Cruise Critic Community
NantahalaCruiser

Aqua Class commanding very high prices

My wife and I have enjoyed Aqua Class - primarily for the opportunity to eat in Blu - on several cruises. But looking at prices for several 2018 cruises, it seems that the prices of AQ cabins are going through the roof.

With the loyalty upgrade I can book either an A1 or A2 for the price of an A2; and also a 2A for the price of a 2B. So recently I have been comparing A2 and 2B prices for several 2018 cruises of interest. And I am seeing what I consider very large price spreads - the largest being a $1250 pp difference on a 12N Eclipse Amsterdam to Barcelona cruise on 8/30/18.

I know Celebrity will price their cabins at what ever the traffic will bear; but with that price difference my wife and I could pay for another couple to join us in Murano for dinner ever evening of the cruise and still pocket $50 each!

Any opinions on whether or not such large price differences can and will continue?

We've noticed the same thing. We could eat in Murano every night and still be way ahead in a balcony cabin. The difference between balcony and Aqua on a cruise we've been watching is $1750 per person! We could take 2 14 night cruises for that cost in a balcony. The food is definitely not THAT good. The extra points for loyalty level are nice, but again not THAT nice. We'll wait or book balconies rather than pay that difference.

I agree that prices have gone increased but it seems that they have increased across most, if not all, cabin categories.

We have 3 cruises booked in Aqua and on 2 the price for Aqua was $50 per day above a 1a. On our upcoming 14 night cruise it was $750 total, not pp. So for that price AQ is cheaper than the veranda & eating in speciality restaurants every night plus we enjoy breakfast in Blu.

The other cruise is the Edge which we booked on Day 1 and AQ sold out immediately.

We have traditionally been booking Aqua class on our last few X cruises. But the recent price increases and some degradation in the quality of Blu (our opinion) caused us to reconsider when booking an upcoming 21 days on the Reflection. In the end it made more sense to book a regular balcony and grab a dining package. But when we spoke to one of our cruise agents they had a great deal on the Concierge Class (cost us about the same as a regular balcony) so we booked that class. We later purchased dining packages that will cover 14 nights and got that package at a 20% discount during an X promo. We will likely use the MDR for the Chic Nights since they usually have an excellent MDR menu. The cost of the dining package worked out to about $25 per passenger day which was less money then Aqua. With that package we could opt to dine in Murano on most nights at half price. Our experience is that the menus and food in the alternative restaurants are far superior to Blu. Another reality about Aqua Class is that the higher priced A1 cabins are often in an awful location under the pool deck and in a huge shadow cast by the overhang.

Hank

Agree with Jelayne, the increases seem more across the board.

We usually book a RS. We had two with a 'price promise' booked in the U.K. (special offer, not usually available for us). If the price dropped within a certain time frame we could have the lower price so I monitored very carefully.

The price went up on both but more so on our Reflection cruise. The RSs sold out about two months ago at nearly £3,000 more than we paid. At that point the CS was then costing more than we paid for our RS. Just checked this cruise now and all suites are sold out....the cruise isn't until March.

I guess it's all down to marketing and supply and demand...I do think having the 'private' restaurants for Aqua and Suites is a key sales tactic. Those of us who have experienced enjoy, those who haven't wonder if they are missing out on something and are tempted to try next cruise....

We also notice a big difference in price between A class and CC for our upcoming Baltic and Russia cruise next summer. We were able to get a good price for a CC 2 for the price of a CC3 & almost all of the CC2 cabins are filled. There are plenty of A class cabins still available.

We are booked on TA next April. Usually we book AQ for TA, but on this cruise AQ cost about 50% more than we paid a year ago. Prices are up.

Dining package makes most sense.

We have sailed in a RS most of the time, and searching for a new cruise, the RS price has soared from what it was. Hopefully X will adjust back to a reasonable rate.

On a recent cruise, we booked CC, Royal and our agent upgraded us (without asking) to Aqua. We were VERY unhappy. For several reasons. a) the cabin was high on the ship and had a huge overhang which blocked our view of the mountains (Alaska cruise) b) we like fixed dining at a large, same table in the MDR at late seating, we are social. It was a huge hassel once on board to get changed. In BLU you can't even request to join others. Only your party. Not sure why people like this?

And, I did see on our upcoming cruise that Aqua and even CC were much higher than regular balcony, and worse cabins. I won't pay the delta for a worse location just to get the afternoon canapes, nicer robe and lunch on sailing day.

The cost for us to upgrade to Aqua from our regular balcony is $30 per day. We love Blue, but don't see the justification for that price. A four night specialty dining package is only $31 per day and the service in those restaurants is high quality, just like Blu. Some love Blu for breakfast. I wasn't a fan, but it is nice to have on disembarkation morning.

I agree that prices have gone increased but it seems that they have increased across most, if not all, cabin categories.

We have 3 cruises booked in Aqua and on 2 the price for Aqua was $50 per day above a 1a. On our upcoming 14 night cruise it was $750 total, not pp. So for that price AQ is cheaper than the veranda & eating in speciality restaurants every night plus we enjoy breakfast in Blu.

The other cruise is the Edge which we booked on Day 1 and AQ sold out immediately.

Actually, the 14 night specialty dining package is only $24 pp per night or a total of $672 per cabin - so AQ is a little more expensive. But I agree that breakfast in Blu is an additional consideration.