Noumea - Mystery Island - Port Vila - Lautoka - Suva

cashmeremypuppydog

Hello all,

We are seasoned cruisers but we need advise for our next cruise which will visit New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji area.

We NEVER purchase cruise excursion but DIY. Sometimes, I organize tours on CC when it is needed (Asia cruise or NZ cruise) and sometimes we just go on our own (Caribbean cruise or European cruise). What about this cruise? Is it like any Caribbean port of call? Tons of people selling different tours as you disembark? What about the cost, are they as good value as in the Caribbean or quite expensive?

If you would be us, what would you do at each port if call? As we live in Canada, we have no idea about that area of the World and will probably never go back as it is so far away for us.

Any information and tips would be greatly appreciated.

The Canadians!:cool:

Hi, we are doing 3 of the same ports on a cruise in January. If you search the boards with "South Pacific Port Summaries" there is a thread with quite a bit of information. Even though it is an old thread it is definitely worth reading, there are some handy tips there.

Also bumping your thread so someone with information might chime in.

Hi Jasper 15,

Thank you for your input. However I did read this informative post but feel I need more info... I know, I should just go with the flow but I like to be more prepared. I really want to hear from other cruisers so I do not lose time comparing excursions at the port of calls or even worst, selecting a so-so excursion... :eek:

Please people, help me make our first (and probably last) time in Fiji, Vanuatu... the BEST.

Hi Canadians,

I am visiting some of these ports too, but have already visited Noumea and Suva. In both these ports we organised private excursions before we left home. In Noumea we did a fantastic snorkel trip over some of the most beautiful reefs full of wildlife including fish (obviously!) sea slugs and water snake.

In Suva we did a tour with Patrick called Jewels of Fiji, or maybe Gems of Fiji. It was brilliant. A coach ride to a Village for the cava ceremony and a very tasty lunch cooked in a fire pit followed by a raft trip to a waterfall where we could swim. We loved it!

The Noumea trip was expensive, but worth it. I think there were tours being offered there on arrival.

Hope that is of some help, I’m hoping to see some tips for Lautoka....

Libby

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi All!

Thanks for the input on this thread. We too will be on this cruise and wonder what excursions to take. We are Canadians visiting friends in Melbourne and decided to extend our trip with this cruise before heading back home in March. All your inputs are great and I'll keep monitoring and hoping to hook up on this board.

We too a seasoned cruisers with Celebrity our favorite. Just started to look into this itinerary as we booked recently. Looking forward to all the feedback

Eric and Sophie from Mtl

Hello Kristal Blade and Razer,

Here is my summary on LAUTOKA

Lautoka to Nadi: 35 min (26km)

Lautoka to Vuda Point Marina: 18 min (13 km)

Vuda Point Marina to “First Landing Beach Resort: 3 min walking (230m)

Vuda Point Marina to Garden of the Sleeping Giant: 16 min (12 km S/E)

Garden of the Sleeping Giant to Sabeto Hot Springs and Mud Pool: 4 min (2 km E)

Cruising and docking at this port, it's not the picture perfect image many imagine when they picture Fiji, however that perfect beach is not too far!

-Sabeto Hot Springs and Mud Pool #5/115 (in Nadi and #1/52): Cost: $30FJD ($18.50CA) or $20FJD ($12.30CA). Make sure that you have proper but also quite old clothes to cover you, bring towels and make sure that you also have your new clothes to change for the road. Very simple place to change. Remove clothes in different pools.

-Garden of the Sleeping Giant (orchid farm) #8/115: $18FJD

-Vuda Point Marina #17/115: Only about 20 min away (13 km) from Lautoka. Not far from Vuda Marina are Gardens of the Sleeping Giant (16 min; 12 km S/E of Vuda Marina) and Sabeto Hotspring (4 min; 2 km E of Gardens of the Sleeping Giant) )which are both worthy of a visit. Right beside Vuda Point Marina is “First Landing Beach Resort” (230 m; 3 min walking). You would also have time to visit Port Denarau, & Nadi town. -Nadi Produce Market #30/115:

Independent tours: 1-) If you want to spend that day at a beach island by the beach, please keep in mind that the ones the locals send you are quite close to the mainland and not that stunning. The cruise ship excursions are the ones that take you further out to the more stunning beaches. 2-). On the dock, there are a number of people selling cheap tours ($20 US). In fact all most of them do is take your $$ and give it to a taxi driver. Then the driver inform you that the entrance fees are not included....So it is best to walk out to the dock entrance and negotiate directly with the cab driver for fare only and save about 1/3.

Nothing we saw is really fantastic.

1/2 day: “Garden of the Sleeping Giant (orchid farm)” $18FJD #8/115 Tripadvisor, Viseisei Village ( one of the most important villages north of Nadi by “First Landing Resort”)

For lunch: “First Landing Resort”, 10 min south of Lautoka at Vuda Point. Lovely beachfront and pool.

I would suggest that you take the courtesy bus into Lautoka town, spend some time checking out the local shops and the market, (wonderful array of fruits and veg and spices). After that I suggest that you hire a taxi, (arrange the cost before getting in the vehicle) suggested itinerary- tour around town, Garden of the Sleeping Giant, Vuda Marina (for lunch or a drink -wonderful views) - you can also check out First Landing Resort which is next door to the marina, then back to Lautoka. You could expect to pay about FJ$150-150 for a trip of about 2-3 hours.

Finally, I just found this info yesterday:

Another option is to hire a taxi and go to "Natadola Beach" on our own. It's about 75 min away (74 km) but well worth it. Best beach on the island of Viti Levu. Go at the beach (free), not InterContinental Hotel (FJD $40). Stop by Yatule Resort & Spa for lunch or drinks.

We will see if we make friend on the cruise that want to try "Natadola Beach". If not, we will stick around Vuda Point.

Razer, are you on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean? We are departing Feb 21 and back to Sydney on March 5.

Hi Canadians,

I am visiting some of these ports too, but have already visited Noumea and Suva. In both these ports we organised private excursions before we left home. In Noumea we did a fantastic snorkel trip over some of the most beautiful reefs full of wildlife including fish (obviously!) sea slugs and water snake.

In Suva we did a tour with Patrick called Jewels of Fiji, or maybe Gems of Fiji. It was brilliant. A coach ride to a Village for the cava ceremony and a very tasty lunch cooked in a fire pit followed by a raft trip to a waterfall where we could swim. We loved it!

The Noumea trip was expensive, but worth it. I think there were tours being offered there on arrival.

Hope that is of some help, I’m hoping to see some tips for Lautoka....

Libby

Thank you Libby,

The tour in Suva, did you buy it in advance or the day of the tour? Independent tour or cruise ship tour?

Noumea: Did you go to Amedee Island? I found someone that offer only transportation instead than all-inclusive and it is 6,500 CFP ($81.25 CA). Cruise ship all-inclusive tour (lunch-wine-bottom glass boat (free or paying???) is $190 CA

Thank you for your input. I posted info on Lautoka specifically for you...

Thank you Libby,

The tour in Suva, did you buy it in advance or the day of the tour? Independent tour or cruise ship tour?

Noumea: Did you go to Amedee Island? I found someone that offer only transportation instead than all-inclusive and it is 6,500 CFP ($81.25 CA). Cruise ship all-inclusive tour (lunch-wine-bottom glass boat (free or paying???) is $190 CA

Thanks for the Lautoka info, Canadians, really helpful. I think we would enjoy the Sleeping Giants.

As to our tour in Suva we booked in advance. It was independent and much better than the ship tour which actually came to the same village as we did but had no waterfall swim included. It was booked with Patrick. Tour was called Gems of Fiji.

Noumea, we did a snorkel in the sea, went to an island, but I don’t think it was Amadee, it was really low key with lots of locals and few tourists. No wine! But we did pre order lunch and it was massive, one lunch between 2 would have done us.

I am going to see if I still have email info for you.

Libby

Pricing info for Suva

The Jewel Of Fiji Awesome Foursome Day Tour

Itineraries

- Motorised River Canoeing

- Cultural Fijian Village Tour

- Lunch & Entertainment at the village

- Magic Waterfalls swim

- Bamboo Rafting

Pickup at the Suva Port 9 am or as soon as you disembark ship, Return to ship 4 or earlier if requested.

In 2013 the trip cost AUD$75 and included cost of lunch. If you go you will get to meet the lovely children in the school. They might appreciate some pens or coloured pencils.

The Noumea trip cost 8500XPF for boat ride, snorkel, lunch stop on island then a second snorkel trip before return to dock. All snorkel gear was provided but we had our own masks and snorkels. I think lunch was an extra 600. The trip was particularly good because a snorkel guide came I. The water with us, she would dive down and grab creatures for us to see close up. She was also very beautiful and my husband was happy about that!!

Enjoy your trip, whatever you do,

Libby

Thank you Libby,

Hi Fellow Canadians!

We are on the Explorer out of Sydney on the 21st Feb. Great info from everyone. We rarely take excursions offered by cruise lines and will look into some of these private offerings. Some research required.

Pricing info for Suva

The Jewel Of Fiji Awesome Foursome Day Tour

Itineraries

- Motorised River Canoeing

- Cultural Fijian Village Tour

- Lunch & Entertainment at the village

- Magic Waterfalls swim

- Bamboo Rafting

Pickup at the Suva Port 9 am or as soon as you disembark ship, Return to ship 4 or earlier if requested.

In 2013 the trip cost AUD$75 and included cost of lunch. If you go you will get to meet the lovely children in the school. They might appreciate some pens or coloured pencils.

The Noumea trip cost 8500XPF for boat ride, snorkel, lunch stop on island then a second snorkel trip before return to dock. All snorkel gear was provided but we had our own masks and snorkels. I think lunch was an extra 600. The trip was particularly good because a snorkel guide came I. The water with us, she would dive down and grab creatures for us to see close up. She was also very beautiful and my husband was happy about that!!

Enjoy your trip, whatever you do,

Libby

Hello Libby,

I am overwhelmed by your generosity! Thank you so much for sharing. I will be looking into pre-booking Patrick with the "Jewel of Fiji Foursome Day Tour" and I will research Aquanature after sending this post.

Thank you again!

Noumea tour was with Aquanature, here are contacts.

aquanature@canl.nc

info.aquanature.nc@gmail.com

Will send pricing info next message. Sorry to keep adding in bits but I am having to jump between emails.

Libby

Hello again Libby,

I found a web site but it is in French: http://www.maisondulagon.nc/aquanature

Half-day tour is 7,500 XPF (63 Euro). Lunch: 700 (6 Euro)

Our ship will be in Noumea from 8 am to 5 pm. Their tour starts at 7:45- 12:15. We will have to pass.

I am writing this info for others... as it is not easy to find their web site.

Thank you again Libby.

Hi Canadians,

Glad you found the info helpful. I’m sure French was no problem for you, it’s your first language, no?! For me I clicked on the little flag at the top to get English translation, but they may have changed the website.

Have a wonderful time,

Libby