Taxis in Cozumel

Evangaline

Does anyone have any experience with taking taxis from the cruise port in Cozumel? Is it safe? Is there anything to look out for or advice? Do you pay in pesos or US dollars? Where do you find taxis. We will be with Royal Caribbean so that the International port I think.

Thanks

It is safe to use taxi in Cozumel. There is a taxi stand just outside the terminal. There is also a big sign that lists the taxi fare ( in U.S. dollars) to the beach clubs and other attractions you may want to visit.

We came out of the NCL port and for some reason we did not see the signs. Make sure you do. We got swindled by the cab to Paradise Beach. He kept insisting on the price, but I found out how much he took us for when the ride back was so much cheaper!

• 2 weeks later...
We came out of the NCL port and for some reason we did not see the signs. Make sure you do. We got swindled by the cab to Paradise Beach. He kept insisting on the price, but I found out how much he took us for when the ride back was so much cheaper!

How much is it to Paradise Beach?

• 2 months later...
Some resorts and restaurants pay taxi drivers to delivery guest to their establishment so the driver may try to talk you into going to a place you were planning to visit.

I had this happen, we said we wanted to go to Paradise Beach and driver said Paradises pricing was not what was quoted and he suggested another beach club. I smelled a rat, and grabbed a different taxi and on we went to Paradise Beach for a fabulous day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For what it's worth, I don't think this is unique to Cozumel. We just got off our cruise and were in Roatan where our plan was to go to Little French Key. The contact outside the port for LFK lined up a taxi for us to go to LFK as the van was full, but this taxi driver did not stop trying to get us to go to West Bay instead. He wanted to charge us 4X the normal entrance fee to enter West Bay as well. We did not agree, of course, but some of these taxi drivers definitely have their own agenda.

The only time we have taken a taxi (it was actually a van) in Cozumel was from Punta Langosta Pier (on NCL) to Chankanaab and back in 2015. Prices were clearly displayed on a board showing the fares to various places. I verified the listed fare of $12 (for 1-4 people) before getting in the cab and there was no problem going or coming back. On the way there we had the whole van to ourselves. The fare back was $13 though, and I never did ask why.