My last minute Conquest Cruise 08/21/2017-08/26/2017

firemanbobswife

Yes, you read that right. I did a cruise “incognito”. No Cruise Critic roll call, and I didn't mention it on here as I wanted to be totally anonymous and not get into any preorganized activities. I normally enjoy those things very much, but this was a last minute cruise and I wanted to go an just unwind. I was supposed to take vacation at the beginning of August, but they asked at work if I could rearrange it and I said yes. I didn’t have anything planned originally so it was no big deal. As time drew nearer, I knew I didn’t want to sit at home. What to do? What to do? As usual everyone was busy working and whatnot, so I decided I would look for a shorter cruise. I didn’t want to do a Fantasy Class, and it had to be a 5 day minimum because I wasn’t going to fly somewhere for anything less. Long story short, I ended up choosing the Conquest as you may have already figured out! This was my 3rd time on this ship with the last not being a very pleasant experience. For those of you that are familiar with my posts, that is the cruise I got food poisoning and ended up at medical. Horrible. Anyway, here goes.

I flew down on Sunday to FLL and stayed at the Hampton Inn which was perfect. Loved the location and the staff was great. Early evening I was picked up by some friends (that you may or may not know) and we went to the Rustic Inn. It was super! I had the grilled shrimp and a strawberry daiquiri. What a perfect way to start my vacation! Thanks again!

Embarkation day is here! I haven’t been out of Port Everglades in years, but it all started looking familiar once I arrived. I took an Uber and was dropped off right there where I was to enter the terminal. I am Platinum and had gotten an 11:00-11:30AM check in time. I wasn’t in a hurry this cruise because I knew absolutely no one on the ship so I figured I would take my time and not rush in the morning so I got there at about 11:20AM. I had received an email and a phone call previously saying to add an hour to my arrival time because there was going to be a delay in disembarking the previous cruise. They were full of baloney. More on that shortly.

I went into the Priority Line which was right there. I didn’t see the other line which I’m guessing was around the corner so I have no idea if they were turning people away that were there early or not. My advice is still to get there at or after your appointment arrival slot. I know they do enforce it in Miami and while I realize ports can be different, I wouldn’t have wanted to be stuck outside in that heat and humidity. Yuk!

A short couple minute wait to have my Passport checked at the little desks right there upon entry and then through security. After that, I had to wait in line to get my S&S card. Let me tell you – now that I have been spoiled (yes spoiled) by the new way in Miami where you get your cards in the mailbox, I have to say this was NOT fun and I hate the old way. While it was probably only about a 5-7 minute wait for me because of being Priority, the line for the non Priority folks was enormous. If you don’t like the new way of doing things then you need your head examined. Or maybe you’re the type that liked to sneak to your cabin before you were supposed to. Those are the only 2valid reasons I can think of.

Back to the baloney part of arriving an hour after your time. As I was waiting for my S&S card, I could hear the announcement that they were now boarding Zone 5. Yes! Zone 5! Again, I wasn’t in a hurry, but still. Hour delay my foot. Got my card, and they opened a door to the side of the line where I went right in to the escalator. Couldn’t tell you what the waiting are looked like. Never saw it. Captain’s Lounge was dark as well. Probably because those people were long gone. I don’t like the “warehouse” look and feel of Port Everglades. I remember it being different way back when. Seems like there was a pinkish/mauve colored area where the desks were and there were nautical themed decorations on the wall. I remember thinking it was so much nicer than the other warehouse terminal in New Orleans. No biggie, just different then what I was expecting.

Good for you.

Internet plan prices were as follows once onboard the ship. I purchased the Value ahead of time at a cost of $51.25. Note the 24 hour Social package was not available for this cruise. Not sure if it was because it was a 5 day, or if they are doing that across all ships now. Also if you want to upgrade to another plan, it's not prorated on the days left, it's the flat fee as if you got it from day 1.

d41dfe4e0c07fef0e3db4cf2d174d7eb.png

91ea1df30624e27454cb421d5978843c.png

175e1207d8beb59ba84bf2867b0a1430.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We did a last minute Conquest in July and enjoyed ourselves on the ship. We did run into a few problems with our room steward, probably the worse in 27 cruises, but got it straightened out. I would sail her anytime, great crew and staff.

Pat

Internet plan prices were as follows once onboard the ship. I purchased the Value ahead of time at a cost of $51.25. Note the 24 hour Social package was not available for this cruise. Not sure if it was because it was a 5 day, or if they are doing that across all ships now. Also if you want to upgrade to another plan, it's not prorated on the days left, it's the flat fee as if you got it from day 1.

d41dfe4e0c07fef0e3db4cf2d174d7eb.png

91ea1df30624e27454cb421d5978843c.png

175e1207d8beb59ba84bf2867b0a1430.png

As we are self employed, we always do the Premium as there are always a few work matters that need our attention while cruising. The wifi was horrible! we did find if we went and sat by the coffee shop we got better service.

One day when they had a mandatory drill for all crew, all the carts were abandoned in the hallway and I took a peek at his clipboard. I have said it before and I’ll say it again They do know who has prepaid tips and who hasn’t. The difference in this one vs the one I was shown by my room stewards on previous cruises was this one in the comments section, it had “Gratuities” “Birthday” or“Anniversary”. If someone had more than one it had them both. Example:“Gratuities/Birthday”. So yes they do know. Mine had just “Gratuities” in that column as I prepaid. For those that say you won’t get good service by prepaying, you need to go back and read the previous 2 paragraphs. He did also earn an extra cash tip which I left on the desk.

Thanks for confirming them knowing about tips. Wonder if they do know if people remove the tips?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Thank you so much for the review and all the information! We're on her at the end of Nov for the 8 day- so excited! Your pics of all the menus and price lists were much appreciated.

Do the prices for the drinks include the 15% gratuities

I am from Australia and these are automatically included in our prices

I am on Splendor in August

thanks

Cruise Love

I’m glad many of you enjoyed it and find it helpful!

Thank you so much for your comprehensive review and outstanding pictures! Great information when I cruise on the Conquest in September. Very much appreciated! :)

Let’s move to food. I like the American Table and I didn’t have a bad meal. No lobster on Elegant evening, but I don’t eat it anyway. For some odd reason just about every menu I got was dirty and had food on it as you will see. Sorry. What can you do? The BBQ upstairs from Lido was fantastic! I know it’s not Guy’s Pig and Anchor, but it tasted just as good to me and they do use his sauces. Guys Burgers were yummy as usual as was the pizza. Yes, it is REAL Italian pizza as has been discussed before. I verified it with REAL Italian guy who was born in Italy and has been here for I think 8 years (I can’t recall right now so that might not be right). He works with me and when the great pizza discussion was going on, someone (I won’t name names) insisted it wasn’t real Italian pizza and wanted to hear from a real Italian. Just so happens I work with one and he says it should be a thin crust, little sauce, and it’s all about the cheese. Margherita is the classic Italian pizza. And no, Carnival’s doesn’t taste anything remotely like cardboard. If you think it does, then you should have your tastebuds checked or at least see if any of your medications are affecting them(this is for real – some do). Anyway, enough about pizza. If you want to discuss it further, go find the thread. This is my review and since I am always right that’s all I have to say about that [emoji39] .

9edd9c489ce686ed8faa413ba7732190.jpg

eae53906e1dd6a7797e66c7192a550b0.jpg

0be5102cf153017a264bae143a46b50e.jpg

c392222461ab6663885cc35b6d165265.jpg

f439d33cdafca65bcfe83b68a702d2bb.jpg

I know you did not want to talk further about Pizza but I thought you might find this interesting. I was in the Navy on a cruiser from 1962 to 1964. During visits to Italy (like Rome, Naples and other cities, we would try to buy Pizza. Would you believe, they did not know what it was. We would try to describe it as best we could and they would just look at us with a blank stare. I think it is actually a US invention made about 70 years ago in some Italian section of some large city, like New York. In any event, I like Carnival pizza any way, Italian or US style.

I know you did not want to talk further about Pizza but I thought you might find this interesting. I was in the Navy on a cruiser from 1962 to 1964. During visits to Italy (like Rome, Naples and other cities, we would try to buy Pizza. Would you believe, they did not know what it was. We would try to describe it as best we could and they would just look at us with a blank stare. I think it is actually a US invention made about 70 years ago in some Italian section of some large city, like New York. In any event, I like Carnival pizza any way, Italian or US style.

Wow. That is very interesting. I’ll ask my Italian coworker to ask his family next time he talks to them. He actually just got back from there a few weeks ago. That’s the advantage of having a wife that works for the airlines I suppose [emoji4]

Edited by firemanbobswife

• 9 months later...