PelicanBill

Hurricane Maria Discussion Here

My heart goes out to all the residents of the Caribbean who have been impacted by Hurricane Maria. While cruisers and the travel industry have been affected in one way or another, this is a mere inconvenience compared to the thousands left homeless and without the bare necessities of life. I hope restoration efforts will move forward without too many delays and I look forward to returning to some of my favorite ports of call.

Here is the link to the Twitter video I found of the airport. There were 2 videos. There seems to be just one now, unless I can't find it.

Thank you for the link. This is so sad. I remember that airport well.

I just checked American Airlines' site for flights leaving SJU. For Friday, Sep 22nd, they show morning flights (before 10 am) as canceled, but the rest are posted as "on time".

Of course, this could change, but at least there's a glimmer of hope.

I just checked American Airlines' site for flights leaving SJU. For Friday, Sep 22nd, they show morning flights (before 10 am) as canceled, but the rest are posted as "on time".

Of course, this could change, but at least there's a glimmer of hope.

I just checked Southwest for flights to/from DC and Baltimore and everything is cancelled tomorrow.

Please keep us updated. We may hear from you before Carnival. lol

I am due to ride the Fascination 10/8.

We are currently on the Fascination and came into St Lucia today. We are supposed to go to Antigua and St Kitts next. The captain said he would update again this afternoon. Wondering if we will be able to dock and fly out of San Juan on Sunday, I guess time will tell. My heart goes out to those affected.

Haven't heard about the docks but they just announced that San Juan airport has reopened for military and rescue flights and will reopen for commercial flights Friday.

Thank you to all the people who are posting helpful info here. You guys, at this point, are more helpful about giving good info than Carnival. Prayers, good thoughts and encouragement to all those who live in PR.

Getting back on board the Fascination now after a nice excursion in St Lucia. I suspect we will hear more this evening and I have heard that AoS is coming in to Ft Lauderdale instead of San Juan. I'll keep you all updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Getting back on board the Fascination now after a nice excursion in St Lucia. I suspect we will hear more this evening and I have heard that AoS is coming in to Ft Lauderdale instead of San Juan. I'll keep you all updated.

Thank you for your updates. We really appreciate you taking time to do them. Continued safe travels.

I was hoping to have some more concrete information for you all from the Fascination. As of tonight, we are on our way to Antigua but with a shortened day there (back on board at 1:30) and we got a note that advised that "the Port of San Juan remains closed and we are in contact with their officials regarding port assessment activities, which are still in progress. We expect to have much more information to provide you tomorrow afternoon."

I've heard conflicting reports about San Juan airport being open for commercial flights tomorrow, being open as late as September 30 and I've also heard them reopening 9/23 but with each carrier limited to one flight per day. Because of all of this, I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude and just praying for all of those affected much worse than I.

I was hoping to have some more concrete information for you all from the Fascination. As of tonight, we are on our way to Antigua but with a shortened day there (back on board at 1:30) and we got a note that advised that "the Port of San Juan remains closed and we are in contact with their officials regarding port assessment activities, which are still in progress. We expect to have much more information to provide you tomorrow afternoon."

I've heard conflicting reports about San Juan airport being open for commercial flights tomorrow, being open as late as September 30 and I've also heard them reopening 9/23 but with each carrier limited to one flight per day. Because of all of this, I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude and just praying for all of those affected much worse than I.

Thank you.

We are currently on the Fascination and came into St Lucia today. We are supposed to go to Antigua and St Kitts next. The captain said he would update again this afternoon. Wondering if we will be able to dock and fly out of San Juan on Sunday, I guess time will tell. My heart goes out to those affected.

Thank you for reporting on your visits. Would like to know how Antigua and St. Kitts look. Many (including me) counting on these ports for upcoming trips!

Maria gave the DR, and is giving Turks & Caicos a tremendous amount of rain, flooding, and there is storm surge in Ts&Cs. But no danger of a destructive direct hit there or the Bahamas.

Keep an eye on the path as the blocking high pressure systems are shifting. Five days out we may or may not be concerned about the US east coast again.

Thanks for sharing what you have so far. It's been very helpful and very informative. Please keep doing what you can.

While you were having fun in the sun in Antigua, news has been released about your ship. From Brand Ambassador John Heald (who I'm sure got it from Miami):

Itinerary Updates

09/22/17 – 3:30 PM (EDT)

Hurricane Maria

Carnival Fascination – San Juan

The Port of San Juan is currently closed. Fascination guests currently on board enjoyed a day in Antigua today and are now on their way to San Juan. Our intention is to be in position to dock this weekend, in the event the port re-opens, in order to give guests an opportunity to debark, if they wish to do so. Alternatively, guests may also remain on board as the ship repositions to Miami, where it will arrive on Tuesday afternoon and stay until Wednesday. Our airline partners are committed to working with our guests to waive any change fees associated with rescheduling flights.

Port officials have informed us that our terminal in San Juan has sustained extensive damage as a result of Hurricane Maria. The assessment is still in progress but it now appears that it will take several weeks to make the necessary repairs. Unfortunately, this means the following San Juan and Barbados sailings will have to be cancelled:

San Juan departures

September 24

October 1

October 8

Barbados departures

September 27

October 4

October 11

For all canceled cruises, a full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment.

Given the circumstances, we are working with our airline partners to assist those guests with independent air travel regarding the waiver of change fees.

Additional information will be provided to our guests in an email later today.

All right, to compare and contrast with what Royal did with Adventure OTS... they're similar in that they're both repositioning to Florida. But Adventure is heading straight there without stopping in SJ first (probably because they weren't sure the port would be open by then) and have definite plans on what they're doing once they get to Florida. Carnival made a clean break in cancelling three weeks' worth of cruises and offering their passengers a full refund for doing so. Which leaves a ship that won't be generating any revenue for that time. I wonder what they will do with it?

Thanks for sharing what you have so far. It's been very helpful and very informative. Please keep doing what you can.

While you were having fun in the sun in Antigua, news has been released about your ship. From Brand Ambassador John Heald (who I'm sure got it from Miami):

All right, to compare and contrast with what Royal did with Adventure OTS... they're similar in that they're both repositioning to Florida. But Adventure is heading straight there without stopping in SJ first (probably because they weren't sure the port would be open by then) and have definite plans on what they're doing once they get to Florida. Carnival made a clean break in cancelling three weeks' worth of cruises and offering their passengers a full refund for doing so. Which leaves a ship that won't be generating any revenue for that time. I wonder what they will do with it?

Didn't some cruise ships pull into New Orleans and house workers and residents in the aftermath of Katrina?

Maybe Carnival ship will be put to the same good work for three weeks.

So, things are a little crazy here on the Fascination. Carnival is trying their best to please everyone and ending up pleasing no one. San Juan residents (very understandably) want to get home to check on their loved ones who they have not been able to contact and yet fear being dropped in San Juan tomorrow (IF that happens) and having no way to get transportation home. US residents don't want to "wait and see" if we can let PR residents off with transportation and thereby cause them to get home from Miami 3-4 days later than planned, they would prefer to skip San Juan and go straight to Miami. There is much yelling and blame being put on Carnival and (in my opinion) no way for Carnival to "win" for everyone. We are just glad to be safe and our prayers go out to all the true victims of this devastation.

Thanks for the reports on Fascination and Adventure of the Seas.

I actually put a suggestion on NCL's Facebook page for our Breakaway cruise in December... add a relief stop (we have 6 port days) to bring supplies and organize relief work for us. I would be happy to clear debris or cook in a field kitchen for the day! Can I check my chainsaw and a few gallons of gasoline? No?

[emoji853]I don't know what CCL could have done you won't be able to please all. It is hurricane season I don't know but we have insurance for the cruise and airfare not until 12/3/17. We are just waiting it out see what happens are prayers for all affected by Maria.

So, things are a little crazy here on the Fascination. Carnival is trying their best to please everyone and ending up pleasing no one. San Juan residents (very understandably) want to get home to check on their loved ones who they have not been able to contact and yet fear being dropped in San Juan tomorrow (IF that happens) and having no way to get transportation home. US residents don't want to "wait and see" if we can let PR residents off with transportation and thereby cause them to get home from Miami 3-4 days later than planned, they would prefer to skip San Juan and go straight to Miami. There is much yelling and blame being put on Carnival and (in my opinion) no way for Carnival to "win" for everyone. We are just glad to be safe and our prayers go out to all the true victims of this devastation.

Thanks for sharing. I think they handled the whole situation well, but it's easy for me to say far away from the action.

P.S. To answer the question I asked about (what is the Fascination going to do for the next few weeks), it's apparently going to replace some of the cruises one of their other ships (the Elation) is going to miss because it is currently evacuating its dry dock location. It's a long story, and forgive me for mangling it (if I did).

Are there any updates on Adventure of the Seas upcoming sailings? We are booked on 10/14. RCL hasn't updated much and we haven't heard a thing from the travel agency. We declined the insurance so are stressed about what will happen. That said, our main concern is for all of the people on all of the islands to be hit. We live in Houston and see the devastation of Harvey every day.

Are there any updates on Adventure of the Seas upcoming sailings? We are booked on 10/14. RCL hasn't updated much and we haven't heard a thing from the travel agency. We declined the insurance so are stressed about what will happen. That said, our main concern is for all of the people on all of the islands to be hit. We live in Houston and see the devastation of Harvey every day.

The latest update at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/US/en_US/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates is that the 9/23 sailing, which was rescheduled to 9/27, has been canceled. They'll decide on the status of the 9/30 sailing "early next week". Perhaps at that time they will get to future cruises.

The latest update at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/US/en_US/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates is that the 9/23 sailing, which was rescheduled to 9/27, has been canceled. They'll decide on the status of the 9/30 sailing "early next week". Perhaps at that time they will get to future cruises.

We are booked on 10/21 AotS sailing. Our hotel (Caribe Hilton) just cancelled our res.

k.

We are booked on 10/21 AotS sailing. Our hotel (Caribe Hilton) just cancelled our res.

k.

Royal has canceled the 9/30 sailing, so they're getting closer to your date.

Since I don't see it anywhere else in this thread, I'll quote the relevant portion of today's update from Royal Caribbean for Adventure of the Seas:

The following sailing is being cancelled:

Adventure of the Seas: September 30

Given the impact of Hurricane Maria, we are cancelling this cruise to utilize the ship for evacuation and humanitarian efforts. The ship will arrive on Wednesday, September 27 and will operate humanitarian calls in San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Croix to aid in the evacuation and donate critical supplies to each destination. The ship will bring evacuees to Fort Lauderdale before returning to San Juan on October 6 to prepare for the October 7th cruise.

We are very sorry for the impact this storm has had on your vacation. The cruise fare and fees will be 100% refunded to the original form of payment, and we are also offering a 25% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare, if a new cruise is booked in the next 30 days. Pre-booked shore excursions will also be refunded to your original form of payment.

ST. MAARTEN STATUS:

(Viking has not cancelled St. M as a port stop for our cruise leaving NYC 10/14)

Just received the following information by email from a person who LIVES on St. Maarten and has a downtown business in vicinity of cruise port.

"....I honestly do not think your ship will be here on 10/27. It has been announced that there wlll be the first cruise ship coming on 11/11.

Downtown and the boardwalk are a mess. They don't even have full electricity there yet, so businesses cannot even clean up yet.

I am sure they will have to substitute the SXM port of call. Have a nice cruise though and we will be up and running soon, I hope...."

I am quite interested in the status at Antigua & St. Kitts, as those are stops for our cruise. Also I am quite interested in the previous info about San Juan, because this Viking cruise is supposed to disembark us at SJ 10/27.....so far no change in disembarkation port....

I found a dollar match offer for donations for those affected by Maria. The Kroger Foundation is matching contributions on their site dollar for dollar to a limit of $25,000. In case you didn't know, Kroger is a chain of grocery stores under the Kroger name, and others, that stretches across most of the nation. The donation page is at https://www.redcross.org/donate/cm/kroger-pub .

I found a dollar match offer for donations for those affected by Maria. The Kroger Foundation is matching contributions on their site dollar for dollar to a limit of $25,000. In case you didn't know, Kroger is a chain of grocery stores under the Kroger name, and others, that stretches across most of the nation. The donation page is at https://www.redcross.org/donate/cm/kroger-pub .

Kroger is the biggest grocery store chain in Tennessee. But I have stopped donating to Red Cross after reading the details of their organization and hearing the stories told by people who really needed some help in emergencies but didn't get it. Salvation Army and Samaritan's Purse is now the organizations we donate to.

Kroger is the biggest grocery store chain in Tennessee. But I have stopped donating to Red Cross after reading the details of their organization and hearing the stories told by people who really needed some help in emergencies but didn't get it. Salvation Army and Samaritan's Purse is now the organizations we donate to.

Samaritan's Purse certainly.

Regent cancelled stops several stops today. Post on a thread on the Regent forum:

We have updated itineraries on Eastern Caribbean voyages due to Hurricane Irma and Maria. For the time being, we've replaced calls to San Juan, St. Maarten, and Dominica. Please visit our website to view the new and revised itineraries which have been updated today.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

We are less then a month from Celebrity Silhoutte 7 day cruise and heard Puerto Rico is on iteninary. Can anyone who has been to San Juan in the last 2 weeks tell us how the conditions and if all of us should contact Celebrity to DEMAND a change in port if it's depressing to see devastation.

We are less then a month from Celebrity Silhoutte 7 day cruise and heard Puerto Rico is on iteninary. Can anyone who has been to San Juan in the last 2 weeks tell us how the conditions and if all of us should contact Celebrity to DEMAND a change in port if it's depressing to see devastation.

I think you should give Celebrity a call and demand a port change. Let us know how that goes.

:rolleyes:

....all of us should contact Celebrity to DEMAND a change in port if it's depressing to see devastation.

Rally the troops, boys, into the breach....

"Theirs not to reason why, theirs but to do and die"

You SHALL prevail >> either in fact, or in narrative verse composed to honor your valiant effort!!

Iteninary has been changed...thank you :p:cool:

I think you should give Celebrity a call and demand a port change. Let us know how that goes.

:rolleyes: