Review of our Magical cruise 10/07/17

BiscayneBay460

This is just a short review of our cruise. This cruise included myself, husband, daughter and her boyfriend, son and a friend. This was the first time on the Magic and the first time on a Carnival ship of this size. We have cruised the Freedom, Conquest, and Sunshine. I read lots of reviews on the Magic. I have to say, I didn't feel as though is was over crowded. We never had to wait very long for dinner and the kids used Sportsquare every day without waiting. I do think that I prefer the smaller ships. I always felt as though I could find the kids within minutes on the smaller, I don't think I could have found them as easily. Also, they are older, 23 and 16, so I didn't feel that I had to keep up with them as much.

Port Canaveral:

We had a port arrival time on 11:00. Arrived right on time, we were never asked to see our paperwork for arrival. Pulled right in to unload luggage, to parking garage, then right into terminal. As we were walking into terminal, they were already calling for boarding. We received our sign and sail cards at the desk as apposed to them being at our cabin. Boarding was very quick and easy.

Had a quick lunch, Guy's burgers and some ate off the buffet. Found chairs in the shade on deck 11 and waited on 1:30 for cabin to be ready. At the appointed time we went to cabins, 9380 and 9384. My self and husband and our daughter were in one and the three males in the other. Both were balcony rooms next to each other but did not connect and were set up where the balcony divider couldn't be opened. We booked too late for that. On arrival to the cabins, I noticed that there was no toilet paper. About an hour later the steward arrived asking about morning or evening service. He left out the part about you could have both. He showed me the paper to fill out and both was included on the paper. I marked both. I also informed him that we had no toilet paper. He asked if we needed anything like an extra blanket or pillow. My daughter asked for a pillow and I asked for an extra beach towel as there was only 2 in the room for the 3 of us. He stated ok. Never got the extra pillow and the toilet paper didn't come until we had left the room for sea day brunch on Sunday. Luckily, there are tissues in the bathroom. Had a wonderful dinner that night. Did not make food pictures. We had your time dining in the Northern Lights dining room. Had so-so service that night.

Sea Day #1

Got up early for the sea day brunch. Everything was good. All the guys had the steak and eggs. Looked delicious. Service was very good this visit. We silent this day exploring the ship and playing up on sports square. This was elegant night in the dining room. There were many, many people dressed to the nines. We followed dress code but were not nearly as dressed up as most.

Day # 3 Cozumel:

We have been to Cozumel before, so we just walked around a little while then went to Fat Tuesday. They have the best chips and salsa. We spent quite awhile there as they have free wifi and very good adult beverages. Did some shopping and back on board right after lunch. Found some great lounge chairs deck 10 aft. We were facing the water. There is a pool and 2 hot tubs there. Also a fresh water shower, which I used to cool off multiple times. Dinner that night was also very good. Had different waiters again this night. But they were very good. Didn't make it to the Love and Marriage show, but saw the rerun on TV.

Day # 4 Belize

Went to the Southern LIghts dining room for breakfast. We were seated with two other couples. Very nice to talk to others. We all ordered at the same time. I was surprised at how one of the servers acted. There was an older woman and her daughter both of whom their orders were wrong. Items not brought. I didn't get part of mine either. The female server was almost rude. The male server came behind her and made everything right. We had been here before and almost didn't get off the ship. Last time, it was sort of scary. We had had no time to get familiar with the ports, as our ports were changed 3 years ago to this same itinerary due to Hurrucane Gonzalo. Changed again this time due to hurricanes, but that is what you get in the Fall sailings. But we did get off and walked around and shopped a little. There was a bar at the end by the name of the Wet Lizard. We had drinks and nachos there, was just so-so as far as the drinks and service. Walked back to tinder and returned to ship. We didn't go to Country Road show that night. The kids didn't want to spend the time to eat in the dining room, so just my husband and I went. Asked for a booth and that is where we found Komang and his assistants. He gave excellent service and just seemed like he loved his job. When the servers got up to dance, he could dance like no other. We went to karaoke that night, and the guy working the mike was funny. He cut off the kids singing about 9:00, so then it got better. There was a teenager named Kensie that could really sing. Off to bed after karaoke.

Day # 5 Roatan

Had an early breakfast at the buffet, then off to the beach. It was overcast and humid that morning. Got great lounge chairs, front row. We were near the guy selling coconut water. He kept telling people that it was going to rain and would not clear up this day. Boy, was he wrong. Within a couple of hours, the sun was shining and everyone was in the water. I'm not sure why, but the water has a white look to it. You can't see the bottom. My daughter and I did the fish therapy. Did it really help? No, but it was something to say we did and make pictures. Servers from Fat Tuesday walk around all day, so we ordered nachos and drinks to hold us over. They have wifi that you can buy for $5 for one device for the day. Back on board by about 3, looking for food. That night for dinner it was myself, husband, daughter and her boyfriend. We asked for Komang's table and were seated there. Again, excellent service. Went to see America Rocks, the show for this evening. It was okay. It seemed as though there are only 2 that really sing and they aren't great. I thought we had much better entertainers in the past on other cruises.

Day # 6 Costa Maya

Again, we were worried about this port. Last time there were armed guards everywhere. I have to say I was blown away by the changes. It has been completely commercialized by the cruise industry. I didn't feel unsafe at all this time. Last visit I bought a ring with my children's names cut in to it. I wear it every day. My sister wanted one, so we went to get her one. The price had doubled! I'm sure it was due to the commercialization of the area. Shopped a little, then back on board. Dinner that night was elegant. All of us went, but Komang didn't have a table for 6 available :(. Went to the show, Flick, this night, again was ok, not a waste of time, but not great either.

Day # 7 Sea Day.

Got up early and headed to deck 10 aft. Again got great loungers facing the water. There were no chair hogs in this section. Did have a brief rain shower, but then sunny skies the rest of the day. Tried the Pig and Anchor for lunch. Had to wait too long in the sun. I felt like it was just ok as far as bbq goes. My husband liked it. We spent almost all day on deck 10. Dinner that night was all of us again, only they made a table for 6 for us to sit in Komang's section. Great food and great service.

Debarkation:

We over slept! We were taking our luggage with us though. I thought it went fairly smooth. The problem is the elevators. They called for decks 9 and 10 to leave. We went to go down and there was probably 50 people waiting on elevators. They would come to our floor, but people from decks below would get on before and so they were always full. We decided just to take the steps. 6 flights of stairs!! We basically walked right off and to customs. They checked licenses and birth certificates and we were off. We were out of the parking garage and on the road by 8:00.

I will post more later.

The cruise overall was great. Great weather, great foods, met new friends. If you are going on the Magic anytime soon, there was a trio of string instruments, The Polaris Trio, don't miss them. We sat on the couches on deck 4 in the atrium for at least an hour when they would play. They played classical to rock to movie themes. It is an electric violin, and electric cello, and an acoustic violin. Just beautiful music.

Ask for Komang in the Northern Lights if you do the your time dining and watch him dance!

We had Matt as our cruise director. He has energy and is friendly but that is all I can say. His assistants are not as outgoing. It also seemed that they make friends with a few passengers and then they get picked for everything.

As I said before, the shows did not seem as good as those on past cruises.

You also need to visit Alexander at the Alchemy Bar. He makes a chocolate cherry drink which he calls the "Lucky Me". It is delicious.

We were deck 9, right under the lido buffet. Only can remember twice that we heard any noise. It was a very good place for access to the lido, aft pool, pizza place.

We ordered room service every morning for coffee. This was our wake up call. We did get room service one night when it was after a show. Paid for a pizza and banana split. Was well worth the cost, as the line for the pizza was a mile long. The pizza was not as good as on the lido, but hit the spot.

We had joined the roll call here on cruise critic for our group. Signed up for the meet and greet. Only 9 people showed. It was scheduled on the Belize day at 5:00. We received an invitation in our cabin the night before.

Please feel free to ask questions.

Thanks for your review.

If you have kept copies of the FunTimes and other docs that were left for you in your stateroom each night, and have a way of scanning it and posting it, I know that that would be greatly appreciated but dozens of people cruising on Magic with me in a few weeks.