Hand washing on cruise ships

froggy9143

We understand others’ perception on the matter and we just practice our own health protection using ship’s facilities like the wash sink at buffet entrance on some ships and Purell dispenser

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is why I avoid touching the door handle when leaving. I’ve noticed many public restrooms have paper towel or tissue dispenser with trash can near the exit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What am I do do after eating my chicken legs or ribs?

Everyone licks their fingers clean.:cool:

Then, you go to the rest room and wash your hands, after all they are greasy and sticky, before you do anything else. The "keep you fingers out of your mouth" was referring to those going through the food line, licking something off their fingers, sneezing into their hand, etc., then continuing to handle serving utensils on the food line. Just ask yourself, how would you want the persons in front of you in the food line to act? Just saying...

I always carry a few paper towels either in a pocket or in my purse, and not just when I am on trips. I never touch rest room door handles, use my knuckles to press elevator buttons , and also carry dollar store individually wrapped wet hand wipes. Even with all of my many precautions, I still caught the noro virus on a two week cruise in 2013, on the last night, and two days later my husband came down with it at home. I think touching menus and serving utensils at the buffet plus hand rails, etc, may be common areas of germ transmission.

This is why I avoid touching the door handle when leaving. I’ve noticed many public restrooms have paper towel or tissue dispenser with trash can near the exit.

No trash can... then the paper goes on the floor.

They learn real fast.

Then, you go to the rest room and wash your hands, after all they are greasy and sticky, before you do anything else. The "keep you fingers out of your mouth" was referring to those going through the food line, licking something off their fingers, sneezing into their hand, etc., then continuing to handle serving utensils on the food line. Just ask yourself, how would you want the persons in front of you in the food line to act? Just saying...

During the meal it's a little hard to keep your finger out of the action.

That's why I always start eating with clean hands. ;)

I'm totally amazed this and related topics are still alive on these boards for at least 13 years. Do you want to be safe:

1. Assume the pax next to you is a pig, everything in the public area could be contaminated and act accordingly.

2. Purell and such gels DO NOTHING AGAINST THE NORO VIRUS. You would have to put your hand into a bucket of the stuff for a solid 20 minutes for any effect.

3. DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR EYE, NOSE OR MOUTH. PERIOD...

4 Wash your hands EVERY TIME you enter your cabin with SOAP AND WARM WATER.

No trash can... then the paper goes on the floor.

They learn real fast.

During the meal it's a little hard to keep your finger out of the action.

That's why I always start eating with clean hands. ;)

I’ve seen that kind of behavior on cruises. Throwing used paper towels on the restroom floor.

So, instead of acting like a total ass and jerk, why don’t PAXs just mention and suggest “need trash cans near paper towel dispensers in restrooms” on a cruise comment card? :rolleyes: It’s more civilized, and adult to do that. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

Instead of being an slob, and acting like an ass, why not just mention and suggest “need trash can near paper towel dispenser in restroom” on a cruise comment card? :rolleyes:

Agreed. The hard-working crew do not need more work created for them. Just carry the paper towel in your pocket till you find a wastebasket. :)

Some people just never see what some kids do that's disgusting.

I once saw a kid about 12 or 13 drop a cookie on the floor & just throw it back onto the tray & take another clean one. I confronted him & he just stared at me like it didn't matter.

I mentioned it to the crew & they dumped the whole tray in the garbage.

We travel when kids are in school... very few if any one board.

I'm totally amazed this and related topics are still alive on these boards for at least 13 years. Do you want to be safe:

1. Assume the pax next to you is a pig, everything in the public area could be contaminated and act accordingly.

2. Purell and such gels DO NOTHING AGAINST THE NORO VIRUS. You would have to put your hand into a bucket of the stuff for a solid 20 minutes for any effect.

3. DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR EYE, NOSE OR MOUTH. PERIOD...

Good points, I wash before and when I come back... works out well.

All good points.

With respect to # 4, it's also worth noting that washing with soap should last for 20 seconds. I have seen people soap their hands, wipe it around and rinse immediately. It is the 'scrubbing' with soap for 20 seconds that increases efficiency....

I'm not sure what you mean by "bulk" candy but I was referring to the stores that use to carry the open bins where you scooped out what you wanted & paid by the weight. I haven't seen that in quite a while.

Yes, that's bulk...you pay by the pound. Exactly.

We do everything wrong.

Touch our faces, don't use sanitizer, do wash up before eating but not with warm soapy water for 20 seconds, use our fingers to eat, go often to the buffet, ride the elevators but use my knuckle.

Never got the Noro but just colds on many trips.

The wife did get food poisoning one time from the buffet.

How did you know it was food poisoning from the buffet? Did a bunch of other people also get food poisoning?

BTW, food poisoning and noro have very similar symptoms. Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, etc....

The one thing that stands out for me in this thread is that the people who do not wash their hands and such, think that as long as they stay healthy all is fine. But what about the other people who might or do get sick because of their dirty hands. What about the child on the cruise who touches a dirty hand rail and gets sick. I guess that doesn't not matter as long as the dirty hand person stays healthy.

I am not pointing any one post or poster, just a general observation in reading this thread.

Growing up I was taught to wash my hands. Do people who don't wash their hands after using a bathroom teach their children not to wash? Maybe they are frighten of soap and water. Yes there are germs everywhere, but why add to it.

Enjoy you cruise ever one.

I'm with you.

I’ve seen that kind of behavior on cruises. Throwing used paper towels on the restroom floor.

So, instead of acting like a total ass and jerk, why don’t PAXs just mention and suggest “need trash cans near paper towel dispensers in restrooms” on a cruise comment card? :rolleyes: It’s more civilized, and adult to do that. :)

btw- All the Princess ships I've been on have a receptacle next to the exit door.

If they're not smart enough to realize one is needed, they'll quickly change their setup to include one.

How did you know it was food poisoning from the buffet? Did a bunch of other people also get food poisoning?

BTW, food poisoning and noro have very similar symptoms. Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, etc....

My wife hadn't actually eaten anything except for breakfast at home (coffee & toast that morning). Her first meal was at the buffet that afternoon so it had to be food poisoning because Noro doesn't last 18-24 hours without any medication.

We went to medical & they wouldn't tell us if others had the same symptoms. They did quarantine my wife to the cabin for 24 hours. That's the last time we report anything unless it gets much worse.

My wife hadn't actually eaten anything except for breakfast at home (coffee & toast that morning). Her first meal was at the buffet that afternoon so it had to be food poisoning because Noro doesn't last 18-24 hours without any medication.

We went to medical & they wouldn't tell us if others had the same symptoms. They did quarantine my wife to the cabin for 24 hours. That's the last time we report anything unless it gets much worse.

Noro does last 18-24 hours without medication. My DH had it on one of our cruises. Honestly I think he got it from the market in Tahiti after eating lunch there...so Noro or food poisoning? Feces in food is how you get noro...I call that poison. He was confined to his cabin for 48 hours and was not given any medication.

To your last point about not reporting it.....I guess others felt that same way on that cruise because the end result was over 400 passengers and about 185 crew who had the Noro Virus. It spread like wildfire because people didn't want to be confined to their cabins so they didn't report it.

We were delayed getting off the ship because the CDC had to come on and inspect.

Food Poisoning is basicly bacteria based from food not kept at correct temperature or for to long.

Noro is a virus that can contaminate any hard surface for over 48 hours by a filthy disgusting person, PERIOD.

THEY HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON OTHER THAN THE SYMPTOMS THEY CAUSE.

Noro does last 18-24 hours without medication. My DH had it on one of our cruises. Honestly I think he got it from the market in Tahiti after eating lunch there...so Noro or food poisoning? Feces in food is how you get noro...I call that poison. He was confined to his cabin for 48 hours and was not given any medication.

To your last point about not reporting it.....I guess others felt that same way on that cruise because the end result was over 400 passengers and about 185 crew who had the Noro Virus. It spread like wildfire because people didn't want to be confined to their cabins so they didn't report it.

We were delayed getting off the ship because the CDC had to come on and inspect.

I agree with you about those kind of PAXs who do not want to report their G.I. issues to the ship’s medical staff because they don’t want to be confined to their cabin for 24-48 hours. Like, they don’t want to be “inconvenienced”. To me, that says a lot about those kind of PAXs with a “me first” attitude, self-centered selfishness, and general irresponsible bad behavior at the expense of others on the ship. :mad::mad: No doubt those kind of PAXs help spread Noro Virus.

Enjoy your next cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Food Poisoning is basicly bacteria based from food not kept at correct temperature or for to long.

Noro is a virus that can contaminate any hard surface for over 48 hours by a filthy disgusting person, PERIOD.

THEY HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON OTHER THAN THE SYMPTOMS THEY CAUSE.

Nope....

How is norovirus transmitted?

Norovirus causes nearly 60% of all foodborne illness outbreaks. [31] Norovirus is transmitted primarily through the fecal-oral route, with fewer than 100 norovirus particles needed to cause infection. [10, 15, 33] Transmission occurs either person-to-person or through contamination of food or water. [1, 15, 33] CDC statistics show that food is the most common vehicle of transmission for noroviruses; of 232 outbreaks of norovirus between July 1997 and June 2000, 57% were foodborne, 16% were spread from person-to-person, and 3% were waterborne. [6, 31] When food is the vehicle of transmission, contamination occurs most often through a food handler improperly handling a food directly before it is eaten. [4, 9, 10]

I agree with you about those kind of PAXs who do not want to report their G.I. issues to the ship’s medical staff because they don’t want to be confined to their cabin for 24-48 hours. Like, they don’t want to be “inconvenienced”. To me, that says a lot about those kind of PAXs with a “me first” attitude, self-centered selfishness, and general irresponsible bad behavior at the expense of others on the ship. :mad::mad: No doubt those kind of PAXs help spread Noro Virus.

Enjoy your next cruise.

Exactly!!