Post Santo Tomas de Castilla Info Here

rpader

Thanks for the post Chickpea19. Our family (10 in all) will be in Santo Tomas in November 2008 for Thanksgiving on the Veendam. With that many, we need less expensive way to see the sights. I would appreciate any other info from travelers who visit between now and then.

Happy Crusing!

• 3 weeks later...

will be in santo thomas the first week of november with sister and active 93 year old mom. tried to find e-mail for gus, no luck. looking for an excursion where mom can use her transport chair (4 small wheels) or a trip where there is more sight seeing and less rugged walking. would appreciate any input.

Chickpea,

Glad you had a great trip "without Gus" however I notice that

I speak fluent Spanish, but our driver still spoke English to us, I think in order to practice
you speak Spanish.

I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving in a taxi unless I was sure the driver spoke good English. This is why we choose the trip with Gus. Also, I enjoyed travelling in an open boat rather than in a car.

Enjoyed reading your reviews. We are on the Island Princess in November and we are docking at the terminal in Puerto Quetzal I have emailed Gus at Go with Gus tours and he has told me that they will start doing trips from that location this cruise season. The trip he planned for us is $110 per person for a 6 hour trip to Antigua, Coffee plantation, museums ,jade factory ,lunch and it is 1 1/2 hr trip time. We think it sounds a little pricey and we are not interested in jade factories etc. my question is has anyone been on this side of Guatemala? Could we do this tour on our own with a guide just at the pier like you all did? I would hate to get in a cab with some one and not feel comfortable about where we are going. We never take the ship tours and I am getting the feeling that it is not so easy to just get off and do your own thing. I can use some help please.

• 3 weeks later...

I have posted before about how much my family enjoyed our tour with Gus but I thought I should share this video link I found on "youtube". It gives you a good idea of what to expect on the tour.

There is a part two; listed as Livingston tour, it will be listed on the right.

That is me getting out of the water by the dock. Since then Gus built a ladder on the end of the dock and he painted my name on it. I was hot and the water looked so refreshing I just jumped in. It was hard to get out so I made Gus promise to build a ladder. He e-mailed me a picture when it was complete so I know it is there.

Visiting the school was amazing.

Thanks for posting this great link. Looks like you had a really fun day. A couple of questions: Did you take this tour from the port of Puerto Quentzal? Were there lots of bugs? What time of year was this?

If we take this tour I know I will be forever thankful to you for having Gus install a ladder!!! Thank you for posting and, in advance, for your reply. It will be really appreciated.

The port we went to was Santo Tomas de Castilla. We were travelling on the NCL Sun in early March. We did not enounter any bugs but it was during the day. I was prepared with Off 28% deet but did not use it.

I am not sure about the port you are going to. Contact Gus directly, he is the one with the bright orange vest in the video (very useful for keeping track of the guide) and he will let you know if he has anything out of that port. If not, I'm sure he will refer you to someone else as he has many contacts in Guatemala.

Gus is a special person in that he sinceerly is trying to help the people of his country. He is a huge supporter of the schools and education.

Hope I have answered your questions.

Thanks for your reply. Your answer helps a lot. I have been in contact with Gus, and he is very good about replying. I just hope Hurricane Felix passed without too much damage to Guatamala. He said he would send me information on our port soon. We look forward to hearing back from him.

We had some damage from H. Katrina, but compared to many others, we are not complaining. Even though we are on a bayou, we build on the high ground on the property and also built up 3 feet. Water did not get into the house. Lost car to flood waters, Garage door blown in by the wind. Trees fell with limbs on house, so even there we lucked out with much less damage than others with falling trees.

If I learn anything about Santo Tomas and Hurricane Felix I will post.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Sant Tomas is still listed as a port of call for the NCL Spirit.

Costa Maya has been changed to Roatan. Glad it was not changed to Cozumel. I was in Roatan in Dec 1999. Looking forward to seeing the island again and hopefully snorkeling. In Dec 1999 it was stormy and the seas too rough for safe snorkeling.

Wow, that's great! Really makes me want to do this. We're on a small ship (700), and there is a tour offered that very much looks like this, but of course is more expensive. I wondering if Gus has been hired to run it. In any case, I'll email him and ask for information. I guess his email address is around here somewhere.