Hand washing on cruise ships

froggy9143

Don't be so harsh. I carry the individual hand sanitizers in my purse and use those. If I left my bag with hubby I'll use it when I meet him outside the washroom. Therefore, you don't always see me washing my hands.

I am not being harsh, just giving you info.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/preventing-infection.html

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html

I have one question for you. When you leave the rest room with out washing your hands, do you touch the door? If not great. If so, what about the next person giong out the door?

Don't be so harsh. I carry the individual hand sanitizers in my purse and use those. If I left my bag with hubby I'll use it when I meet him outside the washroom. Therefore, you don't always see me washing my hands.

While hand sanitizes are better than nothing, they accomplish very little.

Anything "on" your hands stays there. It may move it around, but it's still there.

A good glob of the stuff will kill MOST common bacteria.

As far as virus, ZERO. 100% alcohol will do the job SOAKING 5-15 minutes. The weak sanitizer does nothing.

20 seconds straight bleach would work but would destroy your skin.

Wash your hands or stay off my ship

I can't see why people can't just do both? Wash with soap and water and then sanitise when entering the eating areas. On the rare occasions I've had to sanitise rather than wash at outdoor events I've never felt clean. Whatever was on your hands still is, albeit with a fluid to make it less infectious, but it's still there for heavens sake. Just wash!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

When outside (like Princess Cays) yes, I can agree on using the sanitizer since not much else is available.

On the ship I never use it. It cracks my skin & I just resort to washing.

Never had problems.

If they force it upon me, I'll take it & flip it off on the floor as soon as possible & wipe my hand on my pants.

Here in Florida the bulk candy & self serve salad bars have disappeared in all the supermarkets we go to. (Although Winn Dixie still has a few items still available.)

Fresh Market, Whole Foods and Publix all have the self serve salad and food bars in both Naples and Miami. Fresh market also still has the bulk candy,

I am not being harsh, just giving you info.

https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/preventing-infection.html

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html

I have one question for you. When you leave the rest room with out washing your hands, do you touch the door? If not great. If so, what about the next person giong out the door?

If I've left my purse with hubby I pushed the door with elbow or shoulder. Like I said don't be so harsh.

When outside (like Princess Cays) yes, I can agree on using the sanitizer since not much else is available.

On the ship I never use it. It cracks my skin & I just resort to washing.

Never had problems.

If they force it upon me, I'll take it & flip it off on the floor as soon as possible & wipe my hand on my pants.

Why? While it might not help, it's not going to hurt. It may cause the floor to be slippery.

Fresh Market, Whole Foods and Publix all have the self serve salad and food bars in both Naples and Miami. Fresh market also still has the bulk candy,

Not sure about the other two, but our Publix near us in St. Augustine doesn't have a self serve salad bar, but as mentioned earlier, we do have the bulk candy bins that you buy by the pound, but each is individually wrapped.

Funny how they have different things in the various places.

Hardly something to boast about when you're putting the rest of us at risk...

If I'm not at risk how does it put you at risk? And I've never gotten sick because I'm extra cautious about keeping my hands clean before eating. I just really dislike the residue & having my skin crack after using the sanitizer every time I turn around.

Explain that one.

Hardly something to boast about when you're putting the rest of us at risk...

There will always be those kind of people (PAX) who are rude and obnoxious in actions and behaviors, and not considerate of others. It’s those kind of people (PAX) that that have a “me first” attitude, at the expense and sometimes the health and safety of others.

Enjoy your next cruise, and stay healthy. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

If I'm not at risk how does it put you at risk? And I've never gotten sick because I'm extra cautious about keeping my hands clean before eating. I just really dislike the residue & having my skin crack after using the sanitizer every time I turn around.

Explain that one.

You may not have got sick yourself but that doesn't mean that others haven't due to being exposed to things that don't make you ill that you can still pass on. Staphylococcus for intance.

• Haha 1

There will always be those kind of people (PAX) who are rude and obnoxious in actions and behaviors, and not considerate of others. It’s those kind of people (PAX) that that have a “me first” attitude, at the expense and sometimes the health and safety of others.

Enjoy your next cruise, and stay healthy. :)

Yea, I know what you mean. There are a lot of sickies on every ship you have to avoid.

You may not have got sick yourself but that doesn't mean that others haven't due to being exposed to things that don't make you ill that you can still pass on. Staphylococcus for intance.

The simple solution is not to eat at the buffet or choose a table in the DR for 2 by yourself so you don't have to sit near anyone who might have some germs.

• Thanks 1

One thing I do is always drink thru a straw rather than touching lips to glass. Also use hand wipes on back of chair and table before eating. And we use hand cleanser after menus or condiments.we carry both wipes and liquid cleanser. We also Lysol cabin first thing then go for lunch before unpacking.

• Thanks 1

I am in my cruise planner and planning my next adventure. I am looking for the Gladys Kravits excursion where one hangs out in the men's room monitoring hand washing techniques on vacation. Sounds like the highlight of my cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing I do is always drink thru a straw rather than touching lips to glass. Also use hand wipes on back of chair and table before eating. And we use hand cleanser after menus or condiments.we carry both wipes and liquid cleanser. We also Lysol cabin first thing then go for lunch before unpacking.

And how about disinfecting all your silverware, napkin (before you touch it), and even the food :). And do you wipe down every chair, railing, menu, elevator, stair rail, deck chair, etc. There is a point that some common sense precautions become OCD. I cannot even conceive of what is accomplished by using a straw. If the glass has been properly cleaned, the entire glass is clean. If it is somehow contaminated, the liquid you drink would be contaminated and go right through your straw...in which case your straw would now be contaminated.

Hank

• Like 1

On our recent Caribbean Princess cruise, I was disappointed to see the new hand-washing stations at the buffet instead of a crew member with a bottle of Purell. DH and I were the only ones I ever saw using the sinks, on a 12-day cruise. Halfway through, we switched to in-room dining.

I raised the issue in our post-cruise survey.

The new sinks are a total waste! We were on the CB for 27 days, and I don't know why there wasn't a huge noro outbreak. People consistently walked past the sinks and went right into the buffet, and there was no crew member standing there to remind people to wash as I've seen on the Regal and Royal.

Also, the sink area was always wet and sloppy with very little attention from the staff. The sinks have built in soap dispensers, but they must be broken already because there were bottles of sloppy soap on the counter.

I wish they'd put the Purell stands by the bufffet in addition to the sinks because I think people are more likely to use them.

I've always wondered when/if the staff cleans the menus in the MDR. My guess is "no".

I carry a small hand sanitizer bottle when on board and after we finish with the menu, we clean our hands with it. You never know where that menu has been.:cool:

I read a study of the germiest places in public. Restaurant menus were near the top of the list! They said that no one ever cleans them.

The new sinks are a total waste! We were on the CB for 27 days, and I don't know why there wasn't a huge noro outbreak. People consistently walked past the sinks and went right into the buffet, and there was no crew member standing there to remind people to wash as I've seen on the Regal and Royal.

Even on the Royal, they point to the sink and some people just walk right by them & point to the hand sanitizer.....which they also pass by.

I don’t think it is good to not wash your hands. Personally I do, I also usually carry my own hand sanitizer because I am allergic to a lot of lotions and stuff the put in some sanitizers and the smells are awful. But I do not believe you should be rude and saying something to other passengers. If you do not like it then as others have started they do not use public bathrooms you shouldn’t either. It’s very rude to say something to people you do not know. That’s what’s wrong with so many people now, they do not mind their own business and they let what others do drive them crazy.

There is a country song call biscuits and gravy and it says “mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy” this is so true and more people should practice it, just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums