Have you taken your Sirius radio on board?

CaroleSP

We are signing up for the satellite service this month and my husband wants to take his sportster with him next March. It only makes sense if he's going to have service.

Our March cruise is the Eastern Carib; I know we get phone service in St Thomas & San Juan.

Hope I hear some good feedback. Thanks for your help.

Carol: My husband tried his XM satellite radio in the Eastern Caribbean while at sea in February several times and could not get a signal. He didn't try it often, just only several times. We should have tried it in Mexico last month, but didn't try. I hope you get a more positive response. It would be nice to have satellite radio at sea. We do love having satellite radio with all the diverse programming and news.

• 2 years later...

this is a very old thread I pulled up with a search. Thinking of buying DH a portable satellite radio so that he does not miss collage sports.

But, if it is no good out of the country, wont serve its purpose. :( Anything change sense the original date of this thread?

I have the Sirius Stelleto, which is the small portable radio, and I've taken it on cruises to Alaska, Panama Canal and the Caribbean and I could not get a signal anywhere. Even when standing on deck, no signal. I was surprised by the lack of a signal in Alaska. On our recent Panama Canal cruise, I lost the signal less than one hour out of San Diego, and never found another.

We are signing up for the satellite service this month and my husband wants to take his sportster with him next March. It only makes sense if he's going to have service.

Our March cruise is the Eastern Carib; I know we get phone service in St Thomas & San Juan.

Hope I hear some good feedback. Thanks for your help.

Just got back from the Eastern Caribbean and lost signal one hour out of Miami. No signal for the rest of the trip. Sorry..................

Over on the RCCL board people are posting that they have had no problem getting Sirius, as long as they are on a balcony with a direct line to the sky..........We cruise in aft cabins, so I guess I will give it a try.......:confused:

LOL just re-read my post. Made me laugh! (if you didnt know what I was talking about)

Have used XM in Cabo (no problems) and on cruises in the Caribbean as long as we were as north of something like Jamaica. Further south than that and not much luck. You have to have line of sight with the satellite(s), so using it in your room, even with the antenna on the balcony, is really tough.

Mark

I'm listening to the History of Howard on-line right now, in Mexico.

That was a pretty good show this morning. They were playing a Master Tape Theater on 101 from July 1996. It had Crackhead Bob singing rock songs! :eek: Priceless!

• 1 month later...

I am going on a cruise in late March...yep, march madness. Have a Sirius Stiletto. I know that XM has a direct line of site kind of deal, so doesn't really work outside of US, but has anyone had any success with the Sirius portable unit, the Stiletto? Traveling to Virgin Island area.

As I wrote in Post #5 above, the Stilleto does not work on the ship. I lost the signal less than one hour out of San Diego and I tried again on my Constellation cruise earlier this month and lost the signal about 2 hours out of FLL. Never could get a signal even when out on deck.

I was checking out the threads and saw one for Sirius; thought it would be interesting for an update. I really had to laugh when I saw it was my old thread brought back to life.

My husband is the big Howard fan, but I really enjoyed what I was able to catch of the History of Howard. I would like to listen to it again to catch what I missed.

We don't have the portable receivers, just the car mounts and the boom box, so I won't let DH take it with us this year. We have an aft balcony, but we have to take a plane one way, and it's not worth the ag. Next year, we are RT Cape Liberty and I don't care if he wants to drag the thing around.

Thanks for bringing us up to date.

We have taken our SIRIUS (small) BOOMBOX on dozens of cruises. As long as your balcony faces the correct direction, you should have a signal. That having been said, the signal becomes very week in the St. Thomas/Maarten areas as well as towards Panama. So, at the outer limits of southern and eastern - bring an mp3 player to hook up to the aux input!

Tom

We have taken our SIRIUS (small) BOOMBOX on dozens of cruises. As long as your balcony faces the correct direction, you should have a signal. That having been said, the signal becomes very week in the St. Thomas/Maarten areas as well as towards Panama. So, at the outer limits of southern and eastern - bring an mp3 player to hook up to the aux input!

Tom

WEAK! :o

Tom

Archived