Queen Elizabeth 2018 Refit

bluemarble

I've noticed several articles lately about QE's 2019 itinerary mentioning she will be starting the 2019 season following a refit in late 2018. The Cunard FAQ shows QE's next scheduled refit is in 2018 (following her previous refit in 2014). I see there is a gap in QE's 2018 schedule between November 14 and November 30, 2018 so that's my guess as to when the refit will be happening.

I haven't noticed any previous discussions about QE's upcoming 2018 refit here, so I thought it might be time to get a discussion started about it. With apparently only two weeks scheduled, I imagine routine maintenance will be the primary focus of this refit. I don't suppose there are many details out there yet about this refit, but if anyone has anything to contribute, I'd be interested to here about it. For starters, do we know if she will be going to Blohm+Voss or Fincantieri this time?

Regards,

John

• Like 1

I don't think there has been any discussion about it so thanks for starting the thread.

It's not much of a gap in the schedule so unless she is in Italy already I would expect her to be going somewhere closer to home.

What would people like to see done ?

I have no idea what will be done ... but I wonder if they will repeat some of the things they did on the QV refit, like revamping the aft deck in terms of deck furniture. Obviously the aft deck doesn't need extending as that is already a feature of QE.

As I know, Cunard had an agreement with Blohm & Voss shipyard and Queen Victoria's refit should have been done there. I was surprised that the maintenance work was relocated to Fincantieri. Maybe the reason was that Blohm and Voss was sold to another shipyard (Lürßen) and the contract is not valid anymore.

In my eyes we have to wait until Cunard reveals more about the refit.

• 4 months later...

The ratios of different power sockets could usefully be evened up a bit. I was in 4188 last month which has 9 US sockets (one permanently used by the TV), three continental sockets (two used by kettle and coffee machine), and one UK socket. I had the benefit of previous experience on Arcadia so took UK, US, and continental iPhone chargers, and a continental lead for the camera chargers. Any UK customer who didn't have at least a US/UK adapter or two to hand may well have been seriously hacked off by being dependent on one socket in the dressing room. The saving grace was that the US sockets were the right way up, i.e. not looking like faces.

If it's only two weeks it sounds like a general tidy up.

Sent from my 9001X using Forums mobile app

Yes, a reliable source tells me, QE will be going in for, "not so much of a Refit " but more of a "Refresh". Bringing 'some' of the interiors up to the same standard as Q. Victoria. I expect they will refresh the Winter Garden, and introduce the Gin Fizz bar concept. etc.

I wonder if they will change the name of the Cafe Carinthia ?

I must say, the new venue for the Voyage Sales office ( on Q.V ) is outstanding .

Guest SilverHengroen

It’s a shame Southampton let the King George V drydock be decommissioned, the work could all probably be done here if it hadn’t been, assuming it’s just a lick of paint and some new carpeting. Alas QM2 is too large, but her smaller sisters would definitely fit in a dock built to hold the QM (1) and QE (1).

• 3 months later...

I'm adding this post by Bell Boy from the dress code thread since I think it pertains to this topic concerning QE's 2018 refit (or rather, refresh).

Yes that's correct, as after the upcoming 'refresh of the QE' ( not refit as there is not much more they can do ;)) Cafe Carinthia will be renamed Chart Room. .

Given 'there is not much more they can do', are there any other tidbits or rumors anyone has heard at this point about the QE 'refresh'?

We are booked on the 2 night QE Bruges trip (following a lengthy conversation with Cunard and a good price) for a weekend away leaving 30th November returning 2nd December.

I'll make sure I'll make sure I take plenty of photos.

Hopefully the decorators will discover there are other colours in the swatch book besides brown and beige. I don't think there is a ship on the high seas with more brown and beige than QUEEN ELIZABETH. It used to be "Queen Victoria & Mr. Brown" but it's really QUEEN ELIZABETH.

Edited by kohl57

Hopefully the decorators will discover there are other colours in the swatch book besides brown and beige. I don't there is a ship on the high seas with more brown and beige than QUEEN ELIZABETH. It used to be "Queen Victoria & Mr. Brown" but it's really QUEEN ELIZABETH.

really? I much prefer her muted tones than those ghastly multicoloured and garish psychedelic travesties that assault the senses at very turn with every room a different colour and every view point an insult to good taste and understatement.

Give me a well appointed and decorated Cunarder everytime.

• Like 1

"Give me a well appointed and decorated Cunarder everytime."

Indeed, like QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 as originally completed in 1969....!

she was the height of fashion at the time and some would say a fashion leader

• 2 months later...

Just noticed this interesting cruise listed on one of the big-name US cruise booking web sites for the dates QE will be undergoing her "refresh" this November.

16 Days Baltic/Russia

CunardQueen Elizabeth

Southampton, Bremerhaven, Hamburg, Warnemunde, Travemunde, Bremerhaven, Hamburg, Warnemunde, Travemunde, Bremerhaven, Hamburg, Warnemunde, Travemunde, Bremerhaven, Southampton

1 departure date: Nov 14 2018

Call for Price

Day 1 Wed Nov 14 - Southampton - Depart 4:30 pm

Day 2 Thu Nov 15 - Cruising

Day 3 Fri Nov 16 - Bremerhaven - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 4 Sat Nov 17 - Hamburg - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 5 Sun Nov 18 - Warnemunde - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 6 Mon Nov 19 - Travemunde - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 7 Tue Nov 20 - Bremerhaven - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 8 Wed Nov 21 - Hamburg - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 9 Thu Nov 22 - Warnemunde - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 10 Fri Nov 23 - Travemunde - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 11 Sat Nov 24 - Bremerhaven - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 12 Sun Nov 25 - Hamburg - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 13 Mon Nov 26 - Warnemunde - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 14 Tue Nov 27 - Travemunde - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 10:00 pm

Day 15 Wed Nov 28 - Bremerhaven - Arrive 5:00 am Depart 7:00 pm

Day 16 Thu Nov 29 - Cruising

Day 17 Fri Nov 30 - Southampton - Arrive 6:30 am

I wonder what the response would be if one actually did "call for price" on this "cruise"? :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/20/2018 at 7:12 PM, BA001 said:

We are booked on the 2 night QE Bruges trip (following a lengthy conversation with Cunard and a good price) for a weekend away leaving 30th November returning 2nd December.

I'll make sure I'll make sure I take plenty of photos.

I will check back for your critique after 2 December.  Would be interested to know if QE bathrooms have finally done away with stupid plastic shower curtains, so last century.  HAL ships mostly converted to glass-enclosed showers some time ago, so perhaps you can advise.  Enjoy your brief sojourn.

Edited by Krisflyer1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 8:11 PM, Krisflyer1 said:

We are boarding her in Melbourne March 2019 cruise Q911 to South Island New Zealand.

We were on the last sailing, Canary Is. 1-14 Nov and before the cruise ended they were already tearing it apart, disembarkation was chaotic with workers trying to board as we were disembarking.

Really interested to see how the Australian cruise fraternity take to their dress standards, may be OK for a mild northern hemisphere summer but don't know how the strict "no jacket no service" policy will be greeted by a largely Australian guest list. 

Melb - NZ is a great cruise, loved it when we did it with Princess.

Cheers Tom & Maureen.