No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

Can anyone confirm that they have actually received a "new" Voyage Log from a Zaandam cruise in 2018? I see that they have resumed on numerous ships but the only mentions of the Zaandam seem to indicate that the logs have not reappeared there. I am wondering what the odds are that the log will be available for the March 3 cruise.

Did you get a map of your course?

(We did in 2013).

That was the best cruise. Pieter Bos was Master. It was his second cruise to Antarctica, the first being the cruise before. He told us he had ordered lists of books from eBay and Amazon on topics related to the area, and they were available in the Crows Nest as reference materials (they couldn’t leave the area). Cadets kept charts taped to the walls up to date with position and planned courses. He sort of turned the Crows Nest into a fabulous daytime cruise hub. (I’ve wondered if the concept for the new Crows Nest started with that.....)

No map provided, but I do recall our excellent EXC Guide saying that she would mark on a "map purchased in the gift shop" our route. (I think she would also have done so on your previously bought map. She did an excellent job in her duties, I think.)

There was an excellent display with maps, books, and a replica of an Antarctica camp site in the Captain's Corner of the Crow's Nest.

Disembarked the Zaandam on 1/6, and to our disappointment, no cruise log. The EXC guide said that all the ships had phased them out over the last several months, though one ship (I think the Zuiderdam?) was still printing "rogue" ones. It's a shame. I've always appreciated the cruise log as a nice, unique-to-HAL touch, and found myself sorely missing on this cruise, as we have no convenient record of all the stops on our incredible trip to Antarctica.

Something is very weird in HAL land.

MVPinBoynton, just above, got a Cruise Log on their Zaandam cruise of Jan 6 (which I assume was the departure date). Yet just above, Infi, who disembarked Zaandam on Jan 6 (so, on the previous cruise) was told that "all ships had phased them out...."

Is there just a total lack of communication among the various ships and between the ships and HQ regarding policies and practices? This isn't the first time there have been odd inconsistencies not just between ships but between sailings on the same ship.

(And let it be said I have zero interest in cruise logs -- if I ever got one in the past, it was left in the circular file before I disembarked. I just find these inconsistencies puzzling....)

OK, one more time; during late summer/early fall 2017, HAL phased out the cruise logs, used up until then for many years. They worked on creating a newer/different version of said cruise log during that time - see the last posts from Tiogacruiser (#481) and Illinois Girl (#499) for examples of that version. The new version is making its way to all fourteen ships as we speak, some already have it and are actively distributing it to pax on the last night of the cruise. Perhaps, they should have waited to phase out the old one until the new one was ready, who knows

We just got a cruise log for our Jan 6 Zaandam SA/Antarctica Cruise. Thrilled to have it.

And, those of us who disembarked from our SA/Antarctica on January 6th did not!:evilsmile:

I'm glad for you; I'm :loudcry: for my shipmates and me!

Having the latitude/longitude information on what dates and weather conditions would have added to my cruise experience and my memories of such.

And, those of us who disembarked from our SA/Antarctica on January 6th did not!:evilsmile:

Having the latitude/longitude information on what dates and weather conditions would have added to my cruise experience and my memories of such.

It’s not the same as a log, but since you didn’t get one, or a map, you might still be able to get a reasonable DR track from AIS. I’m trying to remember which program I used to track Veendam. There was a feature that you could download the track file. IIRC it was in KLM format. I was able to import to Google earth. Anyone know which program I’m talking about?

Okay. I think I found it. Sailwx. I just can’t find how to get a table or file of the track. The info is visible, just not useful, on iOS. I used my windows system to snag Veendams DR track file.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

OK, one more time; during late summer/early fall 2017, HAL phased out the cruise logs, used up until then for many years. They worked on creating a newer/different version of said cruise log during that time - see the last posts from Tiogacruiser (#481) and Illinois Girl (#499) for examples of that version. The new version is making its way to all fourteen ships as we speak, some already have it and are actively distributing it to pax on the last night of the cruise. Perhaps, they should have waited to phase out the old one until the new one was ready, who knows

Thank you for sharing so many facts that we would otherwise have never known, Copper 10-8.

What happened, is that Jenny's uncle started this thread in September. He deserves credit for creating our Voyage of the Vikings cruise log and for bringing back the new cruise logs.

Well done, Jenny's uncle !

Barbara

We did not have all that info, just a map of where we went, along with the general ship info; which was basically all I was most interested in. Apparently, HAL will be coming out with a new format for the cruise log. This cruise log was more to help everyone see where they actually went, since it is not a scheduled itinerary in Antarctica.

We did not have all that info, just a map of where we went, along with the general ship info; which was basically all I was most interested in. Apparently, HAL will be coming out with a new format for the cruise log. This cruise log was more to help everyone see where they actually went, since it is not a scheduled itinerary in Antarctica.

Thank you for your further reply. Having a map of the Zaandam's route would be much better than nothing.

Hope we get one on our upcoming Eurodam sailing! :)

We got a nice "voyage log" on the Eurodam, ending Jan 21. It lists the captain and main officers, interesting stats, such as 25, 200 eggs consumed and crew nationality. On the other side there is a map of where we cruised, the distance traveled that day and the average speed of the ship. The gold lettering is a nice touch.

We got a nice "voyage log" on the Eurodam, ending Jan 21. It lists the captain and main officers, interesting stats, such as 25, 200 eggs consumed and crew nationality. On the other side there is a map of where we cruised, the distance traveled that day and the average speed of the ship. The gold lettering is a nice touch.

Thank you, this is great to hear!:D

We were on the Eurodam last October on the 16 day trip to Hawaii and it was not available on that cruise. On the night before the cruise was over (at approximately 11pm), I inquired at the front desk, I was told it would be delivered to my cabin. Really? In the morning, a cabin steward told us it was eliminated months prior. I called the mariner's society about another issue, and they said it was coming back and would be sent out via email. Not sure when and hope it really happens.

Here's picture of one of ours. It is very nice - signed (?) by the Captain and embossed with gold! However, a disadvantage is that it will be too long for a regular file folder - I think it will need legal size, or to be folded in half.

b14edcc6dc51d8a2d1caf977d9c937b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk