in to Darby's in Darby street on the way home and it was many a time we had Darby's pies for tea on Fridays as a treat. We couldn't freeze them for later as fridge freezers in those days were barely big enough for a block of ice cream or a try of ice cubes.

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

In the very early 60s my dad worked for Southwards Cash Orders in King St (in the old YMCA building). We lived at Warner's Bay (considered to be "out in the sticks" in those days) and on payday Fridays dad would drop in to Darby's in Darby street on the way home and it was many a time we had Darby's pies for tea on Fridays as a treat. We couldn't freeze them for later as fridge freezers in those days were barely big enough for a block of ice cream or a try of ice cubes.

You think Warner’s Bay was the sticks, try Wangi. Darby’s only became Darby’s in the late 60s, when Mr Stone bought Dansfields (might be an r in there) who had been in Hannell St, almost opposite the Yacht Club, where the take away or newsagent is now, moved it to Darby Street (hence the name) nearer to his other businesses.

1 minute ago, GUT2407 said:

You think Warner’s Bay was the sticks, try Wangi. Darby’s only became Darby’s in the late 60s, when Mr Stone bought Dansfields (might be an r in there) who had been in Hannell St, almost opposite the Yacht Club, where the take away or newsagent is now, moved it to Darby Street (hence the name) nearer to his other businesses.

Yep, it is or was, Dransfields. On Friday nights people were queued out the door and down Darby street waiting to get their pies.

On 9/2/2019 at 10:26 AM, lyndarra said:

Yep, it is or was, Dransfields. On Friday nights people were queued out the door and down Darby street waiting to get their pies.

How could Darbys go bust then, with all the blue collar pie eating workers up there?.😮  Like what do the tradies have for luncheon lunch now, a Sumo Salad perhaps, accompanied by a Latte with skim milk. ?Gimme a Darbys dogs eye and coke, real food.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

How could Darbys go bust then, with all the blue collar pie eating workers up there.😮

Didn’t pay their tax.

they went bust once before when they abolished their $1 Pie, new people bought them reintroduced their $1 pie and cakes, after a while b7mped the prices again, but hadn’t covered their tax bill.

so many companies go into liquidation because of tax obligations, if cash flow is down it is all too easy to use the tax money to stay trading and then get caught short.

Just now, GUT2407 said:

I hope to try one tomorrow I will be interested to see if it is on top of the real pie o was just for advertising,

Enjoy, but if you don't report back mate, we will assume you got food poisoning from the blue thing.🤣

On 8/18/2019 at 10:52 PM, frantic36 said:

Just a question about Harry's, we will be in Sydney next year and noticed there is a Harry's cafe in Woolloomooloo near where we are staying, any opinion? We just feel the need to try out a Sydney institution 😊.

We will go to Red Lantern our 2nd night before boarding the ship, another we have wanted to try for awhile.

Cheers, Julie

If you like Chinese as I do, try 'China Doll' on Woolloomooloo Finger Wharf in Sydney, superb, but take your money with you !!  Real oriental tucker but no chicken chow mein or short soup.

Edited by NSWP

8 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

No 'twas I that made mention of this succulent morsel. 

I am so sorry, my demented mind got confused again, so you are the Scotts devotee?  Mr Gut would surely devour one though, being the pie monster he is.😮