Extra seatings in specialty restaurants

Richard2

My wife and I generally stay in a penthouse veranda (PV), which allows us to book two seatings in Manfredi's and two in the Chef's Table 70 days prior to boarding. What is the most effective way to get an extra dinner or two in Manfredi's after boarding? Should we go to the desk outside of the World Cafe that handles all specialty restaurant seatings as soon as possible after boarding or after a few days, when requests in general have "settled down"? Would it help if we offer to trade Chef's Table reservations for Manfredi's? Should we try the restaurant itself right when we would want to be seated or in advance? We would prefer to use the procedures that Viking would want us to use, rather than to see if being pushy worked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My wife and I generally stay in a penthouse veranda (PV), which allows us to book two seatings in Manfredi's and two in the Chef's Table 70 days prior to boarding. What is the most effective way to get an extra dinner or two in Manfredi's after boarding? Should we go to the desk outside of the World Cafe that handles all specialty restaurant seatings as soon as possible after boarding or after a few days, when requests in general have "settled down"? Would it help if we offer to trade Chef's Table reservations for Manfredi's? Should we try the restaurant itself right when we would want to be seated or in advance? We would prefer to use the procedures that Viking would want us to use, rather than to see if being pushy worked. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On boarding day, you will want to go to the desk at the World Cafe to review the Chef's Table offerings and at that time, you can make whatever additions and changes that you want. You can also make reservations from the TV in your room. Do not push it off until later in the cruise because especially Manfredi's will be fully booked.

I would definitely check it our earlier rather than later. We so enjoyed the Chef's Table that we went to the desk at the café and they showed us the schedule and the menus for the coming days and we were able to add two additional nights there. Manfredis is much more popular so they may well book up quicker ... and as I recall passengers in the Veranda section are not able to book ahead so they may be looking for some reservations as well. Good luck and have a great trip!

I was in the PV also. Went to the WC desk day one and after 15 minutes in line was bruskly told, "You already have your 2 reservations". Went down to Manfredi's later in the day and asked again. Couldn't have been nicer. Maybe because I was discussing playing basketball with a Croatian hoops fan. When I told him about my frosty WC reception, he said, "I make the reservations here".

No problem later on getting any specialty reservations during our cruise as many people's plan change as the cruise unfolds and they cancel/move their reservations as we did.

First day reception was the anomaly.

I was in the PV also. Went to the WC desk day one and after 15 minutes in line was bruskly told, "You already have your 2 reservations". Went down to Manfredi's later in the day and asked again. Couldn't have been nicer. Maybe because I was discussing playing basketball with a Croatian hoops fan. When I told him about my frosty WC reception, he said, "I make the reservations here".

No problem later on getting any specialty reservations during our cruise as many people's plan change as the cruise unfolds and they cancel/move their reservations as we did.

First day reception was the anomaly.

The reason I posed the original question was because I had an interaction somewhat similar to philw when I went to the WC desk on the first day of my first Viking Ocean cruise. It was not overtly unpleasant, nothing worth complaining about, but not at all nicely handled. I can imagine that they are extremely busy on the first day and that it can be difficult to remain enthusiastic. I also have found the desk at the restaurant itself to be gracious. One time we used the WC desk to change the date for a dinner at the Chef's Table. When we arrived for dinner, they did not have the reservation in their system. We were quickly seated, and at a window.

passengers in the Veranda section are not able to book ahead so they may be looking for some reservations as well

Yes indeed. I'm taking my first ever cruise next month and as a Veranda passenger, I certainly hope I get a chance to try one the specialty restaurants (dare I dream for both?) before the upper level folks go booking thirdsies and fourthsies.

Yes indeed. I'm taking my first ever cruise next month and as a Veranda passenger, I certainly hope I get a chance to try one the specialty restaurants (dare I dream for both?) before the upper level folks go booking thirdsies and fourthsies.

I was thinking the same thing. Too bad they don't let Veranda passengers at least sign up for one of each before the rest get to sign up for more. I don't mind having last pick of days and times, but it would be nice to at least get to pick something!

I was thinking the same thing. Too bad they don't let Veranda passengers at least sign up for one of each before the rest get to sign up for more. I don't mind having last pick of days and times, but it would be nice to at least get to pick something!

Good point. I agree that getting a first seating should have priority over my getting a third. Maybe without actually saying so, that's the way Viking handles the desk at WC, and why philw and I got the responses we did (although it could have been done nicely regardless of the policy they are trying to follow). I'll likely go directly to the restaurant, but will wait a day or two.

They pretty much do. That's why they seemingly do not let folks like me in a PV sign up for extras in the World Cafe on day one at least. They want everyone to have a shot. I agree with that policy, just not how it was handled.

Again, plenty of tables open up as the cruise goes on. I suspect Viking holds back a small % so that everyone gets a shot. Suspect, don't know.

They pretty much do. That's why they seemingly do not let folks like me in a PV sign up for extras in the World Cafe on day one at least. They want everyone to have a shot. I agree with that policy, just not how it was handled.

Again, plenty of tables open up as the cruise goes on. I suspect Viking holds back a small % so that everyone gets a shot. Suspect, don't know.[/quote

Traveled in a V cabin. No reservations when I walked on ship. Went directly to Explorer's desk and they pointed me in the right direction to see about meeting up with a group at Manfretti's for a birthday. Done. Third day of cruise showed up at Chef's Table when they opened and were seated without reservations. Menu changed the next day and we signed up before we left that night. Before we left that night we had reservations for every rotation. Our birthday party was held in the private area of Manfretti's and upon discussion, we thought we might want to actually experience the restaurant. Word on the ship was that they were completely booked but I gave it a shot. I was told they were completely booked by the computer but told to show up when they opened on a particular day and they would tell me what they could do. We did and were seated right away. So that was 7 nights in Specialty restaurants without a reservation upon boarding. It can be done if you follow the proceedure. You need to to be flexilbe ansd work with them, not against yourself and things will turn out fine.

Do not worry about it. I can make reservations in advance and I am not even going to bother doing it. When I board, late on Day 1 and even later if we miss our connection, I will go to the World Cafe and get in line to make reservations, a couple for Manfredi's and maybe one or two at Chef's Table. If that doesn't work, I will follow Dauntless's plan.

• 2 weeks later...
We have now cruised on the Viking Star and the Sea. On our last cruise, at dinner time, we, on the spur of the moment, stopped at Manfredi's to see if they had any open tables and we got right in.

Becki

And some nights they will tell you to come back at a certain time and other nights they will say that they are booked for the evening. It can be very hit or miss but it is always worth a try.

We ate (I think) 8 times...probably more...at Manfredi's on the Viking Sky Barcelona, the Baltics and Beyond. We only had 1 reservation available ahead of time. It was a 3 week cruise. Some reservations we made with the maitre'd, Florin, and some at the World Cafe. It is easier to get a reservation if there are more than 2 of you. The girl at the World Cafe would tell us that she had tables for 4, did we have friends? And we found some:D:D

The reason I posed the original question was because I had an interaction somewhat similar to philw when I went to the WC desk on the first day of my first Viking Ocean cruise. It was not overtly unpleasant, nothing worth complaining about, but not at all nicely handled. I can imagine that they are extremely busy on the first day and that it can be difficult to remain enthusiastic. I also have found the desk at the restaurant itself to be gracious. One time we used the WC desk to change the date for a dinner at the Chef's Table. When we arrived for dinner, they did not have the reservation in their system. We were quickly seated, and at a window.

We used our TV. It was the most convenient way to book for us. Had all three menus at Chef's table and cancelled second reservation at Manfredi's. You could book straight from your TV but to cancel you need to call.