Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

I guess apparently we are in the minority then in wanting to maximise and enjoy our time ashore. As said before the package would be poor value for us.

Likewise - and whilst I wouldn't argue with the picture painted by FangedRose about passenger behaviours in port I must say I was really surprised by that summary.

Apparently we too must be very much in the minority in wanting to explore and make the most of our time in port. I certainly wouldn't be rushing back to the ship from a Caribbean beach or the likes of N.Y.

It will be when the bar prices rise to the same as other Carnival brands that offer AI.

Remember it's only being trialled at the moment and depending on the take up it may not happen anyway.;)

Likewise - and whilst I wouldn't argue with the picture painted by FangedRose about passenger behaviours in port I must say I was really surprised by that summary.

Apparently we too must be very much in the minority in wanting to explore and make the most of our time in port. I certainly wouldn't be rushing back to the ship from a Caribbean beach or the likes of N.Y.

I suppose it depends if it's somewhere you've been before. Often the case if people have done a lot of cruises. There are a few ports we've been to more than once even though we haven't been cruising as long as some people here. We stay onboard in Rome and Lisbon for example, as we've been to both several times on fly-in visits. Sometimes it's nice to enjoy the ship when it's quiet.

Same here :cool:

Must admit our experience on the odd occasions that we have briefly returned to the ship has been to find it like the Mary Celeste. (Ok, they may be slight exaggeration there.):D

I suppose it depends if it's somewhere you've been before. Often the case if people have done a lot of cruises. There are a few ports we've been to more than once even though we haven't been cruising as long as some people here. We stay onboard in Rome and Lisbon for example, as we've been to both several times on fly-in visits. Sometimes it's nice to enjoy the ship when it's quiet.

I suppose that's true for some whose holiday is predominantly the cruise or perhaps just want the R&R. And of course it's horses for courses - we all have our different preferences.

We've done quite a lot of cruises and been to some ports multiple times but still love to revisit favourite haunts or find somewhere new to see. We spent a week in Venice in May but still spent about 7 hours on shore during our cruise last month and found new things to do in addition to the ice cream from Nico - a must do on every visit! 😉 Each to their own. I was just surprised to learn that the majority spend relatively little time ashore. Of course being on shore for most of a port day, I wouldn't have any idea of the numbers on board. 😁

I am surprised that no one else has pointed out that most people would be hard pressed to get through £80.00 per couple on port days.

Although, no doubt some would treat it as a challenge.

At approx:

£6 for a cocktail

£7 for a glass of wine

£4.50 a beer

£5.50 spirit and mixer

£2 bottle of water

? Costa coffee

I dont think it’s ridiculous to think that you can drink £40 over a day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At approx:

£6 for a cocktail

£7 for a glass of wine

£4.50 a beer

£5.50 spirit and mixer

£2 bottle of water

? Costa coffee

Costa Coffee is £3 - £4, depending on type Eg Americano, latte etc. for the primo (smallest) which is the one included in package, so I would probably have 2.

At dinner I would go through a bottle in 2 or 3 nights, so that would be 2 or 3 glasses. My favourite is a lot less than £7 per glass. (I'm assuming your rounding up cos £7 is above the limit).

Plus pre dinner glass of wine, g & t, soft drinks during day, bottled water for on shore etc. Hmmm. Convenience might be influencing factor here.

Took celebrity package on shortly after it was introduced. Constantly had to point out sticker on card to staff who produced slip to sign. Even then I had to pay a visit to reception to get charges removed despite not having signed a slip.

At approx:

£6 for a cocktail

£7 for a glass of wine

£4.50 a beer

£5.50 spirit and mixer

£2 bottle of water

? Costa coffee

You seem to have inflated all the prices. Good ploy to prove a point.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only price that made me look twice was the glass wine. As I said above my favourite wine is less than £7 per glass, but I'm not a wine buff and could see some wines costing that.

The other prices do not seem unreasonable to me.

9e0c6fa0d1f87e012c21d63983e12e52.jpgIMG_8685.thumb.JPG.f4489c1944e79bc8e13e274cbf7569e7.JPG

Just justifying the cost to myself! [emoji23]Bought back bar menus from Oceana in June and they’re about right cost wise

IMG_8682.thumb.JPG.50870920632518e25c49056463091492.JPG

IMG_8681.thumb.JPG.a5c82b929ec3ab21752a606f4ebb1ed6.JPG

IMG_8684.thumb.JPG.82602285b01db22ce53788be31ab60c3.JPG

9e0c6fa0d1f87e012c21d63983e12e52.jpg[ATTACH]424979[/ATTACH][ATTACH]424980[/ATTACH]

Just justifying the cost to myself! [emoji23]Bought back bar menus from Oceana in June and they’re about right cost wise

[ATTACH]424977[/ATTACH][ATTACH]424978[/ATTACH]

Thanks for posting the price lists it is very helpful.

This from the latest Q&A advice centre. The wine prices are per small glass, large glass prices are about 20 -25% higher, and I am sure some of the cocktails will exceed the £6.95 price limit.

I could never drink enough to make the package attractive to me, I would certainly need to be drinking all day and would be too intoxicated to be safe in charge of pushing my wife's wheelchair around.

As a guide please see below example prices, these are subject to change and will be confirmed once on board.

From PriceRegular Pepsi£1.95Pint of Peroni £4.75Pint of John Smith £4.10Sauvignon Blanc£4.75 a glassMerlot£4.50 a glassProsecco£4.95 a glassProsecco£20.50 a bottleTattinger Champagne £7.85 a glassTattinger Champagne£39.95 a bottleMojito £6.15Single measure of spirit plus mixer £4.55A spirit on it's own£3.25G&T£4.60

Done! And not inflated - I’m not trying to prove any points!

Your photos prove your point,prices have gone up since our last cruise on P&O 18 months ago but we are on Ventura next month and Oceana in December so know what drinks are available and their prices.

Thanks Graham.

Costa Coffee is £3 - £4, depending on type Eg Americano, latte etc. for the primo (smallest) which is the one included in package, so I would probably have 2.

At dinner I would go through a bottle in 2 or 3 nights, so that would be 2 or 3 glasses. My favourite is a lot less than £7 per glass. (I'm assuming your rounding up cos £7 is above the limit).

Plus pre dinner glass of wine, g & t, soft drinks during day, bottled water for on shore etc. Hmmm. Convenience might be influencing factor here.

Took celebrity package on shortly after it was introduced. Constantly had to point out sticker on card to staff who produced slip to sign. Even then I had to pay a visit to reception to get charges removed despite not having signed a slip.

Costa coffee is around £2.50, not £3-£4. The package will be attractive to some and not to many others including me. But if P&O think there is a demand and a market for it, the experiment makes sense. At least it provides choice which is a good thing and the restrictions of 15 drinks max per day and 15 minutes min between orders shows some evidence of responsibility, especially if the 15 drinks are spread out over the whole of a sea day.

Your photos prove your point,prices have gone up since our last cruise on P&O 18 months ago but we are on Ventura next month and Oceana in December so know what drinks are available and their prices.

Thanks Graham.

Let’s see if they’re higher still on Azura now once the package is rolled out - time will tell 🤦🏻*♀️

What I have not seen anywhere is whether the Peninsular club discount applies to these packages. However, as presumably the cost is deducted at purchase and not daily, those with obc to cover this cost will not benefit from loyalty discount because as I remember, it only kicks in once obc has been spent.

9e0c6fa0d1f87e012c21d63983e12e52.jpg[ATTACH]424979[/ATTACH][ATTACH]424980[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]424977[/ATTACH][ATTACH]424978[/ATTACH]

Only if you take the very highest. A G&T is only £4.60 not £5.50. You have picked the most expensive wine and looked at a 250m glass. So you have gone high to prove your point.

Still no good to me as I drink perfect serves and they are more than £6.95 but even if they were on I would struggle to spend £40 a day. And certainly if it were every day. My wife would be no were near that amount even on one day.

Thanks for that Caravan, would you happen to have the other pages to that menu you could post ?

Thinking about the link I posted which when it comes to Spirit's double measures are not part of the AI that P&O have put together.

Would this not go for the wines as well ? At a guess I would say the 175ml glass (£5 average) would be the one served on AI rather than the 250ml glass ( as you rightly state around the £7 mark)

As the AI trial gets underway we should all get a clearer picture of how P&O run this AI trial .

Only if you take the very highest. A G&T is only £4.60 not £5.50. You have picked the most expensive wine and looked at a 250m glass. So you have gone high to prove your point.

Still no good to me as I drink perfect serves and they are more than £6.95 but even if they were on I would struggle to spend £40 a day. And certainly if it were every day. My wife would be no were near that amount even on one day.

I’ve no point to make - I don’t care who buys the package. Im just demonstrating that for me and my drinks preferences it seems to be good value.

I posted the prices for the drinks we would buy usually - pint of Peroni and large wine at the higher price - I didn’t say there weren’t cheaper drinks to buy.

If you wouldn’t get your monies worth you won’t buy it but this is a forum for discussion on such topics so that’s what I’m doing - giving my opinion.

Thanks for that Caravan, would you happen to have the other pages to that menu you could post ?

Thinking about the link I posted which when it comes to Spirit's double measures are not part of the AI that P&O have put together.

Would this not go for the wines as well ? At a guess I would say the 175ml glass (£5 average) would be the one served on AI rather than the 250ml glass ( as you rightly state around the £7 mark)

As the AI trial gets underway we should all get a clearer picture of how P&O run this AI trial .

I did think about the large wine issue 🤣 I think you might be right but then surely you can have a pint of fraught beer?

I did think about the large wine issue 🤣 I think you might be right but then surely you can have a pint of fraught beer?

Even draught beer 🤣

There weren’t any more pages from those menus but I do have some pages from the MDR wine list if that’s any help

7d62c4ab61a81baeaaeed67057bd8be0.jpgba462b269efc7f85d5913751e740acac.jpg9f2da5f4bcd4bb6b7e2466be4814cacf.jpg6c19ba219dec1191dda21094815537d0.jpg