Wine Steward and Table advice right on the Money

Cruise Arizona

First thing I did once we got on boad was to take my dining card down to the dining room, find my table and meet with the assistant Maitre'de (spelling). Anyway, Mario was great the whole cruise. I didn't have to do anything about the table. It was a table for 4 just like we asked for, and the location, though bad for some was perfect for us. We were way in the corner right near the entrance. This was perfect for us with the two young kids, we could work with them on their manners, the restroom was close by, and we didn't have to worry about fighting traffic to get in and out. So I was pleased with the table for 4.

The next thing I did was talk to the AMD about the wine service. I mentioned to him that we would be ordering wine with dinner every night and that on our last cruise the wine steward in our area was a bit over exteneded and we had un-opened bottles sit on our table for sometimes 20 or 30 minutes. Well we had fantastic wine service the entire cruise. As soon as we sat down our Sommollier was there with the wine list and ready to make helpful suggestions to my husband. He knew the ships wines pretty well, but it took him a while to learn what we like. We really like Bold Italian Wines like Borolo, but he was concerned that it might be too full bodied for us. When we assured him that this is what we wanted, than he was confident that we would like the wine. We tried lots of different wines at different prices and enjoyed them all. We even got the nice crystal every night after we mentioned it when we had with the Borolo.

Overall our dinning experience was great. That was my favorite part of the trip, getting dressed up with the kids (7 & 9) and husband to sit down for a nice relaxing meal. Our rule with the kids was that they could have anything they wanted for breakfast or lunch, but they could only order off the regular menu at dinner. What fun they had. They usually ordered from each of the categories. They were great aboug trying new soups and my son who never orders salad even gave a few salads a try. They both loved escargot and frog's legs. They had so many different entre's. I would have preferred more spicy foods, but the food was always very good. We all ate way too many desserts.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice about the tables and wine service.

Wow, sounds like you all had a great time. Do you recall who your sommelier was? Mom & I had Lalo on Horizon in April, and he was awesome. Really knew the wines, very helpful, infinitely cheerful, just great. I hope he's still around...I know he was on Century for a while this summer, at least.

A lovely lady named Livia. The fastest opener on record, beating the Matre D by 5 turns when 5 tables ordered from her. Let your glass be half empty & she is right there refilling it. A few times a waiter with 16 plates & lids missed her by inches. She laughes that it is radar built in her head.

Her vacation starts as they start Hawaii, so 2 month wait for her return.....

With a 15% automatic gratuity, a good Sommelier is a well paid Sommelier.;) We had a great Sommelier on Mercury recently. It was soon apparent to him that we would be ordering at least one bottle of wine from him a night and not just the cheapest on the list. Did he keep our glasses full? You bet he did! I think Bob was pretty pleased to have us assigned to him and we were very pleased with the service we had from him. He never did get us on those after dinner liquers though.............:)

Phil

They had so many different entre's. I would have preferred more spicy foods, but the food was always very good. We all ate way too many desserts.

QUOTE]

You can ask that a bottle of tabasco be put at your table, and if you like garlic and onions and peppers to "spice" it up, they'll bring you a plate of those to add to whatever you've ordered.

Has anyone asked for anything specific when ordering to make the dish "spicier"?

I did spice things up a few times... extra horseraddish on a horse raddish dish, and tai chili paste when I ordered the Phat Tai. Red Chili on pizza ect.

It really was not to big a deal, I really enjoyed all my meals.

The Escargot was wonderful, lots of garlic.

Oh, and I really enjoyed the Goat Cheese Soufle at the the SS United States.

DH and I weren't planning on doing the SS United States, but some friends we met on board asked us to join them for a nice meal with some nice wine, so we thought--Why not give it a try. We enjoyed the meal and the service was outstanding, but we felt like we probably wouldn't spend the extra money to do it again on our next cruise, we felt the the service and food in the main restarant was excellent and definetely more than what we require.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Suzanne. May I ask how old your children are? They sound wonderful. My son is 5 and has cruised twice with us and attended one formal dinner on each trip wearing his jacket and tie. He also loved the soups, which surprised me. He was fairly well behaved for a fidgety 5 year old :) Of course we had wonderful waiters and he became very attached to them. They took such good care of him. We also had a fabulous wine steward, Fernando. I don't believe he's still on Zenith though. Can't remember where he told me he was going. On our cruises we also looked forward to our wonderful dinners in the dining room. The food and service (and wines) were the highlight of the cruise.

A lovely lady named Livia. The fastest opener on record, beating the Matre D by 5 turns when 5 tables ordered from her. Let your glass be half empty & she is right there refilling it. A few times a waiter with 16 plates & lids missed her by inches. She laughes that it is radar built in her head.

Her vacation starts as they start Hawaii, so 2 month wait for her return.....

I think we had Livia on the Summit in Alaska - She was from Croatia I belive - if it is the same gal - she was Fantastic

When I sailed Summit in March/April of this year the wine service couldn't have been better!!!!! I'm the 'wine picker' of our family/group (my Dad collected fine/rare wines so I grew up with wine) and I must say she really knew her stuff!!!

Also I'd like to compliment you on how you cruise with your children. I didn't discover cruising until 2000 and by then son was "too cool" (or so he thought!) to cruise. Now he and fiance are begging to go. They must wait. The grandson is 1 year old now and another on the way ;)

When I was growing up my Dad had a job that traveled him everywhere from Europe to South America. Sometimes I got to go along. I started traveling when I was 5. Dad's words still echo in my ears....."You can go anywhere in the world if you have good manners."

I learned a lot and I think your kids will too. Bravo to you for having them try new things! They will appreciate this so much later on in their lives.

Happy cruising!

Mary:)

My kids are 7 and 9. DD is 7 and a pretty good reader loved reading the menu every night and trying, much as I did to pronounce the different foods.

My son is 9 and he was really good about trying new things as well. He normally is our boring food person.

We liked doing the full service dining during the day as well, but most of the time the kids would order a cheese burger from the grill for lunch, but occasionally they would get something or their whole meal off the lunch menu as well.

Marcin, our wine steward on our recent Millie transatlantic, and I were discussing some fine, but little-known Italian reds when I mentioned Masi's Campo Fiorin. I told him that is was made with a blend of four grapes: Rodinella, Molinara and Corvina grapes, but I could not think of the fourth. ``It's Rossignola,'' he quickly added.

Now, that's one darn bright wine guy. I hope is on the wine watch on our next trans.

Archived