Repositioning Cruises

jujuyu211

Hi,

Not sure if this is the place to ask but... I just went on a repositioning cruise recently and LOVED it!! I was wondering if anyone has experience on where to find repositioning cruises. In particular I am looking for one that ends in San Francisco (doesn't matter where it begins!) I did some searches online and seems like the information is inaccurate and there's no search function for end port (only departure port) on most cruise websites.

What are people's thoughts about repositioning cruises in general? yay or nay?

Been on several...WE LOVE 'EM!

Ditto. In fact, have one just 17 days away, SF-FLL.

As finding one ending in SF, not many ships homeport in SF (only 1, and it is there year around) so that limits things. But if you look for ships repo-ing to Alaska from the Caribbean (usually in April or May), you may find some that allow for you to get off in SF.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I find repositioning cruises more relaxing as well... seems like less ports mean less planning for on-shore activities and also more sea days which are wonderful.

I thought about getting off early but I heard that it could be a hassle to coordinate and some cruiselines didn't allow it (something about keeping passenger count accurate). I wouldn't mind looking into that though if it's possible! I just love the idea of ending up in your home port after vacation...

I thought about getting off early but I heard that it could be a hassle to coordinate and some cruiselines didn't allow it (something about keeping passenger count accurate). I wouldn't mind looking into that though if it's possible! I just love the idea of ending up in your home port after vacation...

My point on this is that some cruise lines- our experience on the topic is with Holland America, have repo cruises that have more than one end point. For example, one we did was 15 days FLL to San Diego- you could end your cruise in San Diego, or do 19 days FLL to Seattle, ending your cruise in Seattle. We stayed on to Seattle- 2/3s of the pax got off in San Diego, and the ship was very quiet for the next 4 days. By law, they can't add pax in San Diego, on that cruise.

Searched one of my favorite websites and only found Four

- Oceania May 6 2018 Miami to San Fran. (sold out)

- P&O Jan 9, 2018 London to San Fran

- Cunard Jan 7, 2018 London to San Fran

- Cunard Jan 10, 2019 London to San Fran

Maybe you can also look for back-to-backs to end in San Fran

Searched one of my favorite websites and only found Four

- Oceania May 6 2018 Miami to San Fran. (sold out)

- P&O Jan 9, 2018 London to San Fran

- Cunard Jan 7, 2018 London to San Fran

- Cunard Jan 10, 2019 London to San Fran

Maybe you can also look for back-to-backs to end in San Fran

Not true. It looks like you found segments of World Cruises...another possible solution, although they might be longer than the OP can do. And, Holland America has one ending in SF (Zuiderdam, starting in FLL on April 18, 2018) and several that pass through SF that same month, if the OP wanted to try and get off early. Plus several more that stop in SF April 2019.

I only checked HAL.

There are some repositioning cruises at the beginning and end of the Alaska cruise season. You might find one with a segment that terminates in San Francisco by going to the lines that cruise Alaska and looking at the cruises before and after their first and last Alaska cruises.

A lot of the cruise search tools let you search for the "departs from" port but not the port at the other end. You could search for cruises that depart from San Francisco and then look at the cruise before it.

You can also look at "Ocean Crossings" or "Transpacific" cruises which is usually a pretty short list to go through and check for ones that end in San Francisco.

Hi,

Not sure if this is the place to ask but... I just went on a repositioning cruise recently and LOVED it!! I was wondering if anyone has experience on where to find repositioning cruises. In particular I am looking for one that ends in San Francisco (doesn't matter where it begins!) I did some searches online and seems like the information is inaccurate and there's no search function for end port (only departure port) on most cruise websites.

What are people's thoughts about repositioning cruises in general? yay or nay?

Absolutely yay!! Leaving on the 20th for a repo. Boston-Ft. Lauderdale. We have been on six. Love them!

I'll be trying my first next spring. Windstar from Yokohama, Japan to Seward, AK. Also continuing b2b to Vancouver, BC. 27 days (plus 16 hours due to crossing the dateline). 8 sea days in a row between the last port in Japan and Seward.

And yes, the per night cost is much lower on the Transpacific route than on the Alaska cruise. The 13-day ocean crossing bit more than 1/3 the cost per night of the following 14-day Alaska cruise. Their Transatlantic ocean cruises are priced even lower I guess because this one has 3 port stops in Japan before crossing over the top of the Pacific while their trans-Atlantic cruises spend all 13 or 14 days crossing the ocean. (I wonder if their ships are slower because the big ship lines take about 7 or 8 days to cross from Europe to the Caribbean.)

Edited by new_cruiser