Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

Hurricane Maria Discussion Here

Maria Larosa on The weather channel said San Juan mayor has said half of San Juan flooded and looking at 4-6 months without electricity.....

I know we all feel very saddened by the pics we see of the devastation and I know we are keeping that in mind when we ask questions/thoughts about our cruises. I have a group of 14 and half have never cruised so they are getting more and more nervous as it took a lot of convincing for them to even go on a cruise. Yes I do wish the cruise lines would make decisions a little bit faster so ppl can cancel airfare/hotel, book alternative vacations.

We sail on Caribbean Princess 14 day cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to Eastern and Southern Caribbean on October 7. These islands really depend on tourism. Hope they can get there lives back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First Irma now Maria. Report today that Maria has 1/2 of San Juan flooded with more to come. At least 4 to 6 months just to restore power.. Have any of the leeward islands been spared by these two?

News outlet reporting that entire island of PR is now without electricity ... on top of flooding & wind damages more or less taking a direct hit, regardless of where the eye of Maria was, even the NWS radar had gone offline - the weakened electrical grids said to need 6 months or longer to rebuilt.

Thoughts, prayers & hearts go out to all those affected directly by these hurricane ... not to mention, the 7.1 quake down in Mexico. God is sometimes unforgiving and helpless, my rant for the day/week - those of us living with all the creative comfort, internet, running water & electricty ... count those blessings as we take them for granted.

Still in the middle of hurricane season & we are sailing the Bahamas run right around the 5th anniversary of Superstorm Sandy, fingers crossed. Nassau & GSC, it seemed, going to bite the bullets & Maria will just be passing north of them.

Jose was supposed to be long gone 2 weeks ago but it's making the NCL Dawn & Breakaway doing the go around dance this week (and, other ships on similar Bermuda routes) Remnants of Lee is still on NHC's chart this afternoon ?? Coastal LI towns just went thru a emergency preparedness checklist in case Maria decided to slip north & come close to the shorelines.

Unlike years past, hardly anyone is laughing at this year's long range hurricane/storm forecast issued early on, cautioning of an above average # of storms making landfall ... and, it only has to come close enough to unleash its fury & destruction.

thanks for the update Renee...What does TWC stand for?

The Weather Channel(TWC) on US cable TV.

TWC just announced that the San Juan airport wouldn't reopen until Friday.

Renee

thanks, I figured, but I am trying to google info about the airport re-opening, cannot find anything. I guess they just announced it on TV?

thanks, I figured, but I am trying to google info about the airport re-opening, cannot find anything. I guess they just announced it on TV?

That's how I heard. They just said it on TV. I couldn't tell if that was firm that it WOULD open Friday, or if it was just to give themselves time to assess the situation.

First Irma now Maria. Report today that Maria has 1/2 of San Juan flooded with more to come. At least 4 to 6 months just to restore power.. Have any of the leeward islands been spared by these two?

Antigua seems to have miraculously escaped major damages.

We are on the 10/8 Fascination out of PR. That is 18 days. It seems that Carnival has given this weeks sailings 1-3 ports in the Western area. None are switched to the Virgin Islands and none are leaving from PR- The update was today on my sign in page.

Waiting to see what they will do for us. Not sure if we should be packing, if we are going or not.

So sad and scary for those affected in the Islands!

I am watching both the San Jaun and St Croix radars to see what is happening. No path is a goog path. This eyewall replacement is not exactly clear. I hope it gets done before St Croix.

One path St Croix gets the full eye. The east-shift St Croix misses the current eye-wall, but if the replacement is complete it might catch the new NE quad of the wall. PR is going to drown in all the rain.

Hey Bill. Are you like me? 24/7 Maria TV and internet!

Yup... TWC and about 10 active Internet sources... plus still monitoring recovery sites for USVI, BVI, St. Maarten.

Antigua seems to have miraculously escaped major damages.

Yes. Antigua and St. Kitts & Nevis took minor damage. Apparently Saba is doing OK. St. Lucia and south are okay.

The new islands impacted are Martinique, Guedeloupe, and Dominica.

Hopefully we will start hearing of recovery operations and airport and port recovery tomorrow and not a count of lost lives. I can't imagine being there and out of communication for days trying to help your neighbors just survive.

Yes. Antigua and St. Kitts & Nevis took minor damage. Apparently Saba is doing OK. St. Lucia and south are okay.

The new islands impacted are Martinique, Guedeloupe, and Dominica.

How bad were Guadeloupe and Martinique hit? I was under the impression they were not a direct hit like Dominica was and am hoping they will be back relatively quickly.

Also waiting to hear about St. Croix.

We are on the 10/8 Fascination out of PR. That is 18 days. It seems that Carnival has given this weeks sailings 1-3 ports in the Western area. None are switched to the Virgin Islands and none are leaving from PR- The update was today on my sign in page.

Waiting to see what they will do for us. Not sure if we should be packing, if we are going or not.

So sad and scary for those affected in the Islands!

CarolGeorge:

I am also on this cruise. You state the update was on your sign in page. Which sign in page are you referring to?

Thanks.

CarolGeorge:

I am also on this cruise. You state the update was on your sign in page. Which sign in page are you referring to?

Thanks.

I think when you log in you see it at the top in red under Travel alerts. We are suppose to sail out of San Juan 12/3/2017. Just not sure what they tell us after reading your comment ...

I see it at the top in Red but it only has updates up to 10/1 at this point. We leave 10/8 from the PR port.

I think when you log in you see it at the top in red under Travel alerts. We are suppose to sail out of San Juan 12/3/2017. Just not sure what they tell us after reading your comment ...

We are travelling Nov19/17 from San Juan. So many ports that were on our list will now be changed. Maria hit San Juan hard today; not sure what hotels are still standing! Thinking we should change our 3 day pre-cruise to just arrive and board the ship. Anyone have experience in these situations? Heartbreaking for the residents. I wonder how long before Royal Caribbean posts new info?