Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

I have no particular opinion on this subject either way, but I can't help thinking that you cannot turn up to a Hotel and say "It's okay, I've bought my own wine/spirit so I don't need yours." Not sure this would go down too well..... 😕

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

I have to admit when we are going on short breaks in uk, we always pack a bottle of fizz to drink in the room to kick the break off (providing there's a fridge in the room) and I know quite a few people who also do this.

Have just got home and we are stunned by this news. P&O must be mad as it is one of the things that keeps people returning to them! We took drinks on board but spent a fortune on their own drinks too and am sure lots of people do. Ok some may misuse it but why not clamp down rather than punish all of us?

If they introduce this idea then they have to introduce an AI drinks package or they will have cruisers leaving them for other lines such as Celebrity or Thomson who now have those better ships with included tips and balcony cabins .... and more fly med cruises.

A bad move by the 'powers that be' if you ask me.

Not everyone would agree I'm afraid.

We never take drink on board ; we never have drinks packages (and never will) we will never go on Thomson (and possibly not Celebrity as they have a service charge on drinks prices) and we don't want more fly-cruises - but we may, of course, be in the minority......

Not everyone would agree I'm afraid.

We never take drink on board ; we never have drinks packages (and never will) we will never go on Thomson (and possibly not Celebrity as they have a service charge on drinks prices) and we don't want more fly-cruises - but we may, of course, be in the minority......

I have to say that, in today's market, you may well be in the minority --- and P&O can't survive against the other big players by missing out on one of its selling points...

The next thing you know they will go in line with the others and have no kettles, drinks and biscuits in the cabin twice a day ........... imagine the fall out then!!! To those of us who drink this is a similar situation.

Just our opinion and we may be totally wrong --- we are loyal P&O cruisers so hope that they know what they are doing ...... well, that Carnival does. Thinking about it I bet that they are reducing their alcohol limit for a while and then they will introduce an AI package and everyone will then buy it and be happy .................... am not cynical really!!!

I have to say that, in today's market, you may well be in the minority --- and P&O can't survive against the other big players by missing out on one of its selling points...

The next thing you know they will go in line with the others and have no kettles, drinks and biscuits in the cabin twice a day ........... imagine the fall out then!!! To those of us who drink this is a similar situation.

Just our opinion and we may be totally wrong --- we are loyal P&O cruisers so hope that they know what they are doing ...... well, that Carnival does. Thinking about it I bet that they are reducing their alcohol limit for a while and then they will introduce an AI package and everyone will then buy it and be happy .................... am not cynical really!!!

We're also loyal P&O customers, have been travelling with them for 16 years, and if they ever add a service charge onto drinks, or get rid of formal nights, we won't be so loyal I'm afraid.

We would have to look at Seabourn (having travelled with them before) or similar.

P&O need to think carefully about this. People are strange. There are kettles in rooms (which is a USP) and free hot drinks in the buffet but Costa still does a roaring trade. It's not just about the cost of things but what you perceive as adding value to your holiday.

I brought wine onboard as I knew I would have to spend time in the cabin of an evening (looking after my son). However I happily paid for a pint of freshly poured draught beer to enjoy in the sunshine and a glass of wine that matched what I was eating. I wouldn't buy too much more as I feel it a waste of money but I wouldn't have enjoyed the cruise so much without a drink on the balcony.

Tea tray and kettle in the cabin isn't a USP. Celebrity now provide one on UK departures.

If you look at P&O, RCI, Celebrity, Cunard and Princess UK departures ex Southampton there is a fag paper between the prices.

However P&O need to remain competitive, they can't do it by simply hiking base prices as on comparison they then look expensive.

In order to make up lost revenue they have to get the bookings, then earn revenue from those who have booked. As the other lines show the way of doing this is from on board drinks.

Celebrity $65 premium drinks package is extortionate, however when compared to drinks prices it looks good value, 4 max priced ($15.50) drinks will cover your money.

However it also adds another string to the offer to secure bookings, 'free' basic drinks packages.

Which looks better 7 nights P&O for £800 or 7 nights Celebrity for £800 with free basic drinks package costing about £250? Cost to Celebrity is a fraction of £250 (bottle of Stella will cost them about 50p, on board price about £9), but it looks like a good deal when advertised.

The basic package has a lower max drink price and limited choices, anything extra has to be paid for, so more revenue. If you want Bombay Sapphire and not bartenders gin you pay about £3 extra. Of course for £7 a day you can buy a drinks upgrade which then gets you Bombay Sapphire!

Its called marketing psychology and cruise companies are good at it!

We were given a free classic package on Celebrity but due to a problem with the cruise they gave us another 200 dollars OBC. This will enable us to move to a premium AI package so everything is included. Have to say that in the past we have never purchased a Celebrity package as we never had enough drinks to make it worth while. As a perk it's a good deal this time.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Have just got home and we are stunned by this news. P&O must be mad as it is one of the things that keeps people returning to them! We took drinks on board but spent a fortune on their own drinks too and am sure lots of people do. Ok some may misuse it but why not clamp down rather than punish all of us?

If they introduce this idea then they have to introduce an AI drinks package or they will have cruisers leaving them for other lines such as Celebrity or Thomson who now have those better ships with included tips and balcony cabins .... and more fly med cruises.

A bad move by the 'powers that be' if you ask me.

Can we all remind ourselves that this has not happened it is a rumour.

As ever a lot of people go overboard in condemnation when there is a good chance it will not happen.

This is the third or fourth rumour which has elicited a "Wo, is me I will never cruise with them again attitude.

It's a rumour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As ever a lot of people go overboard in condemnation when there is a good chance it will not happen.

This is the third or fourth rumour which has elicited a "Wo, is me I will never cruise with them again attitude.

It's a rumour.

Thanks for posting, hopefully it is only a rumour.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Tea tray and kettle in the cabin isn't a USP. Celebrity now provide one on UK departures.

Celebrity $65 premium drinks package is extortionate, however when compared to drinks prices it looks good value, 4 max priced ($15.50) drinks will cover your money.

Worth noting that Celebrity often have sales on drinks packages. For our upcoming 15 night TA the premium drinks package has been on sale at a 50% discount for weeks.

So for £29 per day (including gratuity) all top shelf drinks are covered, plus premium water, specialty coffees, freshly squeezed juices (you don't have to drink alcohol all day to get value from these packages) and wines.

No brainier for us to spend £880 for the 2 of us for a 15 night sailing as opposed to that amount for a 7 night sailing which has been the case before.

Everyone of our other Celebrity sailings have included the 'classic' package in the fare which, for the cost of less than 1 Martini per day we have upgraded to take advantage of the better selection.

£29 a day is a great deal in my opinion. I agree full price isn't, but you rarely have to pay that.

Spending on 4 coffees, 4 glasses of wine, 4 mixed drinks (double measures to match what Celebrity serve) amounts to around £62 here in Manchester, so that's more than the £58 for 2 premium packages and I haven't touched the bottles of water or soft drinks that are available in that price too.

IMHO break it down and these packages disliked by many can be very cost effective.

Worth noting that Celebrity often have sales on drinks packages. For our upcoming 15 night TA the premium drinks package has been on sale at a 50% discount for weeks.

So for £29 per day (including gratuity) all top shelf drinks are covered, plus premium water, specialty coffees, freshly squeezed juices (you don't have to drink alcohol all day to get value from these packages) and wines.

No brainier for us to spend £880 for the 2 of us for a 15 night sailing as opposed to that amount for a 7 night sailing which has been the case before.

Everyone of our other Celebrity sailings have included the 'classic' package in the fare which, for the cost of less than 1 Martini per day we have upgraded to take advantage of the better selection.

£29 a day is a great deal in my opinion. I agree full price isn't, but you rarely have to pay that.

Spending on 4 coffees, 4 glasses of wine, 4 mixed drinks (double measures to match what Celebrity serve) amounts to around £62 here in Manchester, so that's more than the £58 for 2 premium packages and I haven't touched the bottles of water or soft drinks that are available in that price too.

IMHO break it down and these packages disliked by many can be very cost effective.

This post and the one by Presto2 proves exactly what I posted.

A drinks package adds another level of 'offer' to entice bookings.

presto2 was given it free and OBC to upgrade, this poster was offered a half price package which they see as good value.

In a similar vein we also had the same offer as Presto2 on a recent Celebrity trip and it wasn't covered by a cabin price far in excess of what would be charged by P&O, Princess etc.

This post and the one by Presto2 proves exactly what I posted.

A drinks package adds another level of 'offer' to entice bookings.

presto2 was given it free and OBC to upgrade, this poster was offered a half price package which they see as good value.

In a similar vein we also had the same offer as Presto2 on a recent Celebrity trip and it wasn't covered by a cabin price far in excess of what would be charged by P&O, Princess etc.

They might be cost effective but a lot of days you might be off the ship or some days you might feel unwell and not fancy drinking and to pay a sum upfront to cover the full cruise is not always practical.

P&O bar prices are reasonable and you can just drink what and when you like without committing to a week or twos fixed drinks package price.

There is no change in the new brochure for 2019 cruises. The information on the Alcohol Policy has however been expanded to say that inebriated passengers will not be served and poor behaviour will result in people being asked to leave the bar. It also says anyone displaying violent behaviour may be offloaded. This is on page 148. It seems that there must have been sufficient incidents on board for P&O to be specific about this in the brochure.

There is no change in the new brochure for 2019 cruises. The information on the Alcohol Policy has however been expanded to say that inebriated passengers will not be served and poor behaviour will result in people being asked to leave the bar. It also says anyone displaying violent behaviour may be offloaded. This is on page 148. It seems that there must have been sufficient incidents on board for P&O to be specific about this in the brochure.

Now that is unfair using facts to prove an argument.

Good spot though.

Let's hope that they do refuse to serve inebriated passengers and remove those making life difficult by their behaviour. This would be the correct way to go rather than stopping those better behaved passengers taking the odd bottle of their favourite drink on board.

It's a rumour.

When it comes from the Host on CC I take it more seriously.

Just think it would be a mistake

They might be cost effective but a lot of days you might be off the ship or some days you might feel unwell and not fancy drinking and to pay a sum upfront to cover the full cruise is not always practical.

P&O bar prices are reasonable and you can just drink what and when you like without committing to a week or twos fixed drinks package price.

Hubby always keeps all bills from our cruises. That is why we didn't go for the drinks package on Celebrity for 3 years when it was not free. We just did not drink enough.

Now, as it is free (and we have enough OBC to upgrade to a complete AI, on a ship where drinks are very expensive otherwise) it is a no brainer - particularly as the overall cost of the cruise is not 'silly money'.

Good move P&O. Have to say, we have never seen anyone like this on any cruise, but we are not naïve enough to think it doesn't happen. Not sure what the weekend 'Booze Cruises' are like ...

I think you are trying very hard to justify a rip off package.

£58 a day is an obscene amount to pay (and I like a drink) but I can see the link between you drinking in Manchesters most expensive bars and a cruise ship with a captive audience that won't allow alcohol on board bar the 2 bottles of vino.

However lets get real, you wouldn't actually spend that in Manchester, there are cheaper places to drink and you'd buy your own alcohol and drink it in your room / balcony. I really don't get this comparison between 4 star hotels / South east prices etc - normal people on shore just dont stick to a hotel bar day in / out and yet people constantly quote it as some kind of justification.

P&O have things just about right as it is and is the reason we won't be sailing on Celebrity again any time soon.

However its all a matter of choice and I respect that, if you're happy to pay it etc..

I'm still waiting for the op to come back and confirm his 'good authority' posting, when nothing has changed.

The OP is a her, and she did clarify earlier in the thread where she had obtained the information.