Periscoping LIVE from Harmony - October 7, 2017!

pharaoh

Well, assuming there is still a ship left after the 4-Headed Monster gets done with it, I will be boarding Harmony in THREE DAYS! There better still be guac left for me! And highlighters! (Let's be real, I never win Trivia [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30])

I booked this trip with my mom, Cami, in May of 2016 when we were on Allure for my Birthdaycation, so this trip has been a long time coming, and I am READY. I was counting down the minutes at work today. Every hour that I stayed instead of running out early felt like a personal victory. [emoji322]

These cruises with my mom have become an annual tradition. We travel with Dialysis at Sea so she can get her treatments while we're on vacation, and we've now had two great experiences with them. Feel free to ask any questions about it if you're curious!

Here are your humble thread hosts:

e0b4c31fa5c002b26cecdc69e4ecd699.jpg

or more naturally:

ee756b13045ef4269d0c74b21faabd8c.jpg

Like my previous cruise (link to the live thread in my signature), I'll be Periscoping from this cruise! It was lots of fun last time. Feel free to follow along: http://periscope.tv/celisse. I tend to broadcast early-ish in the morning, and night time activities/game shows!

I'm addicted to social media so I will also be posting Instagram stories (http://instagram.com/cleeez), and I will be posting here every so often as well! Suggestions of things you want to see on Periscope or Instagram are welcome!

More to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This cruise has been a rollercoaster and it hasn't even begun. Our original itinerary was supposed to go to Labadee, St. Maarten, and San Juan. Well, we all know how that turned out. So now we are headed to Nassau, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. But apparently there's a potential tropical storm brewing in the gulf, so our plans may still be up in the air?!

tenor.gif

Just get me on the ship on time, please! I have three extra vacation days JUST IN CASE.

Oh what a season it's been this summer! We were supposed to be on Oasis, that shot shortened so we transferred to Harmony the following week. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Will keep my ears out for the Periscope whistle when you're on board! (@KathluvsGH)

Anyway, tomorrow we’re driving down to Fort Lauderdale from Orlando, to spend two nights at the Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort. I LOOOOVE that hotel. LOVE IT. It is pricey and it is not near the port, but if you look really far, you can see the ships coming in to Port Everglades! [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

45c2f09f9458aee31c1655205f634eb1.jpg

Oh what a season it's been this summer! We were supposed to be on Oasis, that shot shortened so we transferred to Harmony the following week. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Will keep my ears out for the Periscope whistle when you're on board! (@KathluvsGH)

Crossed fingers are appreciated! This season has been a mess and I am DONE and ready to be on vacation!

Thank you all for following along!

It’s Thursday morning, I am FINALLY packed, got my vacation nails done, and after my mom gets back from her dialysis, we will be READY [emoji1376] TO [emoji1376] GO[emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376]

Also it is not even noon on my first day of vacay, and I already got a text from work.

95689d68db4d928ed61413e006e3e28d.gif

In a few hours I will have a margarita in hand, I do not want to hear about any work issues! Figure it out yourselves! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I finally made it to the Margaritaville! We left Orlando today around 3pm, and drove four hours through terrible rain, but we made it!

It was already dark when we got here, but the moon was peeking through the clouds and shining on the beach when we finally got to our room. I miss Hollywood Beach so much! One of my favorite beaches by far.

4f80675aa1650ec433758b29bc747f87.jpg

8df655653782c1b32950c9b94cfdeabc.jpg

The Margaritaville lobby is one of my favorite hotel lobbies. I especially love the Margarita glass chandelier, and these cute little cabana style lounge areas.

9ec7fe56040276c78fb86fbb2362b8d9.jpg

dfa5edaba73e736d260658cf31bf79cd.jpg

Following along, will be on the Harmony the 21st of this month.

Awesome! Thanks for following along and let me know if you have any questions you’d like me to find out. [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

We are HERE!!!!! I’ve already noticed some improvements regarding the boarding process.

My mom rents a scooter on board, and needs wheelchair assistance getting on the ship. When we have done this in the past, a pier agent has had to push my mom in the wheelchair onto the ship and then we have to wait for the rooms to open before we can get the scooter and get to exploring.

This time, the pier agent got us through security and check in, and then took us to an area of the terminal where they had the scooter waiting for us. This was awesome because my mom was able to take herself up the ramp and we were ready to get going as soon as we got on the ship. So much easier for those who need assistance!

We got to the port around 11 and were on board by 11:30. Now we’re sitting outside the solarium bistro with some frozen drinks YAAASSSS!

8ebdf7947d60b4200574b343a1e54bf7.jpg

I am loving the view from my room tonight. We have an accessible boardwalk balcony. First time not having a standard ocean view. We are LOVING all of the extra space for the scooter and overlooking the boardwalk is great for people watching.

Seriously, we might be forever spoiled.

5f3e0210ce372a6a0accc457f8909179.gif

cf58cf638545a9f4b22e872dc22236ae.jpg

Sadly today we missed sail away because we were hunting for the orientation meeting for Dialysis at Sea. BUMMER. I ALWAYS miss sail away [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji23][emoji23][emoji24]

We saw Grease and it was alright.

Tomorrow we’re in Nassau. Someone told me today that they heard someone else at the spa say that we might not be going to Cozumel because of Hurricane Nate. I think that’s just hearsay but I’m not buying any excursions just in case. [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]

Following along. We have an accessibly ocean view balcony on Harmony next year. Love seeing your room. Makes me feel better about room for the wheelchair!

You will have plenty of room for the wheelchair and MORE. My mom and I have done two other cruises in regular ocean view balcony rooms, and if we can even get the scooter in the room, we end up having to shove suitcases under the bed (if they fit), and last time we had to put the coffee table out on the balcony (at the suggestion of the room attendant).

In this room we have plenty of room for the scooter, and enough room to put the suitcases in a corner out of the way. There is plenty of room on the balcony for a wheelchair or scooter and a ramp to get on and off the balcony. You’ll love it. [emoji847]

Following we will be on harmony in december. Thank you for posting. I love your photos. Have a great cruise. :)

Thank you! I have been working on my “Instagram aesthetic” [emoji849] so have been trying to take better photos lol. You’ll love Harmony!

I took my mom to dialysis at the crack of 5:45am, so then had the opportunity to roam around as we approached Nassau.

a0e909844fc908d4709ac7eb273224b0.jpg

b04df5d72fb92a132f453ebb857d4d3a.jpg

6cae371305d46100c1dd81f3c7434fdf.jpg

49461202f46816dda6384ba3cd237269.jpg

334684dcb8638559bce5321d3358211b.jpg

I did a little sunrise periscope which ended up being a quick walking tour from the aquatheater to the bridge wing.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bKi5WDkyNzE5MTV8MWpNS2dQa01MdlhHTPNyKKo5976114oCQY3sORbDIwHekKsnEdtVCft8UdlC

Pharoah

I am so in to your thread.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Questions

1. is your mom on HEMO- Dialysis or peritoneal?

2. How long prior to your cruise did you have to arrange her care?

3. What are the qualifications of the person helping her and did you need to pay prior to cruising.?

4. Because of her needs, did they make you pay more for your cabin, or is it the going rate?

I appreciate you taking the time to share with us.

Safe travels.

Hola Lionesss! Happy to answer your questions.

1. She’s on hemodialysis.

2. We booked through Dialysis at Sea, which is a travel agency that arranges with Royal to borrow their medical facility space to host dialysis patients throughout the week. DaS works with the major clinics (ie Davita, Fresnius, etc) to bring a nephrologist and a handful of nurses and techs on board to facilitate the dialysis. There are usually no more than 5-8 patients on each of the three cruises we’ve done.

3. All of the nurses and techs are all licensed and certified and trained. My mom has a very tricky fistula and they have taken good care of her on all of our cruises. You don’t pay at the time of the treatment, since DaS is the travel agent, they collect the money for the cruise and the treatments and you pay in advance, just like a regular travel agent.

4. This is a tricky question. For one, yes, we pay A LOT more for a cruise than most people in a comparable category because of the dialysis. Typically the price for us has been between $3-4,000 on top of the normal cruise price. As for the price of the cabin, I usually see the same cabins for less money than what DAS charges on the RCI website but have not gotten a straight answer as to why that is. Unfortunately, they’re the only guys in town that do this kind of work, so we suck it up and pay the price for the luxury of being able to travel together. 🤷🏼*♀️

FYI I have read that some people are able to get the cost of the dialysis covered by their insurance. We haven’t had luck with that.

Through Dialysis at Sea, do you have to pick from a few select dates for cruises, or do you have a lot of options?

My FIL is on dialysis, and has only ever had it done at a different site one time in 14 years, so it may be moot... but I think that a cruise would be the perfect vacation because he can easily go to the cabin and rest vs a "traditional" vacation of spending a lot of time outside of a hotel with no real place to rest.