Hand washing on cruise ships

froggy9143

On 10/9/2019 at 8:52 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

Although it is not 100% effective, we always carry a small bottle of Purell when we leave the cabin to be used very often. In particular, just after a trip to the buffet. I assume the serving utensils in the lines were used by those carrying the plague......I probably am not too far off in my assumption!

It can't be too small of a bottle if it takes two people to carry it! 😉.

Sorry, ambiguity is one of my favorite comic exploits.

One Cunard sailing I was on there were some passengers quarantined for Noro, so staff was doing serving at the buffet.  I'd prefer that practice all the time, for germ containment and also to minimize waste. 

• Like 1

I was just off the Grand where they had sinks and soap at each entrance to the buffet. Someone was there telling each person to wash. The only problem was with the sensors. You could wave your hand under the spout and nothing came out or just a dribble. They also went through a lot of paper towels.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 8:38 AM, froggy9143 said:

I always wonder what the aversion is to washing your hands after using the restroom. I just got off of the Coral Princess and evey time I was in a public restroom the others just walked out after flushing and never washed? I do not want to get sick while on a ship I said something to each person as they were leaving the restroom about washing, All I get back was a snide look or in one case and older person then me 50+ said FU? really I just want to stay healthy, I also notice that on the Coral they was no staff person standing at the entrance of the buffet or dining room making sure people use the Purell. On the other ships there is alway someone there, on the Star you can't get past them in the buffet they will not hand you a plate till you wash/rinse with the purell.

Is it just me thats weird about people washing thier hands? Just touching the door handles in the restrooms and the flusher is enough to make anyone want to wash up.

if you do not want to get sick, why are you using a public restroom?  I never do, I always go back to my cabin.

• Like 1

I almost never use the public restroom unless it is a dire emergency.  I always go back to my cabin.  When I use the elevator I use my knuckles to push the button if needed.  I try not to touch the railing on the stairs or other surfaces.  I wash my hands in the cabin with the liquid soap that I brought with me so that I don't have to use the ship's chemicals. 

Probably the worst place is on airplanes where you are shoulder to shoulder with 150+ other passengers from all over the world sneezing and coughing.  The air you breath is recycled on the airplane since the outside air is -32F and lacking in oxygen.  For twenty years I would board planes every week to fly to different parts of the country, meet with my clients and use their computer terminals to set up their computer systems.  I never got sick the entire time.  

Sometimes the germaphobes on here as well as at home are hilarious in the trouble they go to for cleanliness.  Germs etc are all around us 100% of the time so take reasonable precautions and go on with your life. 

• Like 3

On 10/5/2017 at 2:00 AM, johnrich said:

I do not consider myself a germaphobe but always wash my hands before leaving the restroom but get aggravated when they only have the air dryers and not paper towels. First, I think paper towels are more sanitary than the warm air. Second, I like to use a paper towel to grab the handle of the door to open it. If they do have paper towels I always hope they have a trash can near the door.

I have always thought that restroom doors should have automatic openers so I don’t have to touch the door handle after someone just left without washing their hands. My other solution would be to have the restroom doors sit back a bit and then open out instead of in. This way you touch the handle before using the RR and can just push the door open when leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do same as you with the paper towels.  Also have wished for automatic doors.

• Like 1

Princess provides a trash receptacle near the exit of bathrooms for the purpose of using a paper towel to handle the door and then throw it away.

An even bigger area for spread of viruses is the hand rails on stairs. Use the back of your hand if you need to balance just a bit, otherwise wash afterwards.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 3:22 AM, MissP22 said:

As you know, no forces anyone to to to the buffet. It just convenient instead of spending over an hour to have lunch and many times, 1 3/4 hours for dinner.

What is wrong with having a leisurely meal time? There is way too much rushing around.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You can always lead a horse to water.....

Lol but you can't make him wash.....

Honestly, I don't know why some people have such a problem with it.  There is really little excuse for being lazy now, hand washing has become so incredibly easy.  In most places you don't even have to touch anything to wash and dry your hands, everything is motion sensored.

I worked as an admin on a hospital ward for 8 years. During that time we had multiple occasions when patients had norovirus. At no time did I ever suffer from norovirus myself - handwashing really does work. Just keep washing your hands and avoid touching your face and you should be ok. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, long cruiser said:

You can wash your hands 100 times, but when you use the tongs in the buffet you don't no who touched them with out washing their hands.

long cruiser

Most likely the guy I saw leave the toilet outside the buffet without washing his hands and head for the buffet fried shrimp grabbing one with the tongs, dipping it in in the bowl of cocktail sauce and licked his fingers as he pondered what to get next.  

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Most likely the guy I saw leave the toilet outside the buffet without washing his hands and head for the buffet fried shrimp grabbing one with the tongs, dipping it in in the bowl of cocktail sauce and licked his fingers as he pondered what to get next.  

That is just gross.  I wonder were that person was dragged up?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shellgirl61 said:

Washing hands vigorously with hot soapy water is much better to kill germs on your hands, than totally relying on hand sanitizers. Hand sanitizers are anti-bacterial and will not kill viruses.

and remember to sing happy birthday while your washing your hands 😉

• Like 1

On 10/5/2017 at 4:51 PM, floridalover5623 said:

Cold weather = kids are in school.

Definitely less kids means less hands to spread grime around.

Cold weather means more passengers inside and confined in close quarters with recycled air coming from filthy air ducts.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

What scares me more than the buffet and non hand washers is the fly infested BBQ's  that the cruise lines provide on their private islands. The flies have all been in the bathrooms and I assure you they weren't washing their hands.

No, but they always look like they're washing their hands, don't they!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...