No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

If Oceania is a premium cruise line (and I believe they purport to be), we didn't receive one on our cruise with them.

We must have some people who have sailed Seabourn. Do they provide Cruise Logs? I'll be on Odyssey in November.....but I'm not expecting to receive one.

Below is the reply I got from my email to the HAL President

"Thank you for your email to the Office of the President regarding cruise logs. Our President, Mr. Orlando Ashford, has reviewed your comments and asked me to respond on his behalf.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. We are not currently able to provide cruise logs for our sailings, and are sorry for any disappointment and dissatisfaction caused. Let me assure you that Mr. Ashford has shared your feedback with all appropriate senior management for their review and so they may consider whether to reintroduce cruise logs to our fleet in the future.

In the meantime, if you would like any specific information from your voyages, you can contact our Guest Relations team by calling 1-800-599-8256 or by emailing guestrelations@hollandamerica.com. Please make sure to include your booking number for the cruise with your request.

On behalf of Mr. Ashford, thank you again for your valuable feedback as it is vital to our continued growth. Loyal Mariners like you are the reason we continue sailing, and we look forward to welcoming you on board the ms Veendam in October and on the ms Koningsdam in January. Until then, we wish you all the best.

Kind regards,

Jennifer Lake

Special Advisor

Office of the President"

Maybe if we all sent a request to Guest Relations as suggested after our cruises that HAL will bring back the cruise log in at least a PDF format.:D

OK I'm stumped. Why so hard to provide the log as a PDF? I'm pretty sure the log starts out as a Word or similar document to be printed. Very easy to save a Word or similar document as a PDF. Could be emailed to passengers or passengers' TA along with the survey that everyone gets. Could even be offered on the on board intranet.

We are not currently able to provide cruise logs for our sailings, and are sorry for any disappointment and dissatisfaction caused. Let me assure you that Mr. Ashford has shared your feedback with all appropriate senior management for their review and so they may consider whether to reintroduce cruise logs to our fleet in the future.

geez you'd think it was a major decision??? How about just tell senior management to figure it out and DO IT or at least explain to your disappointed passengers a VALID reason why you are "currently unable" to provide something that has been provided for DECADES.

We are not currently able to provide cruise logs for our sailings, and are sorry for any disappointment and dissatisfaction caused. Let me assure you that Mr. Ashford has shared your feedback with all appropriate senior management for their review and so they may consider whether to reintroduce cruise logs to our fleet in the futur[/quote}

unable??, Huh?, scratching my head. You'd think they would be ashamedc to issue such a ridiculouus statement. I find it embarassing to read.

Mr Ashford does not have the authrority to issue a directive e, effective immediately? Printing office on board the ships............. Hey folks--- resume preparing and passing out the Cruise Log" Our GUESTS WANT IT. SEE E HOW EASY THAT IS?

Edited by sail7seas

We are not currently able to provide cruise logs for our sailings, and are sorry for any disappointment and dissatisfaction caused. Let me assure you that Mr. Ashford has shared your feedback with all appropriate senior management for their review and so they may consider whether to reintroduce cruise logs to our fleet in the futur[/quote} unable??, Huh?, scratching my had. You'd think they would embarrassed to issue such a ridiculous statement. I find it embarassing to read.

True story. I contacted HAL via the "CHAT" feature on their website and asked why cruise logs were no longer provided. Ready for their answer? "WHAT'S A CRUISE LOG?" :D

Where's that facepalm emoticon when I need it?

And I think the "we are currently unable..." should more correctly say "we are currently unwilling...". I seriously doubt that HAL is actually unable to produce a cruise log.

Penny-pinching at its most ridiculous.

True story. I contacted HAL via the "CHAT" feature on their website and asked why cruise logs were no longer provided. Ready for their answer? "WHAT'S A CRUISE LOG?" :D

Unbelievable! :(

I believe it! This is just additional proof of a statement I've seen here recently along the lines of "Call HAL 3 times, get 3 different answers" :( :rolleyes:

Lots of customer facing HAL reps have never been on a cruise....

I think the responses people are getting from HAL are fair and reasonable. Seems like they were caught off guard by the popularity of the logs and are rethinking, maybe even reviewing the content of the logs. Fair enough.

It reminds me of my old holiday favorite, "Christmas Vacation." Sometimes ideas look a lot better on paper than in real life.

No doubt there are lots of cruise logs which were being left in the recycling bin, or not given a second glance by passengers. However, HAL should make them available to those cruise guests who request one. Considering they were printed and made available for a couple decades, I don't understand his response of We are not currently able to provide cruise logs for our sailings.

Maybe we could barter or offer a trade off? "YOU CAN KEEP 2 OF YOUR SPA ADS, 2 OF YOUR SHOPPING ADS AND 2 OTHERS OF YOUR CHOICE FOR THE PAGES OF PAPER AND INK MY CUISE LOG WILL TAKE" . Nawwww....I didn't think it would work either. So how are they able to print all those ads if they're unable to print the log?

Edited by Shih-tzu
Added afterthought

I believe it! This is just additional proof of a statement I've seen here recently along the lines of "Call HAL 3 times, get 3 different answers" :( :rolleyes:

Lots of customer facing HAL reps have never been on a cruise....

I spoke (or tried to speak) with a HAL rep this morning about an upsell offer I received, and her accent was so thick that I literally could not understand what she was saying.:o

I had to politely excuse myself from the conversation early on, so I could hang up and call back in hopes of better luck. I did have better luck the second time and actually could understand the rep. I declined the offer anyway. ;):)

We also have contacted Holland America. I contacted HAL Guest Relations and also the Office of the President. And my husband called Orlando Ashford personally. We were disappointed not to receive the cruise log on the Koningsdam, but thought it was because it was such a large ship. We did receive the cruise logs on the Westerdam and the Prinsendam this year. My husband uses the info in his Cruise Diary that he prints for each day and that I add to the photos I upload to Facebook. In the meantime, we are going to bother the Front Desk for the info until they do a PDF or give us back the printed copy. I really don't care which.

Also, I love the idea of collecting the Junk Mail and sending it to Mr Ashford. I wonder how much we would collect in 42 days of of our Asia cruise and a 113 days of our World Cruise???

Edited by Storylady

We are not currently able to provide cruise logs for our sailings, and are sorry for any disappointment and dissatisfaction caused. Let me assure you that Mr. Ashford has shared your feedback with all appropriate senior management for their review and so they may consider whether to reintroduce cruise logs to our fleet in the futur[/quote} unable??, Huh?, scratching my had. You'd think they would embarrassed to issue such a ridiculous statement. I find it embarassing to read.

Is Mr. Ashford really unable to issue a dirrective to resume printing and disributing the cruixd log withugt hold ing z full Board of Directors Meeting? This is pfesident CEO of a major corporation.. All he needs to say is: "Do It', Our Guests want it'" . Easy

And I think the "we are currently unable..." should more correctly say "we are currently unwilling...". I seriously doubt that HAL is actually unable to produce a cruise log.

Agreed. If they were able to provide the Cruise Log at the end of my June & July cruises, they are able to provide them now.

It was a conscious decision to discontinue the Logs, not an inability to produce them.

I am surprised that management doesn't understand (nor care) how much cruise logs mean to many of their passengers. They are not just a piece of paper. They represent treasured memories of a special occasion.

Such ignorance is due to the lower levels of Senior Management of HAL, in my opinion. Stein Cruse, Orlando Ashford, Arnold Donald: I know for a fact have sailed on HAL cruises as well as recent Mariner Society Directors. It's the "Senior Vice-Presidents" or whatever their title may be, and maybe even in the next administrative tier down, that I think is where some of these decisions originate. It's a fair question, I think. Have these good people even cruised on a HAL cruise?

Many, if not all, of those HAL executives who were Senior Vice-Presidents have retired, I think. There is a new crop of officials in Seattle, I think.

I know when I retired, those who followed me have not followed the path that I had charted for my Department. This is what has happened to HAL, I think. Different folks; different times; changing customer base; and, we who are still HAL cruisers are experiencing the "differences".

What's the choice? Accept it, letting the "suits" know of our opinion for what it, hopefully, will be worth? Or find a different vacation alternative.

I wonder why they stopped it because it can't be cost which would be 10 cents/cabin at most. It's not as if someone is taking notes during the cruise, as the only log I ever got was wrong.

But I like it only as a "Hope to see you again" message. I already knew the itinerary, the Captain makes sure we all know who he is, and I couldn't care less about the names of the rest of the crew. Never ever did I see a review about a hotel mentioning the name of the HD.