Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

This policy is now officially on the P&O website. No top ups at any port - 1 litre per person on embarkation.

All luggage to be scanned and checked as happens on other cruise lines with a come on down to reception.

No exceptions even on World Cruises and no sale of alcohol for on board consumption.

This was a big benefit that made up for poor quality in their offer of other services.

Time to walk away!!

Sorry but in cabin sales will continue P&O have already said so

I think they are still selling alcohol for on board consumption! Not much point having bars if you can't drink on board.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Would be nice if PO UK maintains, for WC and sectors of pax, the vouchers to buy one bottle per person duty free every 20 days or so...... :halo:

Have the booking conditions for your cruise, when you sign into the personaliser, changed to reflect their new conditions...

Would be nice if PO UK maintains, for WC and sectors of pax, the vouchers to buy one bottle per person duty free every 20 days or so...... :halo:

Have the booking conditions for your cruise, when you sign into the personaliser, changed to reflect their new conditions...

Why are we making a huge fuss about a few pounds? So much miss information all over the internet. On our last Cruise the DF Gin was £15. The same bottle on the room service menu was £19.

Where is the problem??

c8b100b29c4e36a678506e1b5e0361da.jpg

BTW the room service Gin is Ltr bottles and is export strength not the 37% you get in the U.K.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2 points

1. On a Celebrity cruise who also have powerful restrictions we bought some spirit on a shore excursion, expecting it to be taken, and they just ignored it when we boarded.

2. As someone said on the Celebrity website, it will be difficult to match up what people have in carry on luggage and what they have in suitcases.

Where is the problem??

Who's making the fuss !!!! ..... not me it was my very FIRST post however watch out any after may create one ..... thanks for the warm welcome to CC !!!!!!!!

When one is on a very very very long cruise every little bit of discount you can get counts, we aren't all filthy rich, be it loyalty % or just getting 3 or 4 pounds off a bottle of spirits to drink in our cabin....for us that saving gets spent elsewhere onboard.... i call that "SMARTS" ....I don't have a problem with only being able to bring a token amount onboard, especially spirits no other line i can think of allows this....Unfortunately POUK's liberal carry on policy of the past has made a lot of people loyal to just them.....it's no wonder when they make quite a large change that folks feel hard done by........In that case I say walk away there are many great brands out there to choose from.... have never been loyal to just one brand we have top tier loyalty with 2 other major players don't get to bring alcohol on with either however we do get fantastic loyalty perks...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Of course they will continue, but have they confirmed the price will not change.

If the aim is to increase profits by prohibiting alcohol being brought on so forcing people to buy onboard, why would you sell bottles at supermarket prices?

Room service bottle prices are currently priced to compete with bring on board prices (as many on here have commented it is not worth the hassle of carrying a bottle on).

Remove that competition and your only competition is the bar price (and their bar price was held back to a lesser extent by the competition from the bring on board bottles).

So going forward to sell room service bottles all they will need to do is price them attractively in relation to bar prices, and that will be more than now.

Who's making the fuss !!!! ..... not me it was my very FIRST post however watch out any after may create one ..... thanks for the warm welcome to CC !!!!!!!!

When one is on a very very very long cruise every little bit of discount you can get counts, we aren't all filthy rich, be it loyalty % or just getting 3 or 4 pounds off a bottle of spirits to drink in our cabin....for us that saving gets spent elsewhere onboard.... i call that "SMARTS" ....I don't have a problem with only being able to bring a token amount onboard, especially spirits no other line i can think of allows this....Unfortunately POUK's liberal carry on policy of the past has made a lot of people loyal to just them.....it's no wonder when they make quite a large change that folks feel hard done by........In that case I say walk away there are many great brands out there to choose from.... have never been loyal to just one brand we have top tier loyalty with 2 other major players don't get to bring alcohol on with either however we do get fantastic loyalty perks...

I do agree that he new system is a bit unfair to longer cruises and world cruises, but also think that is why it is not being implemented until February 2018, when the longer cruises have departed. I know they scan cases but do wonder if say you have quite a few cases and 1 bottle in each, whether they are going to check who the cases belong to and how many each person has bought onboard.

First I did not know it was your first post as I use an IPad app which does not show how many posts people make.

Second I was not actually referring to you specifically as I started the post, We.

Thirdly I was giving you information which may have been useful to you in that the in cabin purchases are not that much more than the duty free prices. But you clearly were not interested in that and only wanted to have a moan.

I know they scan cases but do wonder if say you have quite a few cases and 1 bottle in each, whether they are going to check who the cases belong to and how many each person has bought onboard.

I think you will have to have your 1ltr in your hand luggage to be checked on boarding.

Even on a fly cruise they say you should have it in your hand luggage once you go to board the ship.

" Fly Cruise..

If you are taking a flight prior to your cruise, the one limit bottle applies. We would recommend that liquids are packed in your hold luggage to comply with airport and airline restrictions however must be transferred to your hand luggage before boarding."

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/alcohol

So I don't think someone turning up with load's of luggage will deter them, if the scanners spot

a case that does not comply, it will be put to one side with all the others that fail.

No difference to how any other cruise company implement their security scans.

This policy is now officially on the P&O website. No top ups at any port - 1 litre per person on embarkation.

All luggage to be scanned and checked as happens on other cruise lines with a come on down to reception.

No exceptions even on World Cruises and no sale of alcohol for on board consumption.

This was a big benefit that made up for poor quality in their offer of other services.

Time to walk away!!

Interesting that its taken you 4 years to make a post. Obviously not happy that P&O intend to bring themselves more in line with other cruise lines.

P&O have made no mention as to where to pack your 1 litre, certainly when embarking in Southampton. I assume anyone packing drink in their main suitcase will have to go to the 'naughty room' to identify it.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

True and that's why I said "I think" but went on to say it's a requirement on a fly cruise.

Seems a bit silly on P&O's part if they are saying "Right anyone with a case Direct from plane to ship(which has been security checked) must unpack your booze ,put it in your hand luggage so we can see it.

But however if your boarding at Southampton, not a problem."

As you say Wowzz , they need to inform us all better or get a very big Naughty room .;)

Update >>> Just got off the phone to P&O and the Lady (Victoria) say's ...

"You can take it in your suitcase or hand luggage from Southampton as they have

a security system in place that allows for this but recommends that it is in hand luggage to help avoid baggage

delays to your cabin. "

Edited by kalos

Interesting that its taken you 4 years to make a post. Obviously not happy that P&O intend to bring themselves more in line with other cruise lines.

Not all cruise lines have the same policy taking drinks on board. The following are still relatively relaxed about passengers taking alcohol on board* ( most information from from https://www.cruise118.com/advice/bringing-your-own-alcohol-on-a-cruise/ , https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/articles.cfm?ID=2076 , AND https://www.icruise.com/blog/can-i-bring-alcohol-onboard-my-cruise-alcohol-policies-by-cruise-line.html )

OCEANIA CRUISES:No beer or liquor may be taken onboard for consumption. Passengers may bring a maximum of three bottles (750ml) of wine or champagne, per cabin, only in their carry-on luggage at embarkation. A $25 corkage fee will be charged if wine or champagne is consumed in a public space or dining room. Alcohol purchased in port or the ship’s duty-free shop will be retained until the last night of the cruise.

AZAMARA CLUB CRUISES:Passengers are allowed to bring liquor, beer or wine for private consumption in the stateroom upon embarkation day and when purchased in a port of call. For the consumption of outside liquor, beer or wine in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, a corkage fee of $10 will be charged. Ship bars and dining rooms (when open) offer a limited number of complimentary standard spirits, international beers and a changing daily selection of red and white wines by the glass. Premium wine, beer and liquor packages are available for purchase.

DISNEY CRUISE LINES: Passengers are allowed to bring liquor, beer or wine onboard upon embarkation day and when purchased in a port of call. Beverages must be packed in a carry-on bag - which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension. Outside alcohol cannot be consumed in any lounge or public area At Palo and Remy, a $20 corkage fee will be charged for outside wine and champagne.

SEABOURN: Spirits, wines and Champagne may be brought aboard

REGENT SEVEN SEAS: Spirits, wines and Champagne may be brought aboard

SILVER SEA CRUISES:Spirits, wines and Champagne may be brought aboard

VIKING OCEAN CRUISES: Passengers can bring beer, wine, champagne or liquor onboard at embarkation "within reason." Viking Ocean does not charge a corkage fee.

(....So, if you expect to be taken to the "Naughty Room", on board ships with these cruise lines, you could be disappointed because the don't do that !!!)

*Please confirm with the respective cruise lines before you cruise to make sure that their policy still holds.

True and that's why I said "I think" but went on to say it's a requirement on a fly cruise.

Seems a bit silly on P&O's part if they are saying "Right anyone with a case Direct from plane to ship(which has been security checked) must unpack your booze ,put it in your hand luggage so we can see it.

As you say Wowzz , they need to inform us all better or get a very big Naughty room .;)

a security system in place that allows for this but recommends that it is in hand luggage to help avoid baggage

delays to your cabin. "

Fortunately we are sailing from Southampton next week, so can avoid the Naughty Room as the new policy will not be in force!

First I did not know it was your first post as I use an IPad app which does not show how many posts people make.

Second I was not actually referring to you specifically as I started the post, We.

Thirdly I was giving you information which may have been useful to you in that the in cabin purchases are not that much more than the duty free prices. But you clearly were not interested in that and only wanted to have a moan.

Pando bar prices are ridiculously expensive almost £5 for a pint of beer. Now that doesn't stop me buying, but to say there is not that much more difference in duty free is a little bit of an exaggeration.

delays to your cabin. "

At Southampton could you double up with both hand luggage and suitcases? Surely they are not going to cross check both checks.

Funnily I never checked the rules before my P&O cruise last year. I just assumed it was one bottle each so that is what I took. Two bottles of wine. I would have taken another bottle had I thought.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Pando bar prices are ridiculously expensive almost £5 for a pint of beer. Now that doesn't stop me buying, but to say there is not that much more difference in duty free is a little bit of an exaggeration.

P&O bar prices are far from ridiculously expensive as we paid last week on Cunard $6-25 +15% which is approx £6 for a pint of Marstons Pedigree making P&O reasonably good value in comparison.

P&O bar prices are far from ridiculously expensive as we paid last week on Cunard $6-25 +15% which is approx £6 for a pint of Marstons Pedigree making P&O reasonably good value in comparison.

But this is a Pandora thread, not cunard

Also, I think you need to check your exchange rate. By my calculation it's about 5.20

As you can probably tell I am new to Cruisecritic but find it rather sad that this thread has got rather personal.

I am disappointed that P&O have decided to change their drinks policy, it was a good way to differentiate themselves from most other cruise lines but, compared to RCI ( which is the only other line we have sailed with) , P&O bar prices seem very reasonable.

If we ever sail with RCI again it will have to have the deluxe drinks package thrown in as we do like a drink or two or ...!

As you can probably tell I am new to Cruisecritic but find it rather sad that this thread has got rather personal.

I am disappointed that P&O have decided to change their drinks policy, it was a good way to differentiate themselves from most other cruise lines but, compared to RCI ( which is the only other line we have sailed with) , P&O bar prices seem very reasonable.

If we ever sail with RCI again it will have to have the deluxe drinks package thrown in as we do like a drink or two or ...!

Some people on here have a long history of making it personal and stirring things.

But this is a Pandora thread, not cunard

Also, I think you need to check your exchange rate. By my calculation it's about 5.20

I am well aware but your comment that P&O is ridiculously expensive is not correct if comparing to other cruise lines.

My approximation was of a price inclusive of tax of 15% equaling $7-20 and a currency exchange rate at the time of $1-26 which it was at the time which comes to just over £5-70. Which is considerably higher than what you pay on P&O which was my point.

This rumours seems to crop up every 6 months or so. To enforce a limit of say one bottle of wine per person would, I think be counter productive. Many cruisers prefer P&O because of their drink policy, and if this policy was to change, many would vote with their feet and switch to Princess, RCL etc.

The drink that passengers take on board to drink in their own cabins is in addition to the drink that will be purchased on board, not in place of on board purchases. I will drink a glass or two of my own wine when getting ready for dinner -if I no longer can take my own wine I will not be buying wine on board for my pre-dinner tipple.

Princess DO NOT allow any alcohol to be taken on board at the start of your cruise or when coming back on board at each stop.