Cruise Critic Community
Indianamale

How much extra to tip

The short answer is: however you want. I usually fold a $20 bill in fourths and slip it to the steward when I shake his (or her) hand. We do the same with the wait staff (I wouldn't leave it on the table). I don't leave extra tips on the receipt for drinks, but I hand over a $1 or $2 cash when I receive the drink. Really, whatever you choose to do is fine; I don't like to make a big production of it. Just be sure you let them know that you appreciate what they do and what you expect as far as service is concerned.

Great ideas, thanks for the info.

So I’m going on a 9 day cruise with a unlimited drinking package and was charge beverages service charge of 160 which is fine but I also been told every time I order drink they will auto charge a tip to my credit card is that right? And will it be better to go to the service desk at the start of the cruise and tell they I’m will be tipping in cash?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I’m going on a 9 day cruise with a unlimited drinking package and was charge beverages service charge of 160 which is fine but I also been told every time I order drink they will auto charge a tip to my credit card is that right? And will it be better to go to the service desk at the start of the cruise and tell they I’m will be tipping in cash?

They will not auto charge a tip to your Cheers drink order since you've already paid the gratuities. If for some reason you purchased a drink (for a friend) then you would be charged a gratuity. There is no need to go to Guest Services.

Carnival doesn't have an "unlimited drinking package" for which a guest pays a "Service Charge". Norwegian does it like that so perhaps that's who you might be sailing with. If you have Norwegian's "package" and have paid the directly related "service charge", no additional gratuity will be automatically charged each time you order a beverage.

No cruiseline directly charges your credit card for purchase made while on the ship. All on board purchases are made through your "room key" (different lines call it different things) and at the end of the cruise your total on-board charges are settled to your credit card (if you so chose to settle your account in that manner).

sorry, Homer, we enjoy great vacations. do as you wish. if you never alter your trajectory in life, you can't expect to rise above your current situation.

You need to quit going to seminars on how to win at life! You could write motivation messages on the internet...you have the proper verbology down pat. Regardless, we normally give our room steward an extra $20.00 at the end and each MDR wait team member an extra $20 also at the end of the cruise. Have never had bad service. If I did experience bad service I would keep the auto-tips on but forego the extra.

Lots of interesting views on this subject, I had no idea when I started this thread it would receive all this attention that was not my intent. I just feel like the room stewards and dinning room staff do such a great job they deserve a few extra bucks per day, with that being said I would like to thank everyone that's replied so far .

If you want some real entertainment start up a smoking thread!:D:D

Carnival doesn't have an "unlimited drinking package" for which a guest pays a "Service Charge". Norwegian does it like that so perhaps that's who you might be sailing with. If you have Norwegian's "package" and have paid the directly related "service charge", no additional gratuity will be automatically charged each time you order a beverage.

No cruiseline directly charges your credit card for purchase made while on the ship. All on board purchases are made through your "room key" (different lines call it different things) and at the end of the cruise your total on-board charges are settled to your credit card (if you so chose to settle your account in that manner).

Yes I going on the Norwegian. Thank you

Yes I going on the Norwegian. Thank you

Then you should post your question the Norwegian Cruise Line forum (but you won't be charged an additional gratuity on your drinks unless you order a drink that is over the $$ limit for the drink package, but I'm not sure what that amount is. In any event this charge is automatic and I don't believe that it can be removed).

We only tip extra, beyond auto tips, if the service is exceptional.

Last cruise we gave the steward a $20 on the last night. Did not give anything to the dining staff or anyone else. With the auto-tip in place, it's unnecessary.

A year later and this thread has regained life. LOL I'll be going on my next cruise 12/2 . After all my cruises I still stress on how much to tip our dinning room crew. Thanks again for all the help.

You can actually go the the pursers desk and adjust your tips accordingly if you feel you received a special service or bad service if that is the case..

I always utilize the pre-paid gratuities and then I will also tip personally on the last day or evening anyone who made the extra effort during my cruise be it service or going out of their way to help.

On the "Carnival Breeze" in 2015 the barista always greeted me even if I was just passing the coffee bar with a smile and a hello and have a great day. On the last day I made a special trip to hand her a small thank you note with $20 just for making my feel special.