Doesn't seem fair

wannatan

hi we are sailing on the sept 20th royal princess western med. I've just looked at some postings on the roll call and it seems people are getting what I can only describe as a FREE cruise with a so called move over offer. Now while I like the idea of my Mini Suite I would much rather a Free cruise or a heavily discounted one. How do they pick these cabins and who gets this offer. I have seen mini suite to deluxe balcony and balcony to inside. It seems like it's not just the most sailed who gets the offer as only lady said it's her first princess cruise. I'm miffed at this never have I heard of it and to be honest its leaving a rather sour taste in my mouth!! Ive paid a small fortune for this and if they can do things like that then why not lower everybody's fare and not overbook in the first place. Offering 100% is not fair to the rest of us.

I'm not sure I will cruise with princess again after this.

Jane:(

All cruise lines overbook. They do this knowing that there will be cancelations as the sailing date approaches. Sometimes there are fewer cancelations than the cruise line projected. In that case they make offers to passengers to give up their cabin for discounted or free cruise in the future. These are called Mover Over Offers.

To get an offer you have to have a cabin in a category the cruise line needs. It is just the luck of the draw who gets the offer. Beyond that, you must be quick. They usually make the offer to mover people than they need. They first ones to agree get the deal.

Whilst one should never expect these things nor bank on them happening, my experience has left a bad taste in my mouth which has resulted in me cancelling all future Princess bookings and dismissing Princess for all my future cruises. I do usually 3 or 4 a year, so a fair amount I suppose. I was offered the downgrade from balcony to inside for a refund of my fare as obc. My TA called back within 5 minutes of the deal still being available to be told "sorry, not available any more". I had never had anything like this happen before so really didn't know I had to grab it immediately so I feel like they offered me £1000 and took it back from me in 5 minutes saying "only joking".

That's how I feel anyway.

To be totally honest, that was only part of the problem I had with my recent cruise on the Royal, the admin problems started at booking and even now I'm still awaiting a refund of the pre-purchased obc two weeks after disembarking. Strangely my on board account is always charged to my card within a day or two, but a credit? Not a chance.

So, whilst all cruise lines do this, I doubt they will be aware how much this backfires on them with people like me. I did e-mail customer relations telling them I have cancelled all my future cruises (I had two booked), I got a stock reply - they don't care, their ships are full so happy days!

Life isn't fair and business has no reason to be.

Except for people who envy those who get/have what they don't and come to the internet to whine about how they are "just as special if not more" and should be the one to get that "super offer".

The OP should do what Scotraveller did and cancel their cruise, never to sail again. The resentment of not being offered a move-over deal, saving a significant amount, will fester like a boil. The best salve for that boil is to withhold your business.

hi we are sailing on the sept 20th royal princess western med. I've just looked at some postings on the roll call and it seems people are getting what I can only describe as a FREE cruise with a so called move over offer. Now while I like the idea of my Mini Suite I would much rather a Free cruise or a heavily discounted one. How do they pick these cabins and who gets this offer. I have seen mini suite to deluxe balcony and balcony to inside. It seems like it's not just the most sailed who gets the offer as only lady said it's her first princess cruise. I'm miffed at this never have I heard of it and to be honest its leaving a rather sour taste in my mouth!! Ive paid a small fortune for this and if they can do things like that then why not lower everybody's fare and not overbook in the first place. Offering 100% is not fair to the rest of us.

I'm not sure I will cruise with princess again after this.

Jane:(

This means they were booked on a cruise that was over-booked and were offered a mover over offer. Get over it. Your turn may come.

To say get over it is to me bad. I've booked over 6 months in advance paid top money as we are from the uk and I find out this sort of stuff happens. Yes I understand cruises like airlines overbook but to just choose a few to get what I can only call an outstanding offer an bear in mind they still get their cruise is what I find wrong. If this is what needs to be done to move cabins around then an email should surely be sent to everyone and whoever comes back to them first gets the offers not just a selected few

my experience has left a bad taste in my mouth which has resulted in me cancelling all future Princess bookings and dismissing Princess for all my future cruises. I didn't know I had to grab it immediately so I feel like they offered me £1000 and took it back from me in 5 minutes saying "only joking". !

I would honestly call that a huge overreaction.

Princess simply couldn't offer moveovers to everyone on the cruise, it would be bedlam. When move over offers are made, which is on a case by case basis. it is to only a small amount of people who are in a cabin category that they need. If they for example need a few inside cabins cabins they won't make move over offers to those in mini suites.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To say get over it is to me bad. I've booked over 6 months in advance paid top money as we are from the uk and I find out this sort of stuff happens.

you know, you'd be better off not knowing about the move over offers. Roll calls are evil!

See, my life is so simple - I never knew move over offers existed, so I don't envy anyone or seethe with rage over it. I will definitely NOT cancel my future business with any cruise line over someone else getting a move over or whatever offer...

To say get over it is to me bad. I've booked over 6 months in advance paid top money as we are from the uk and I find out this sort of stuff happens. Yes I understand cruises like airlines overbook but to just choose a few to get what I can only call an outstanding offer an bear in mind they still get their cruise is what I find wrong. If this is what needs to be done to move cabins around then an email should surely be sent to everyone and whoever comes back to them first gets the offers not just a selected few

To be honest if you were happy with the price when you booked you should be happy all the time. It's no different to any last minute deals or sale reductions in retail shops, the most annoying thing is knowing about them, particularly when someone starts bragging they got a deal.

Yes exactly I'd rather have not known. If u can leave it till last minute and get a good deal I say well on you I have absolutely no problem with that BUT to offer 100% discount seems unfair. I'd booked paid and was happy now 10/11 days to go an I'm a bit to say the least not happy. I will go on my cruise in the cabin I booked but I will wonder if the person sitting on my table at dinner has had a freebie!!

Hi ... if they have had an move over offer they won't be at your table for free they will be on another cruise. Those offered a down grade on their cabin will have been compensated for moving to a smaller or lower grade cabin. We were offered a move over on our summer cruise from Southampton this year and we are new to Princess however we didn't take the option as we can't just drop and re book another cruise due to work. Had we been flexible we would have jumped ship no problem. We met others on board who also turned down the offer and we had a great holiday experience and would do it all over again. As your cruise is also offered as a 10 day and 21 day extended cruise I guess that's we're the over booking comes in. Don't let it spoil your holiday I hope you enjoy it.

Hi ... if they have had an move over offer they won't be at your table for free they will be on another cruise. Those offered a down grade on their cabin will have been compensated for moving to a smaller or lower grade cabin. We were offered a move over on our summer cruise from Southampton this year and we are new to Princess however we didn't take the option as we can't just drop and re book another cruise due to work. Had we been flexible we would have jumped ship no problem. We met others on board who also turned down the offer and we had a great holiday experience and would do it all over again. As your cruise is also offered as a 10 day and 21 day extended cruise I guess that's we're the over booking comes in. Don't let it spoil your holiday I hope you enjoy it.

From what I've read they are still on this cruise they haven't had to re book just take a different cabin and load of OBC which if not used will be refunded in cash after cruise

Yes exactly I'd rather have not known. If u can leave it till last minute and get a good deal I say well on you I have absolutely no problem with that BUT to offer 100% discount seems unfair. I'd booked paid and was happy now 10/11 days to go an I'm a bit to say the least not happy. I will go on my cruise in the cabin I booked but I will wonder if the person sitting on my table at dinner has had a freebie!!

Really?! If I found out someone got a moveover deal or any deal that resulted in them getting a better deal or even a free cabin, I would say good for them. It certainly wouldn't impact my cruise and I certainly wouldn't cancel. Pretty stupid in my opinion!

On my first Alaska cruise, we showed up to check in and found out we had been upgraded from an oceanview to a category BA balcony cabin due to someone having to cancel last minute. Would seem pretty stupid that someone might actually be upset that they didn't get the upgrade or some offer that would lower the price of their cabin because we got lucky to get an upgrade. And that is what it was, luck.

If I found out that someone sitting at my table in the MDR got a freebie, I would congratulate them, not whine that it is so unfair because I didn't get the same freebie. And the only way I would find out is if they shared that information with me because frankly, I wouldn't give a damn if someone on the cruise got a freebie or a deal that wasn't offered to me. Wow!

Edited by huskerdan25

How close to the cruise terminal do you live? If you're flying, did you book your air with Princess? How many excursions did you book through the cruise line? Have you compared your answers to those who got the move-over offers?

Princess can't afford to extend 100 move-over offers if they only need 7, but if they need 7, THEY NEED 7. They're going to look at the demographics and determine who's likely to be the most successful, and pitch it to them. Heck, the computer probably has the entire passenger manifest pre-sorted based on how likely they'd accept a MOO. Someone who bought their own airfare is less likely to accept. Someone who doesn't have any Princess excursions is likely to have independent tours booked that aren't refundable, so they're less likely to accept.

We live in the Seattle metro area, 40 minute drive to the cruise terminal (so no flights). We have no kids (fact, but Princess at least knows that we've never cruised them with kids, so they'd likely assume no kids). We'd be a great candidate for a MOO, but we have no excursion booked in Skagway or Victoria for our upcoming cruise, so now they'll think we might have an independent tour lined up for one or both ports (we have a $580 private tour in Skagway that's already paid and not refundable), and we probably dropped down the list because of that.

Did you send you concerns to customerrelations@princesscruises.com ?Or did you phone Princess direct and request you speak with customer relations?

My travel agent isn't in till Monday and I will get her to contact Princess then. I believe that it's best as at times when I've tried to contact different holiday companies and I've booked through a TA they will only speak to agent. Plus they are making commission so let them earn it

How close to the cruise terminal do you live? If you're flying, did you book your air with Princess? How many excursions did you book through the cruise line? Have you compared your answers to those who got the move-over offers?

Princess can't afford to extend 100 move-over offers if they only need 7, but if they need 7, THEY NEED 7. They're going to look at the demographics and determine who's likely to be the most successful, and pitch it to them. Heck, the computer probably has the entire passenger manifest pre-sorted based on how likely they'd accept a MOO. Someone who bought their own airfare is less likely to accept. Someone who doesn't have any Princess excursions is likely to have independent tours booked that aren't refundable, so they're less likely to accept.

We live in the Seattle metro area, 40 minute drive to the cruise terminal (so no flights). We have no kids (fact, but Princess at least knows that we've never cruised them with kids, so they'd likely assume no kids). We'd be a great candidate for a MOO, but we have no excursion booked in Skagway or Victoria for our upcoming cruise, so now they'll think we might have an independent tour lined up for one or both ports (we have a $580 private tour in Skagway that's already paid and not refundable), and we probably dropped down the list because of that.

Booked entire holiday through princess but have not booked any excursions we are platinum too so not new to princess

Hi I've just gone through your roll call and yep move to a smaller cabin and cruise for free..... amazing... on ours it was " compensation money " to move to a smaller cabin offered as a down grade. A proper move over that we got was to loose our place on the cruise and go somewhere else at a later date. We had a premium balcony but we wouldn't have dropped down either. It was only premium due to location on the ship same size cabin across the deck. Booking mini next time round.

just occurred to me: Since we are already in an inside cabin (always are), we can never expect a move over offer to downgrade. I am gonna go cry in the corner and cancel all my princess trips from now on!

LOL! I may have to go cry in a corner and cancel all of my cruises with Princess because it is just so unfair that you will never get a move over offer to downgrade. Life is just so unfair!