Cruise Critic Community
topspin1267

Ports AFTER a major Hurricane

No, I am Platinum on Carnival, have gone on other cruises with other lines. I have gone on the Queen Mary II to Europe twice. My point is that Carnival had contacted me about this cruise because my Carnival vacation planner had known I wanted to do a Cuban cruise, he talked me into it although it was against my thoughts about a Hurricane cruise, at that time they only had two, mine and the one they just cancelled. I even booked it for me only, my lady friend can't go because she is running for office. I have protection with my Carnival card. I just don't like the waiting, I'll have to leave in the middle of next week, I need to check on my winter home in Ocala, no news there.

Edited by Lrupri57

Still waiting to hear from RCL on what change, if any, will be made for the 9/18 sailing on Empress from Tampa with 1 1/2 day stop over in Havana.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me too, left hanging out there. With a cruise to Cuba you have to make additional plans, change dollars to pesos, people to people affidavits, ect.

Me too, left hanging out there. With a cruise to Cuba you have to make additional plans, change dollars to pesos, people to people affidavits, ect.

You don't need to convert to pesos. uS$ is accepted, and frankly, preferred. Been 7 times to Cuba and always took US dollars.

Thanks, good to know, doubt that we go to Cuba, I.m sure Key West is out, they have enough to deal with, don't need tourist, besides who would there be to run any businesses that survived.

We are leaving Oct 26, with St Martin as a stop. I am sure the cruise lines are anxiously awaiting news on the affected islands so they can make a decision as to alter the itineraries to other islands. I am sure the logistics are staggering, as many cruise lines will need to alter as well, as to figure out how many ships can call on an island in one day. It's probably a burden on them as well, as they know thousands of passengers are awaiting news on what islands they will be visiting.

Got A Email from Carnival, as of now the cruise is going BUT if things change they will let me know what my options are. My girlfriend was getting close to be added to the cruise, but if they drop Cuba she wont', She could have been added for $189.

Got A Email from Carnival, as of now the cruise is going BUT if things change they will let me know what my options are. My girlfriend was getting close to be added to the cruise, but if they drop Cuba she wont', She could have been added for $189.

Cuba won't be happening any time soon.

not going until feb 25th out of san juan on carnival fascination, I am still wondering once a port is opened up is it still worth it. I know everyone goes for a different reason, but we will mainly be going for shopping, eating, and beaches, rarely go on excursions because never feel it is a good value for the money. then if excursions are not fully functional would everyone else be pouring out and making our areas over crowded? I am looking for previous experience of people that went to ports right after they were reopened to know if they feel it was worth it or not.

the ports in question of opening up is st Thomas and st martin, and please do not respond those ports are destroyed because I know that.

We are ready for you guys in Puerto Rico. We just dont know if the islands around will be ready. It was very very very strong the force of Irma when it hit those islands. We are embracing them and hoping we can help them get back on their feet. They do need our support!

We are ready for you guys in Puerto Rico. We just dont know if the islands around will be ready. It was very very very strong the force of Irma when it hit those islands. We are embracing them and hoping we can help them get back on their feet. They do need our support!

I feel bad for them and more storms possibly coming! But even if they take away all of our ports, I will still be happy as a clam at high tide. I LOVE being on a ship. When we do get off, we always support the island we visit.

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Cuba while Hurricane Irma recovery efforts are underway. Large parts of the country, including many areas of the capital Havana, are without power and running water. Transportation is difficult and many roads remain impassable due to downed trees and power lines. While Cuban authorities are working to clear the debris, it will be several days before roads are fully open in Havana. Outside the capital, north central Cuba suffered severe damage and should be avoided until further notice. On September 6, the Department authorized the voluntary departure of U.S. government employees and their family members due to Hurricane Irma. This is an update to the Travel Warning for Cuba issued September 6, 2017.

The Key West tourism council has recommended people not to make travel plans to Key West for some time.

I do believe this week will show the cruise line just what the real situation is when they sail this week...........stay tuned, plans may change for next week...........and then Maria is coming so who knows???

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Cuba while Hurricane Irma recovery efforts are underway. Large parts of the country, including many areas of the capital Havana, are without power and running water. Transportation is difficult and many roads remain impassable due to downed trees and power lines. While Cuban authorities are working to clear the debris, it will be several days before roads are fully open in Havana. Outside the capital, north central Cuba suffered severe damage and should be avoided until further notice. On September 6, the Department authorized the voluntary departure of U.S. government employees and their family members due to Hurricane Irma. This is an update to the Travel Warning for Cuba issued September 6, 2017.

Can you post a link?

On Oceania. Scheduled for Key West the first week of October. They canceled & replaced with a Grand Cayman . Planned on staying at a beach front hotel in Ft. lauderdale post cruise. Their phone service wasn't restored until today, 9/17/17. They said they are still running on generators; no power. So we canceled & will fly right home from the cruise. We will visit Fl another time. If they aren't up & running, I can imagine how bad the islands must be! Poor people!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

RCCL posts the following itinerary change on theie site. Of course, Maria may impact these.

Adventure of the Seas:

9/16, 10/7 – St. Maarten to St. Croix

9/23 – St. Thomas to Bonaire

9/30 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/14 – St. Thomas to St. Croix

Allure of the Seas:

9/17 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/1 – St. Thomas to Labadee

10/15 – St. Maarten to Labadee

Enchantment of the Seas:

9/18, 9/25, 10/2, 10/9 – Key West to Freeport

Harmony of the Seas:

9/23 – St. Thomas to St. Kitts

10/7 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

Oasis of the Seas:

9/24 – St. Maarten to St. Kitts

10/8 – St. Maarten to Nassau

With my cruise on Carnival Paradise to Key West and Cuba one week away, this is the email I got from Carnival today.

Nothing has been announced on changes for sailings from the 18th on…

As soon as we know something we will reach out to you.

Sincerely,

Manny Valdés

Personal Vacation Planner |Carnival Cruise Line

Got another email from Carnival offering excursion, I signed up for the 8 hour one that visits a lot of the shops and cigar makers, I'll believe this trip to Key West and Cuba when I get there, the 25th is coming fast. I will be leaving for Florida tomorrow morning as I want to check out my home in Ocala.

Okay it is almost 1:00 am, I took a sleeping pill at 6:00 pm, went to bed at 7:00 pm and i'll be leaving for Florida in about 10 minutes, wish me good luck, Cuba here I come.

Well, on the way to Florida, Manny Valdes, my personal planner at Carnival called. I thought, figures, I'm almost to Florida and they are going to cancel. NOPE ... Key West is out due to damage and the time frame before they are ready again, but CUBA is a GO, we are leaving Monday and will have one more day at sea. So it will be Cuba on the 28th and 29th. I'm hoping they will give a discount voyager toward another cruise because of losing Key West. That's happened twice for me, 20% refund and 20% off of a future cruise, both of these were because of noise, noisy pump on the swimming pool above us that they could not change until we reached port, the other for very early galley noise. Check your cabin locations when you book. But to be fair, they made it right. If you want to try Manny, it is Mvaldes@Carnival.com, he is really good!

My place in Ocala survived very well, but there are a lot of trees down, It is 90 miles from here to the cruise port in Tampa. I'm not a big fan of adding a fun day at sea to make up for Key West but w'll see if they give us a make up voucher.