Cuba travel warning

Noxequifans

We're due to dock in Barcelona on November 21st ... I do hope things have calmed down by then. I'm not concerned about our safety. It's more the ease of getting around, especially if things are still closed.

We shall see. We can't change our flight plans so .... if necessary it won't be the first time we made lemonade out of lemons.

We're due to dock in Barcelona on November 21st ... I do hope things have calmed down by then. I'm not concerned about our safety. It's more the ease of getting around, especially if things are still closed.

We shall see. We can't change our flight plans so .... if necessary it won't be the first time we made lemonade out of lemons.

For those who are trying to get a handle of the situation in Barcelona there are two threads on CC Spain boards.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2549921

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2549931

We're booked on two B2B circumnavigations of Cuba in May on the Sirena and if for some reason O decides to change the itineraries to go someplace else, we're still going as we just enjoy cruising with O. However, the chances of those itineraries changing are pretty slim from what we're seeing. We appreciate the visitor warning, but since our hotel is a ship, I think we'll be OK.

We’ll send you pictures of Havana and the Bay of Pigs. I believe we will be safer there than in Miami .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're booked on Oceania with a port of call to Cuba. I have no problem with it. I've even exchanged for Euros while in Europe this summer because it's a better rate in Cuba than US$. Eaches, don't forget to add Chicago and New York to your list. :D

Good luck. I would rather stay home.

Lots of people have their own "deal breaker" ports in this crazy world; to each his own. I have mine too, but Cuba isn't one of them. If you aren't comfortable with a place, then don't waste your money by going there. But some of us are excited to go to Cuba and don't feel it's dangerous. Hope you can at least wish us Bon Voyage. :halo:

Good luck. I would rather stay home.

Why are you on this thread? You said your not going so quit trying to discourage others that want to do more than stay at home and tell others what to do-

we are on the dec 1st sailing so we are GOING!!!!!

Why are you on this thread? You said your not going so quit trying to discourage others that want to do more than stay at home and tell others what to do-

we are on the dec 1st sailing so we are GOING!!!!!

Much better places to go than Cuba.

Much better places to go than Cuba.

Really?

We have been on 131 cruises and been to almost everywhere in the world EXCEPT CUBA!!!!!!!!

I was there when I was at the Tropicana when the ships people came and evacuated my parents and myself out---

I am THRILLED to go---

so you stay home BUT DONT RAIN ON MY PARADE!!!

FRANK

Really?

We have been on 131 cruises and been to almost everywhere in the world EXCEPT CUBA!!!!!!!!

I was there when I was at the Tropicana when the ships people came and evacuated my parents and myself out---

I am THRILLED to go---

FRANK

And why were you evacuated out? Not safe there then? Same people who were in charge then are still there now. Go and have a good time. Will go in the future, but not now. :(:(

And why were you evacuated out? Not safe there then? Same people who were in charge then are still there now. Go and have a good time. Will go in the future, but not now. :(:(

I thought Fidel died last year? RJB, are you Cuban by any chance?

I have two bottles of authentic Cuban rum from the 1950's that my father brought back. Now I can go and get an authentic Cuban Sandwich. :D

Really?

I am THRILLED to go---

FRANK

We're with you Frank! We're going in May and can't wait!

I thought Fidel died last year? RJB, are you Cuban by any chance?

I have two bottles of authentic Cuban rum from the 1950's that my father brought back. Now I can go and get an authentic Cuban Sandwich. :D

Enjoy your trip but in case for some reason you don't get there you can get a very authentic Cuban Sandwich in Miami. Travel safe. :):):)

According to Wikipedia (which is never wrong), the Cuban sandwich originated in Florida by Cuban workers.

Are Cuban sandwiches even a thing in Cuba?

I wondered where my activist stalker had been.

We all know that Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary are always correct. Considering that they're just contributions from people with agendas, I would trust everything they say, not. If you repeat a lie often enough, ignorant people will believe it. See it worked. :')

We all know that Wikipedia and Urban Dictionary are always correct. Considering that they're just contributions from people with agendas, I would trust everything they say, not. If you repeat a lie often enough, ignorant people will believe it. See it worked. :')

Umm, ok.

Anyway - maybe someone with knowledge of Cuban culture and food can respond too.

Enjoy your trip but in case for some reason you don't get there you can get a very authentic Cuban Sandwich in Miami. Travel safe. :):):)

TYVM. :D:D

It's just one port of call for a few hours on a 16 night itinerary. If we stop there, I'll enjoy it. If not, no big deal. I'll go with the flow. I booked for the full Panama Canal transit in an aft concierge cabin not necessarily a specific port.

BTW the authentic Cuban sandwich I meant was a locally popular sandwich (as in local cuisine) which is made in Cuba not the specific "Cuban Sandwich" listed on U.S. menus. It was more a play on words than literal. Sorry for the initial lack of clarity. I doubt that the people in Cuba would actually name their sandwich "Cuban sandwich." lol

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Is this all about a Cuban Sandwich? Let's all grow up and go or not go to Cuba. We will make the choices for ourselves.

Umm, ok.

Anyway - maybe someone with knowledge of Cuban culture and food can respond too.

Here's a link to an NPR story about the competing claims between the Cuban populations of Tampa and Miami. It's a three part article: the general introduction, the case for Tampa as the originator, and the case for Miami as the originator. Regardless of which US city is championed by food historians, none traces the sandwich back to Cuba itself.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/04/21/151050107/the-cuban-sandwich-crisis-tampa-v-miami-for-the-win

Here's a link to an NPR story about the competing claims between the Cuban populations of Tampa and Miami. It's a three part article: the general introduction, the case for Tampa as the originator, and the case for Miami as the originator. Regardless of which US city is championed by food historians, none traces the sandwich back to Cuba itself.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/04/21/151050107/the-cuban-sandwich-crisis-tampa-v-miami-for-the-win

Good clean fun for all of us. For a change. :):):)

Is this all about a Cuban Sandwich? Let's all grow up and go or not go to Cuba. We will make the choices for ourselves.

I've been following this thread and support your position 100%. We went to Cuba illegally around the turn of the century (twice) and went to the Tropicana show. It was wonderful. I can only imagine what it was like when you went. I remember getting a small bottle of rum and a cola drink along with some type of snacks. The one thing that struck me was that the beautiful female dancers did not have "enhancements" and were natural which, IMO, made them more beautiful.

Interestingly, when we went, they still took the U.S. dollar but we couldn't use credit cards. We stayed in Veradero (Club Med - no longer there - and another all-inclusive resort). We also stayed in Havana. It was an amazing experience.