Hand washing on cruise ships

froggy9143

Don't be so harsh. I carry the individual hand sanitizers in my purse and use those. If I left my bag with hubby I'll use it when I meet him outside the washroom. Therefore, you don't always see me washing my hands.

Hand sanitizer does not replace hand washing and does absolutely nothing to prevent the Noro virus. Stop making excuses and wash your hands after using the rest room!

• Like 1

One thing I do is always drink thru a straw rather than touching lips to glass. Also use hand wipes on back of chair and table before eating. And we use hand cleanser after menus or condiments.we carry both wipes and liquid cleanser. We also Lysol cabin first thing then go for lunch before unpacking.

Have you considered living in a plastic bubble? ;)

• Like 1

Folks who don't wash their hands is one of the reasons we prefer cruising on ships that do not allow passengers to self-serve "buffet" foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Right.

We usually cruise Princess but this summer we cruised on HAL for the first time. I liked that they served the passengers in the buffet instead of each passenger handling the utensils.

When I was on the Grand last, they had just installed a hand washing station in the buffet. We were shocked to notice most of the passengers just completely bypassed it instead of waiting their turn to wash. Maybe I should use a throw away serving glove on one hand as I go through the line..:(

• Thanks 1

One thing I do is always drink thru a straw rather than touching lips to glass. Also use hand wipes on back of chair and table before eating. And we use hand cleanser after menus or condiments.we carry both wipes and liquid cleanser. We also Lysol cabin first thing then go for lunch before unpacking.

Ditto!

Except for the straw part.....kind of affects the taste of my red wine!

• Haha 1

I understand the concept that if you see someone walk out of a bathroom without washing, you've caught them.

I don't really see walking by the washing stations at the buffet or DR or whatever quite the same way.

How do you know what they last did? Maybe the last thing they did before arriving was wash their hands.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Guess I am the only one doing the acrobatics with the flushing then using paper to open the door, then stretching to get the towel to turn the water on with my elbow then taking another towel to open the main door.I’m checking the roll calls for ya’ll.

Guess I am the only one doing the acrobatics with the flushing then using paper to open the door, then stretching to get the towel to turn the water on with my elbow then taking another towel to open the main door.I’m checking the roll calls for ya’ll.
I'll follow you around as mid afternoon entertainment.
  • Haha 1

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2651&et_cid=3008271&et_rid

7. People Who Don't Wash Their Hands

With Norovirus threatening to ruin anyone's cruise, we cringe every time we see people walk right by the hand sanitizer stations or leave the loo without washing their hands. Don't you practice good hygiene at home?!

Find your Zen: Stalk those folks and then get into whatever buffet line they're not. And make sure you wash your hands frequently. If all else fails, avoid the buffet.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2651&et_cid=3008271&et_rid

7. People Who Don't Wash Their Hands

With Norovirus threatening to ruin anyone's cruise, we cringe every time we see people walk right by the hand sanitizer stations or leave the loo without washing their hands. Don't you practice good hygiene at home?!

Find your Zen: Stalk those folks and then get into whatever buffet line they're not. And make sure you wash your hands frequently. If all else fails, avoid the buffet.

It gave me quite a laugh when I read that one.

Spending your time on the ship looking out for the offenders. :D:D

What about the ones you don't see? :eek:

• 1 year later...

On the Crown now.   Observed many filthy PAXs ignoring the hand sanitizer stations at the entrance to the Horizon Court buffet.

Today, I heard a PAX complaining about the glass sneeze barriers  over the the food, complaining that they were an I convenience to her reaching the food.

Many PAXs on here heard and seen coughing.  Filthy PAXs coughing without covering their mouths, or coughing into their hands instead of into the crook of their elbow.  Then handling the serving utensils or food like fruits.  😡

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

On the Crown now.   Observed many filthy PAXs ignoring the hand sanitizer stations at the entrance to the Horizon Court buffet.

I ignore them because I wash my hands for real before I go in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Today, I heard a PAX complaining about the glass sneeze barriers  over the the food, complaining that they were an I convenience to her reaching the food.

Many PAXs on here heard and seen coughing.  Filthy PAXs coughing without covering their mouths, or coughing into their hands instead of into the crook of their elbow.  Then handling the serving utensils or food like fruits.  😡

1 hour ago, froggy9143 said:

It is so easy to wash your hands, I can't understand why some people refuse.🤮

I completely agree that people should be washing their hands prior to eating at the buffet.  Sometimes, there is a need to walk through the buffet to get elsewhere on the ship or perhaps get a napkin  (touch it, it's yours).  Judgement should be delayed until the offender grabs a plate.

2 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Thanks for the reminder on why I don't do the buffets.  GROSS

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mears Family said:

I completely agree that people should be washing their hands prior to eating at the buffet.  Sometimes, there is a need to walk through the buffet to get elsewhere on the ship or perhaps get a napkin  (touch it, it's yours).  Judgement should be delayed until the offender grabs a plate.

Count me as someone who won't wash their hands until I decide I even want to eat at the buffet.  If I see something worth while, I will go wash them, but for the most part I avoid buffets because of things like what was mentioned about the Crown buffet and I don't want to over dry my hands with the wash and sanitizer.

• Haha 1

As someone who has worked in laboratories all my working life, I am fastidious about washing my hands. hot water and soap are best and wash for 30 seconds. It is the drying action of the sanitizer that kills the bacteria as it breaks down the cell walls.

On most ships i have been on public toilets generally have the outside toilet doors wedged open so that you don't have to open the door yourself or else I will use a paper towel. Anyone who doesn't wash their hands has no respect for anyone else's health or their own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My husband often tells me that men very rarely ever wash their hands after using the public restrooms. That is so crazy to me! And NASTY! What the heck??!!!  I can't remember the last time that I have seen a woman NOT wash their hands after using the restroom. 

61 cruises and knock on wood we have never had the Norovirus but on 4 out of our last 6 cruises we have come back with nasty colds . I too have seen many people not using the hand sanitizers or washing their hands after using the restroom. I guess it's either something we have to put up with or stop cruising, I do a lot of tooth grinding when I see so many people not adhering to the various rules while on a cruise. 

o

On 10/4/2017 at 11:08 PM, Times Prince said:

I was pleasantly surprised on Royal Princess to not only see the handwashing stations, but to see the crew member enforcing that people use them.

While Purell is nice, all medical personnel agree that hand washing is much, much more effective.

Interesting thread to read.  I worked in public health for over 30 years so look for handwashing at the buffet.  We were on the Island Princess for 2 weeks in July and I really like the hand sinks they installed that are open to the hallway.  They always had a staff person asking for handwashing or sanitizer.  The sanitizer dispenser was always front and center in the doorway.  I thought there was pretty good compliance from passengers.

Fast forward to a 3 day cruise on the Royal Princess in September.  We'd never been on the Royal before, the hand sinks were behind a wall, no attendant to remind people to wash or sanitizer and the sanitizer dispenser was about 5 feet past the doorway against the wall.  Very poor compliance with hand washing or using sanitizer at the buffet entrances on that ship. 

I actually went to guest services to ask about their protocols because it was so different from other Princess ships we'd been on.  They told me to talk to the maitre'd and I did take the time to go to his office but got an assistant instead.  He gave me the "we'll take care of it ma'am response"  Nothing changed for the rest of the cruise.

I did mention the concern on the after cruise survey and am also in the process of sharing my concerns with the CDC.  I've seen such good handwashing oversight on the cruise lines we've sailed on so it was a surprise to me to see the lack of focus on the Royal Princess.

Another note, my practice is to wash or sanitize at the entrance to the buffet even though I may have just done it because I am aware that others are  concerned about getting sick and didn't see me wash my hands so it's a small thing for me to do.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shealea said:

My husband often tells me that men very rarely ever wash their hands after using the public restrooms. That is so crazy to me! And NASTY! What the heck??!!!  I can't remember the last time that I have seen a woman NOT wash their hands after using the restroom. 

We've just completed a 35 night cruise on Sea and DH said he often saw men leaving the restroom without washing their hands but I never saw any women leave without washing.

However the ship was full of people coughing and sneezing into their hands or not covering their mouths at all. It was quite disgusting. Somehow I avoided coming down with the cough but DH came down with it shortly after having someone sitting next to him who was coughing badly without covering their mouth.