Wouldn't it be great if cruise ships took florida residents to safety

Cruise a holic

As I sit here after returning to my home in Cape Coral (just to the north of Naples) I can tell you that what is being suggested here is a total logistics nightmare! Ships were already at sea and could not return to closed ports. The people living near the ports would not be able to get there. Every major highway in south/southwest Florida was major gridlock.

In the aftermath there are downed trees everywhere, transformers down, no traffic signals, major flooding and yesterday I observed absolutely nothing open (gas stations, grocery stores-nothing!) We will eventually return to normal.

While all your suggestions are commendable, it would have been near impossible!

I think that all cruise ships in florida offered to take florida residents out to sea and bypass the hurricane. They should charge a fee. They could perhaps,

also bring the passengers up North to safety. It would create great publicity and good will.

NCL took 4000 of their stranded passengers on their ships to safety. The SKY is rescuing people off of ST Thomas.

Floridians know where they live. Many live in homes that have been made to withstand hurricanes. Many do not evacuate for that reason.

I evacuated from Florida in the opposite direction of the storm. It turned and caught up with me later.

I like your brainstorming, it's a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP if you read the examples of the way cruise lines are helping in SOME of the posts after yours' date=' you will see that your wishful thinking isn't so crazy after all. These massive floating cities certainly can be and are a refuge to many.

Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote']What would they do with all the passengers that are on their ships, before they become a refuge for many? Maybe, dump them off in the affected area?

NCL took 4000 of their stranded passengers on their ships to safety. The SKY is rescuing people off of ST Thomas.

Floridians know where they live. Many live in homes that have been made to withstand hurricanes. Many do not evacuate for that reason.

I evacuated from Florida in the opposite direction of the storm. It turned and caught up with me later.

I like your brainstorming, it's a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading some comments, I assume that those posting do not realize that in fact many cruise ships went to the Islands and picked up many people to get them out of harms way. In a true emergency, these cruise lines did come through! Way to go. I saw Royal, NCL and Carnival do this-not sure about Celebrity or some of the other lines but I assume Celebrity and Princess are owned by Royal and Carnival, so the parent companies did help. Wonderful.

Perhaps you haven't heard that many cruise lines are in fact picking people up in the Caribbean now. You need to think things through " before slinging left handed aspersions ". Read the news.

Considering that the Caribbean season hasn't started yet for some of the lines like Princess, unlike the other two cruise lines, which have ships in the area. Royal Caribbean and Norwegian has cruises that they have canceled because they were leaving from Florida Ports. Those are the 3 ships going down to assist in the Caribbean.

Not sure what is going on with Carnival because they have ships from the impacted ports. Not sure if their ships at sea still have passengers on them or not. But if they still have passengers on board they are not yet available.

Most of the ships that Princess uses in the Caribbean come from Europe and the first to move into the Caribbean doesn't even start across for another 10 days. So to put it simply Princess was not in any position to aid in the Caribbean because it did not have any ships in the region to help.

Edited by RDC1

• 3 weeks later...