Public computer usage on Hal ships

Archipelago

Is it safe to use the Hal public computers to pay charge card bills on long voyages as long as one logs off ? I don't have a portable one at this time.

You should never use PUBLIC computers or even your own computer on a PUBLIC network to do financial transactions unless you have a virtual network protective service. Use of you phone on your phone network, not local wi-fi, would be best if must. Or use phone hotspot again on phone provider network.

Someone suggested setting up prepayments as able. I use a bill pay from my bank and set payment dates if away or prepay known bills. The laptop I bring has entertainment on it only nothing of value.

George in NY

Debbie, if you are using a device other than the HAL computer, (I usually use my Ipad). One trick I learned from Scrapnana was to take a screen shot when I log out showing how many minutes I have left.

If you are using a HAL computer/laptop, and have a smart phone, etc., you can always snap a pic too.

Sad that the internet manager treated you like that.

The screen shot is an excellent recommendation by Debbie. Been using it for years. Have often had ship systems screw up and I sail most of the lines. I have also never found an actual internet manager that was anything other than a pain in the ... Usually get things corrected via Customer relations desk.

George in NY

The screen shot is an excellent recommendation by Debbie. Been using it for years. Have often had ship systems screw up and I sail most of the lines. I have also never found an actual internet manager that was anything other than a pain in the ... Usually get things corrected via Customer relations desk.

George in NY

The screen shot credit goes to kazu (Jacqui). My situation got straightened out by Seattle. The front desk tried to intervene and told the internet manager to restore the minutes, but he refused. I basically got the cost of the package returned to me.

Debbie, if you are using a device other than the HAL computer, (I usually use my Ipad). One trick I learned from Scrapnana was to take a screen shot when I log out showing how many minutes I have left.

If you are using a HAL computer/laptop, and have a smart phone, etc., you can always snap a pic too.

Sad that the internet manager treated you like that.

I only used the HAL computer to set up the account. My tablet and phone were locked in the safe in my cabin. It worked out in the end, but I was shocked at how poorly the internet manager handled the whole incident. The lesson I learned is to never use the ship's computers. I didn't have any problems from that time forward.

You should never use PUBLIC computers or even your own computer on a PUBLIC network to do financial transactions unless you have a virtual network protective service. Use of you phone on your phone network, not local wi-fi, would be best if must. Or use phone hotspot again on phone provider network.

Someone suggested setting up prepayments as able. I use a bill pay from my bank and set payment dates if away or prepay known bills. The laptop I bring has entertainment on it only nothing of value.

George in NY

Never? You can only prepay so much and I do my best but other charges may appear and I do need to check to make sure that nothing untoward is happening to my CC or accounts.

Now, not a transaction, but I have been known to do one or two. Fortunately the Canadian banking system guarantees security or refunds the $ if something happens.

I have never had an issue but I take precautions and am very careful. I agree with cat133 - I don't use the wifi in ports for financial transactions - only for for my live threads ;) and uploading of pics in ports.

I only do any necessary financial transaction on my ipad on the ship. the rest are done before we leave. But extra purchases may require a payment on a cruise of 30 days or so ;).

Caveat - I am talking about the Canadian banking system - not the U.S. Despite everyone's complaints, it is still admired as one of the best banking systems in the world.

... and I do need to check to make sure that nothing untoward is happening to my CC or accounts.
Before .cruising we lower our "email alert" level on credit cards to $100 and check email at least once a day. If a card is compromised, I figure crooks would start with a couple of small transactions but would escalate fairly quickly.

Before .cruising we lower our "email alert" level on credit cards to $100 and check email at least once a day. If a card is compromised, I figure crooks would start with a couple of small transactions but would escalate fairly quickly.

Don't bet on that. Years ago my credit card was counterfeited (before the days of chip and pin) and the charges started at $500 and escalated to over $2,000 until the account was frozen.

This was a long time ago - before the days of on line banking - but the counterfeit came from the hotel and relay system from the U.S. To Canada. The credit card and RCMP found the perpetrators but, don't assume it starts at a $30 charge.

Our on line guarantees and security are very good in Canada so like you, while I will not do financial checking in a free wifi spot, I will do it on the ship ;)

The Internet minutes disappearance happened to me as well. I showed the Internet Manager a screenshot of what my minutes were after logout. He showed me a list of my transactions which were indeed mine (I was helping others book Barrier Reef tour using internet). I did use all those minutes and I let it go. My thoughts were the used minutes posted to my account after the snapshot! Now I do not use ship's internet I use Keepgo on my IPad mini when on land. Note that I do not pay for data on my cell phone in the US so something like TMobile with data will not work for me.