Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

kiminey65- A beautiful note with the most wisdom...I am also in the 50's, two grandsons.....I agree with all you have said about your experience, would be the same as you. I also feel so horrible for that family!

It did dawn on me, ok, parents not watching the child properly (again, can't assume this 100% until the details come out because maybe they were but things happen in a second and perhaps this could not be prevented) and why the heck if this child was standing on something looking over, or climbing up to look down, how the heck out of all the so many people there around that child did nobody say or do a thing!!!! Other things came to my mind, did a piece of the wall collapse that caused this Childs fall....we all know there are so many people pushing and shoving to get off the ship not intentionally but trying hard to get off the ship....did somebody push this child off while pushing.... was this child standing on a piece of luggage and they were pushed by somebody, too many things come to mind, but I know when my children were that age and getting off the ship my husband would hold my sons hand while I held my daughters hands...too many people are surrounding us and too many things can happen.

I've made this comment from time to time on this board and wound up in a chest thumping contest with those that appose it. Do people fall on cruise ships ? Yes they do..

Be careful, and watch your love ones . When people are having fun some will let their guard down ,accidents happen . Sad ,very sad for the family.

My thought as well. I want to know exactly what happened so it will hopefully not happen again, not because I'm being morbid.

Yes, I so agree.

How unfortunate to have a tragedy occur---------look at the situation closer------- to evaluate and update the safety for protection of all.

There is always the "perfect" design, that is not perfect and has flaws.

We need to evaluate and re evaluate to provide the best safety features.....

Thanks for your post.

Safe travels.

Don't believe all the hype of homocide investigators. That is just spin that they put to make the story more juicy.

It is likely just a crime scene investigator (CSI) from the police dept. I know b/c I worked as a death scene investigator (DSI) from the medical examiner/corner office. CSI and DSI work together. CSI has jurisdiction of the actual scene. DSI has jurisdiction over the body. Police and CSI should not (ideally) touch the body. When we walk onto scenes, we ALWAYS consider that it could be a murder, suicide, accident, or death of natural causes. It is always on our differential as we wouldn't want to miss something.

I will say this. When I read this headline, this seemed bizarre to me-not homocide bizarre, but bizarre none the less. But I wasn't on scene to see how an 8 yo girl could get so high above a railing to fall.

Edited by CruisingUS

Just saw a news story about this, they had pictures with a blurred circle going down, IMO unnecessary.

Having 2 sons myself I feel for the family. In all honesty you can't watch them 100% of the time and things can happen. She could have climbed on something and said 'hey mom look at me' and mom could have been telling her to get down when she fell. You never know, you just do the best you can.

True, and I say if they don't, then there was some type of problem with the wall, after all, they are glass they could get loose...on another note, I find it strange how the homicide department is involved, they usually are when there is a reason for them to be, so maybe the tapes did show something and they can't release it until the investigation is complete, so we just have to hope that everybody does their job to get the answers.

No it doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes a mother and father to raise a child. I would never render my child over to a village to take care of my child.

Love what you said! I raised my child to be a fine young man! Happy to help any child but the" go do what you kids on a ship is crazy"!

Just back from cruise with my niece who just turned 9. We were on 6 deck and she stepped up on bottom of railing trim to peek over at lobby deck.It did put her high enough to lean over somewhat. I have a fear of heights so I freaked and asked her to step down. I can see how quickly this could happen. I feel so bad for her family.

i meant the details of how she fell publicly to us via the news media. the death report and/or police report would contain the details. it's only a matter of who wants to pay the fee to get the details.

I work at the port. She leaned over the deck 6 railing in attempt to get a family member’s attention on deck 5.

I've seen too much of this: parents who think a hotel or restaurant or cruise ship staff will take care of their children. Last September aboard the Norwegian Jewel, my fiancee and I avoided the Azura dining room because there were loud kids running around it whilst their parents cheerfully ignored them.

I don't blame the children, mind you, but the parents. It's the children's job to test their parents' limits, but the parents' job to enforce those limits and keep their kids out of harm's way as much as possible. My ex-wife and I brought our daughter up to behave herself in restaurants and other public places, so she did.

I understand from the poster above that the child was leaning over the railing. Where the HELL were the parents who should have been telling her not to lean over the railings???

No it doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes a mother and father to raise a child. I would never render my child over to a village to take care of my child.

I actually like this saying. All it means is if an adult sees a kid doing something stupid and the parents don't (or are clueless) they should speak up. I'd much rather be yelled at by a parent having an issue with me not "minding my own business" than watch a young life come to a tragic end. If you see something say something.

Oh I speak up when I see a child doing something that will get them into trouble. I am not the village, I am a parent, doing the job of what their mother and father should be doing. Someone turned me in to the Cruise Critic Feds here for voicing my opinion of children acting out on the cruise ship. I know who that person was - he has now become my stalker on CC. I have not idea nor does anyone else as to what happened to this child. We'll probably never know. But if it takes a village as someone posted here, the village failed. JMHO

I've made this comment from time to time on this board and wound up in a chest thumping contest with those that appose it. Do people fall on cruise ships ? Yes they do..

Be careful, and watch your love ones . When people are having fun some will let their guard down ,accidents happen . Sad ,very sad for the family.

DH and I watched an elderly man walk down the Atrium stairs. He missed the last stepped and lunged forwarded hitting his head on the railing. He was knocked out cold. We've heard so many stories about people on cruise ships and how they get injured. Remember the college kid who climbed the radar mast to get a selfie of the sunrise and he fell to his death? The village watched him do it.