Inside cabins

elfinmagic

This may not be the proper place for this thread so mods can delete if so

We have dined anytime since its inception for breakfast, lunch and dinner - probably for 300 days. In doing so we meet new people every day and the conversation usually gets around to what cabin cat you have - we always book inside. Based on a sampling it appears that everyone we meet has at least a balcony or better. So I can assume that we are the only couple that has an inside cabin?? As I walk the halls there are name tags on all of the inside cabins. Are they placed there empty to appear that the cruise is full?

They ask me how can you do that? I come back with "our inside is bigger than the inside of your balcony inside" (it is), they laff until I offer to show them.

We always book inside as well. We have only sailed in a balcony twice on Princess. Once was an upgrade, and once was an upsell. We enjoyed the balcony, but will continue to book inside as this allows us to cruise or vacation more often.

While we usually book an obstructed oceanview or better, we are not at all opposed to booking an inside cabin if the pricing on the others don't fit into our cruising budget. It is funny that whenever we meet new cruisers, they sheepishly comment with their heads hung low about how they booked an inside cabin. My response is always the same ... good for you! Where are we right now?? Certainly, none of us are in our cabins so what does it matter?? I do like a little natural light or the ability to sit out on my balcony but I do make due with whatever cabin I am lucky enough to sail in ... just counting my blessings that I am on a cruise. So, sometimes it is an inside, sometimes an oceanview, sometimes a balcony and way less often, a suite or mini suite. But, one of my all time favorite cruises is one where we had a great inside cabin!!

I have been on cruises in which there were full ... no inside cabins available and have been on cruises where there were a lot of inside cabins that were unoccupied. But, it seems rare that they sail with a lot of open cabins anymore.

Another vote for inside cabins. As said, we only sleep there :D. Since we spend most of our time on deck or off the ship on tours or DIY a good nights sleep is important to us. The inside cabin is nice and dark plus it's very quiet. And, of course, being much cheaper helps ;).

Just my "two cents"

<<<Karen>>>

P.S. We are in an inside sideways cabin for this cruise.

I always book an inside, and as I cruise solo, mainly, I like to have traditional late dining, so I don't have to explain myself every night as to why I travel solo! And as others have said I only shower and sleep in my cabin. My very first cruise was a 30 day one, in an inside cabin.

We have sailed in Insides, balcony, mini and full suites it really just depends on the budget and itinerary.

We are looking at a port intensive 30 day voyage right now and if we book it we will book an inside so we have more room in the budget for excursions and air fare. As long as I am on the ship I am happy!

A segment of the population are budget travelers. We are two of them. We just can't justify sometimes close to $1000 C per person more for a 14 day cruise just to have your own balcony. We have the entire top deck for sitting outside. Our income is limited and we prefer to cruise a longer itinerary in an inside cabin than taking a shorter cruise in a more expensive room.

others have the income to spend on a better room. Although we thought we might feel like second class citizens on our first cruise, we quickly got over that and just feel blessed to be able to enjoy the cruising experience.

Don

We have no problem booking an inside cabin. We have more than 500 days on HAL and more than 300 days on Princess and have never had a balcony. I found that due to the curve of the side of the ship, it is likely that an inside cabin will have more square footage than an outside. Windows are nice, but if I don't have one I can just tune the tv to the ship's camera.

This thread is refreshing 😊

We have our first ever inside, a sideways cabin on our upcoming 10 day Regal cruise.

We have the three for free with 200 OBC and grads paid for

We would lose those perks to switch

Reading these replies makes me feel better about it. 😊

We book all categories, and alternate between inside, full suite, back to obstructed ocean view, back to non-obstructed mini suite, et cet. We've set out to book insides on many occasions, only to find that obstructed o/views run almost the same as an inside $25 more pp, but since we use FCC's to book, the onboard credits are twice as much so the o/view obstructed Cabins end up costing less when factoring in the OBC's

Mud_Shark:

A segment of the population are budget travelers. We are two of them. We just can't justify sometimes close to $1000 C per person more for a 14 day cruise just to have your own balcony. We have the entire top deck for sitting outside.

I ditto every word of this. I have only booked insides.

Janetz:

We have our first ever inside, a sideways cabin on our upcoming 10 day Regal cruise.

I had a sideways on the Regal earlier this year. You'll enjoy the extra desk space. :D

I think it's unreasonable to think that nobody else books inside. We always book inside only. Why would I want to pay more for a room we simply sleep in?

I think this response highlights the difference between those that prefer inside vs those who prefer balcony. My boys are always in an inside across the hall from us. They have zero issue with it (how could they when mom and dad are paying!) and as teens allows them to sleep later. They are often out an about during the day and use the room to shower, change and maybe catch a nap.

DH and I are balcony people - but we spend a LOT of time on our balcony. We don't do the lido pool or the adult area - we just happen to prefer our private balcony space. We sleep with the curtains open, rise with the sun and watch the stars in our robes at night. For us, it is our main relaxing spot so worth every penny.

There are also those that wouldn't cruise without a suite. They value the perks and amenities. Unless the price is right and the cost difference minimal, I'm not going there.

So I think it is a case of different strokes for different folks. If you like to be out and about and being on the open decks, then inside makes perfect sense. Those of us that like balconies aren't better - just different. You gotta go with what you like. So if you ever run into us on a cruise and ask us, we will be in a balcony - but we aren't trying to one up you...we are just enjoying our private slice of paradise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had our first inside cabin in a while last month on the Caribbean Princess. We survived for 12 days. It was port-intensive--British isles--so for this cruise, the cabin really was really about a place to sleep and shower. It was perfect. It was our first time on the Lido Deck, which was very convenient for quick breakfasts.

I am traveling solo so paying the full cost of the cabin. The only way that my cruising was possible was to book an inside cabin. I would prefer a room with a view, but it was too much for my budget. I know i will be happy with my inside cabin and like others, i don't plan on being there much.

LOL funny how "everyone" is in a balcony or better huh?

My guess is that what really happens is only people who are in a balcony or above would ever start a conversation about what type of cabin they're in. I am assuming most people in interior cabins avoid the topic? Maybe just discuss what deck they are on?

Now before anyone takes offense, I have absolutely no issue with booking interior, and we have, although Oceanview is typically our choice, we are bargain cruisers so if you got a good deal, go for it! I'm just saying that the reason they might have conversations and everyone says they are in balcony and above is because those people want to brag about it [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums