Cruise Critic Community
Randyk47

New Trusted Traveler Program Website

We have Global Entry and on our last cruise into FLL we also used mobile passport more out of curiosity. We ended up using the Mobile Passport as immigration was a zoo and the Global entry line was at the far end of the hall and the mobile passport line was right there as you got off the escalator and took us all of 5 minutes to make it through. We will probably do the same for our upcoming New Years cruise as it’s always good to have options

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only problem with this is that some of us have to travel (in our case 200 miles) to get the Global Entry.

Funny thing for me the reverse was truth. At the time there was a Gloval Entry Office at the airport just nine miles away but the closest PreCheck interview office was 100 miles away. Back then I really was looking for PreCheck as Mrs K had it through her being a DoD employee and I wanted it for domestic travel. Global Entry is $100 while PreCheck is only $85 but I figured I’d spend as much if not more than the $15 in gas so went the Global Entry route which includes PreCheck. Concurrently we started a bunch of International travel so Mrs K opted for Global Entry and we’ve loved having it.

My Global Entry expires in June of 2018. I visited the new website and navigated through the log-in procedure.

On Thursday, Dec. 21st, I updated my personal information, paid the fee and submitted the renewal application.

I received an e-mail this evening that the renewal was approved without an interview. No further action was required. A 5 day turnaround including the weekend and Christmas Day.

Impressive!

B

My Global Entry expires in June of 2018. I visited the new website and navigated through the log-in procedure.

On Thursday, Dec. 21st, I updated my personal information, paid the fee and submitted the renewal application.

I received an e-mail this evening that the renewal was approved without an interview. No further action was required. A 5 day turnaround including the weekend and Christmas Day.

Impressive!

B

Nice to know that you don't need another interview for renewals. Of course, it really wasn't much of an interview - all they really wanted was a picture and your fingerprints.

Thanks to posts like this I created the new user name/password on the new site and answered the questions it had and it was an easy process. This way we can use the new site when our current passwords expire before our Global Entry card expiration to update the information and to eventually renew the cards.

Keith

Nice to know that you don't need another interview for renewals. Of course, it really wasn't much of an interview - all they really wanted was a picture and your fingerprints.

Both my husband and I had to attend another interview to renew. My experience was completely the opposite than his. He was basically in and out with nice officers both times while I got the third degree from nasty officers both times. Hopefully third time lucky.

You didn't have an iris scan?

You didn't have an iris scan?

Apparently at this time an iris scan is only required for the NEXUS program.

Both my husband and I had to attend another interview to renew. My experience was completely the opposite than his. He was basically in and out with nice officers both times while I got the third degree from nasty officers both times. Hopefully third time lucky.

I must have been very fortunate to renew without an interview.

My concern was that it would take several weeks to process the renewal application and several months to schedule the interview. I didn't want to risk having a lapse.

All is well! I hope the process is as simple in 5 1/2 years, but I'm sure technology will have changed by then.

B

Interesting. How do the kiosks verify it is you without one, I wonder?

If you don't mind saying where was your interview? I am anxiously awaiting the email that allows you to make the interview appointment. My luck would be like yours I'm afraid.

And I understand the tired feeling today....after days of cooking, cleaning, and getting everything ready for Christmas.

No, the TSA Pre-Chek feature of the Trusted Traveler Program also applies to domestic flights. And your TTP card will be accepted as ID in all US airports (in addition, of course, to your US Passport and most State-issued driver's licenses).

Smooth sailing (and flying) :ship: :ship: :ship:

Too much trouble gegtting to the airport for an interview to botther. NObig deal, iI'll stand in line if I must to c lear en try back to U.s. It is worth it.

No, the TSA Pre-Chek feature of the Trusted Traveler Program also applies to domestic flights. And your TTP card will be accepted as ID in all US airports (in addition, of course, to your US Passport and most State-issued driver's licenses). Smooth sailing (and flying) :ship: :ship: :ship:
Too much trouble getting to the airport for an interview for me to bother It is hard for me to get there I wouldn't ask someone to wait for me. . NObig deal, iI'll stand in line if I must to c lear en try back to U.s. It is worth it.

A friend and I both scheduled our interviews for the same time at Dulles Airport (DC area). Luckily, we both had very nice officers who only asked if we were having a good day and if we had any questions. Neither of us had an iris scan.

According to the video we watched a number of times (while the officers were having a major problem with a disgruntled traveler who was eventually told - three times - to sit down and be quiet or he would be arrested) was that they would take a picture of you at the kiosk as well as scanning your fingerprints. No mention was made of an iris scan.

That’s a shame. Generally the interviews are fairly easy and quick. Mrs K and I were interviewed by the same CBP Officer though three weeks apart. I did my first and he was more interested in asking me about the Federal civil service retirement system. He was going to retire in a year and wanted to know how it had been working for me since he knew from my application I was in the same system. When with my wife three weeks later and he remembered me. He basically looked at her application and said “She’s one of too.” since she’s also a Federal employee. All in all it took more time to park and walk to the interview officer than the interview.

For anyone that has Global Entry and has renewed, did they send you a new Global Entry card with the extended expiration date? If so, how long did it take?

Thanks.

B

Both Mrs. Sopwith and I renewed our Nexus registration this year. I had to attend an interview, she didn’t, likely because I had been to Indonesia on business, although she also had Peru and Colombia on her list. Both took about 5 weeks for approval, cards came within a couple of weeks.

A word to the wise from our experience a few months after the original card was issued: the expiry date on your Nexus/Global entry is not the same as your passport. If you renew your passport and forget to update it on your Nexus registration it causes grief: hauled into secondary inspection, bag search, multiple scolding, etc. Don’t forget.

Both Mrs. Sopwith and I renewed our Nexus registration this year. I had to attend an interview, she didn’t, likely because I had been to Indonesia on business, although she also had Peru and Colombia on her list. Both took about 5 weeks for approval, cards came within a couple of weeks.

A word to the wise from our experience a few months after the original card was issued: the expiry date on your Nexus/Global entry is not the same as your passport. If you renew your passport and forget to update it on your Nexus registration it causes grief: hauled into secondary inspection, bag search, multiple scolding, etc. Don’t forget.

Thanks for the quick response and the words of wisdom!

B

For anyone that has Global Entry and has renewed, did they send you a new Global Entry card with the extended expiration date? If so, how long did it take?

Thanks.

B

My wife recently renewed on line on the new web site. She was not asked to come in for an interview, and she received her new card, with the extended expiration date, pretty quickly. I can’t recall exactly, but it was within weeks. (Of course, YMMV.)

BTW: the renewal form will ask for the names of every country you’ve visited since a specific date (I think four or five years back, but don’t hold me to it), so you might want to have that ready before you start. (While some folks can just get that off their passport stamps, it’s a bigger challenge for us cruisers! :D)

Yes. With Nexus you use the iris scan and Nexus card entering Canada and fingerprints and passport entering the US. If anyone has a rational explanation for that, I'd be interested.

Yes. With Nexus you use the iris scan and Nexus card entering Canada and fingerprints and passport entering the US. If anyone has a rational explanation for that, I'd be interested.

Hey, it's the government. Who needs a rational explanation?;)