cruising with Atrial Fibrilation

kevboy

Hi, Can anyone advise? I have just been diagnosed with a heart condition called Atrial Fibrilation. My GP has prescribed medication treatment and says it will be ok to travel on our forthcoming cruise.( Arcadia November) I assume that I must now inform my travel insurers and just wondering if the expected increase in premium will be very expensive. Any other AF cruisers on the forum and should I cancel my trip?

regards kevin

Hi, Can anyone advise? I have just been diagnosed with a heart condition called Atrial Fibrilation. My GP has prescribed medication treatment and says it will be ok to travel on our forthcoming cruise.( Arcadia November) I assume that I must now inform my travel insurers and just wondering if the expected increase in premium will be very expensive. Any other AF cruisers on the forum and should I cancel my trip?

regards kevin

Hi Kevin,

Not sure if this helps or not, however, my Husband suffers from Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrilation.

Thankfully, he’s not had an episode whilst on a cruise & we’ve done a few since he’s been diagnosed.

If your GP says it’s OK to travel then I wouldn’t be too concerned & would say go ahead & enjoy your holiday.

Our insurance company are aware, so I’d definitely declare it. I believe we paid a slight premium for it but nothing excessive.

Best wishes whatever you decide.

Joan

hi

i too have atrial fibrilation. have had it for a few years now, also i had a heart attack nearly 3 years ago. i am on medication.we went on our first cruise jan2016, and we are going to the caribbean 15 december this year. i am insured with WORLD FIRST. i declared all to them and our insurance including my hubby too was £645. but i would not go without it. hope this helps and it does not put you off going. there is alot of people with this condition. BON VOYAGE!!!!! lynn

I had persistent AF for about 6 months and was treated with cardioversion. I informed by insurance pretty soon after diagnosis and although the premium increased the important thing was that they were prepared to cover the condition. If they attempt to exclude that condition from your cover then I would cancel and go elsewhere. There are lots of insurance companies that will offer full cover for AF.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I too was diagnosed with AF earlier this year. I advised our insurer(NatWest) and they were happy to cover me for our cruise on Britannia a couple of months later. They then imposed a loading of £100 to cover any holidays taken in the forthcoming year. After that I need to advise them of any holidays we book in the future. It all seems very straightforward so as long as you let them know what holidays you are going on you should be OK.

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry.

I suffer from Paroxysmal AF. I had an episode on board Arcadia a few years back. The treatment that I got on board was excellent. I was taken to the medical centre at 1am and almost immediately, the senior doctor was with me. I had various tests, ecg, bloods etc and was give an anticoagulant injection. The treatment didn’t stop the AF. I was kept in the medical centre overnight and my heart flipped back to a normal rhythm at about 8am. I was released at about 9.30am, but strongly advised not to Go ashore that day. I had to return for another ecg that afternoon. The treatment that I received was far better than I have received in my local A@E and I felt safer and more confident that I was going to be Ok.

As for travel insurance, They paid the claim with no problems, the bill was about £1200. I always cover it and the additional premium is not a vast amount.

One thing I find, is that certain things will trigger an attack. In my case alcohol (haven’t had a drink for 4 years), too much sweet food, decongestants, certain antibiotics, stress. It helps if you can identify triggers and avoid them to keep it controlled.

Get AF covered on your insurance and go and enjoy your cruise.

Val

Hi everyone and many thanks for your replies which were very helpful. unfortunately, my travel insurance company ( holiday safe) have declined to cover my AF due to very recent diagnosis and continuing investigation to try and find any cause. I have shopped around but alas all insurers decline cover pending final outcome of investigations. I have been told that I can travel without AF cover but under the circumstances that would be such a stupid thing to do. I have no choice but to cancel my Arcadia November Cruise and hope that my insurers pay out. See you next year hopefully. kevin

Kevin, so sorry to hear that you have had to cancel your cruise, but health comes first. Tests may or may not prove a cause, in my case it was concluded that erithromyocin ( anti biotic) damaged the electricals in my heart. All other tests were fine.

Next year, with a firm diagnosis you should be able to get the insurance.

We too have had to cancel a cruise this year for other health reasons relating to my husband, so know how you must be feeling.

Here’s to a good cruise next year.

Val

regards kevin

Any new medical diagnosis you must report to your insurance company because if you have to make a claim they can access your medical records and wriggle out of paying you if they find you haven't notified them.

We took my wifes mam on 6 cruises the last on her 90th birthday and she had a lot of medical complaints reported to her insurer but doctor gave her the ok and she had medication for all her complaints.

Hi everyone and many thanks for your replies which were very helpful. unfortunately, my travel insurance company ( holiday safe) have declined to cover my AF due to very recent diagnosis and continuing investigation to try and find any cause. I have shopped around but alas all insurers decline cover pending final outcome of investigations. I have been told that I can travel without AF cover but under the circumstances that would be such a stupid thing to do. I have no choice but to cancel my Arcadia November Cruise and hope that my insurers pay out. See you next year hopefully. kevin

Age UK was who we insured my wifes mam with and we had no problems getting the insurance for her.

You must be gutted if you miss your cruise but health comes first,hope things work out for you.

So sorry to hear that you have been forced to cancel. My wife and I had to cancel a cruise earlier this year due to treatment following a cancer diagnosis. I understand how disappointing it will be but hope that the thought of being able to book another cruise following treatment will be some comfort to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any new medical diagnosis you must report to your insurance company because if you have to make a claim they can access your medical records and wriggle out of paying you if they find you haven't notified them.

We took my wifes mam on 6 cruises the last on her 90th birthday and she had a lot of medical complaints reported to her insurer but doctor gave her the ok and she had medication for all her complaints.

My wifes mam cruised from 1992-2012 when she was 90 with AF and other conditions and getting insurance was no problem.