Cameras to Bring

rhnaks

I'm contemplating which camera to bring on our PG cruise in 2 weeks. Is it worth lugging my heavy SLR, which isn't waterproof if I take it onto the beach, or would a compact digital camera be enough. Anyone's passed experiences/thoughts appreciated.

I'm contemplating which camera to bring on our PG cruise in 2 weeks. Is it worth lugging my heavy SLR, which isn't waterproof if I take it onto the beach, or would a compact digital camera be enough. Anyone's passed experiences/thoughts appreciated.

I've gone every year for 18 annual trips to the South Pacific. Only the last few years have I've taken a quality DSLR. Every time I go through pictures taken years ago I kick myself in the rear for not taking a quality camera/lens. We had quality cameras, we just didn't want to worry about losing or damaging them.

Now with that said there are some incredible options that produce quality photos that are small. Under $1000 you can buy a Canon RX100 V.

Something a bit bigger/expensive is the Sony RX10 III bridge camera. Yes there is a IV but for the average consumer there is no big difference between the two, save the money.

If I was to only take one non DSLR camera/lens it would probably be one of these mentioned cameras.

Last trip my DSLR equipment tipped the scales at 32lbs but I was there professionally so you take what what is best for the task but for those travelling to their trip to paradise take one quality point & shoot or bridge camera. Both mentioned cameras not only take great stills but quality video ;)

Hereiti doing her Micheal Jackson rendition on the pool deck during the rain we had during a late night party ... there are times when one needs a quality DSLR with OCF ...

hereiti%20color%20version%20%281%20of%201%29-X2.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

That's like asking what clothes to bring! Admittedly I am a photo nut so my camera load will probably differ from most but on our next cruise I will be bringing:

Full frame Nikon DSLR, with two zooms to cover about 12 to 300mm.

A Nikon flash that I can also use off camera if needed.

A tripod for the above.

A GoPro Hero 4 and Hero 6, with a dome housing that allows shots above and below the water.

A "selfie stick" (I hate that term) for the GoPro's

A gimbal for taking smooth video while walking with the GoPro's

And probably a folding DJI drone for use at some of our destinations.

The GoPro 5 and 6 are great for walk around cameras and actually are very high quality. I would not want to give up my DSLR though. So for me one or the other would definitely not be enough, but obviously YMMV. I know that wasn't very helpful...

Actually, jc3443, it is quite a helpful answer. I'm a point and shoot kind of girl but I'm thinking of bringing at least 3 cameras, my little finepix compact, plus a waterproof camera of some sort and maybe a bridge camera as OH's Olympus compact is a bit old and I think he might like a bridge camera for Christmas. Also I want one with a viewfinder as well as a screen. Floating strap and selfie stick as accessories. I'd draw the line at a drone though.

Clothes to bring is easy - pareo, tankini, flip flops and hat! Kaftan and sandals for evening. :).

I bring a GoPro Hero 5. Great for snorkeling, no housing needed down to 33 feet. Menu is easy to use and it takes a great picture/video.

That is good to hear, as I am thinking of just using my GoPro Hero 5 for most everything, saving me the luggage space and pounds. And, of course I will have my phone, an Iphone 7 plus which will do OK for on the Ship.

Doug

That is good to hear, as I am thinking of just using my GoPro Hero 5 for most everything, saving me the luggage space and pounds. And, of course I will have my phone, an Iphone 7 plus which will do OK for on the Ship.

Doug

The secret of the GoPro is knowing how to program it for different situations. Unless I want the barrel effect I program the view as 'medium'. The ISO set to 400 unless your going underwater or it's the evening in switch case I push it to 800 or even 1200. I do bring a GoPro gimbal for stabilization plus an LED light to use when I boost the ISO at night. I hand hold the LED above the camera plane.

As I use PP software I program for RAW files and program the color at neutral.

Actually, jc3443, it is quite a helpful answer. I'm a point and shoot kind of girl but I'm thinking of bringing at least 3 cameras, my little finepix compact, plus a waterproof camera of some sort and maybe a bridge camera as OH's Olympus compact is a bit old and I think he might like a bridge camera for Christmas. Also I want one with a viewfinder as well as a screen. Floating strap and selfie stick as accessories. I'd draw the line at a drone though.

Clothes to bring is easy - pareo, tankini, flip flops and hat! Kaftan and sandals for evening. :).

As I told another if I only was to bring one camera I would bring a bridge camera, probably a Sony RX10 III or IV. One heck of a camera and can do all sorts of stuff plus the hunk of glass on it is very good. I like the EVF as you are seeing the real exposure and as the dynamic range is great in fP and the large amount of back light to deal with the EVF is a great way to go.

The secret of the GoPro is knowing how to program it for different situations. Unless I want the barrel effect I program the view as 'medium'. The ISO set to 400 unless your going underwater or it's the evening in switch case I push it to 800 or even 1200. I do bring a GoPro gimbal for stabilization plus an LED light to use when I boost the ISO at night. I hand hold the LED above the camera plane.

As I use PP software I program for RAW files and program the color at neutral.

Thanks, yes I do normally take off the fish eye or barrel effect and go to medium. Really looking forward to using it underwater. I don't have a gimbal, I thought the 5 has built in stabilization. Is there a gimbal you recommend?

Doug

Thanks, yes I do normally take off the fish eye or barrel effect and go to medium. Really looking forward to using it underwater. I don't have a gimbal, I thought the 5 has built in stabilization. Is there a gimbal you recommend?

Doug

Yes the Hero 5 has stabilization built in but for truly 'pro' video results you want a gimbal ... I use the GoPro gimbal.

I took this with a GoPro Hero 5 on a GoPro gimbal ... make sure you hit the start arrow ;)

Yes the Hero 5 has stabilization built in but for truly 'pro' video results you want a gimbal ... I use the GoPro gimbal.

I took this with a GoPro Hero 5 on a GoPro gimbal ... make sure you hit the start arrow ;)

Very nice, I will have to get a gimbal before the trip.

Did I see it right on your instagram account that you are in Paso? We love Paso, and visit there regularly for the wineries. We are members of Tablas Creek, Rangeland and our favorite Saxum Vineyards. And we love Buona Tavola restaurant just South of Paso Robles Inn.

Thanks,

Dooug

Very nice, I will have to get a gimbal before the trip.

Did I see it right on your instagram account that you are in Paso? We love Paso, and visit there regularly for the wineries. We are members of Tablas Creek, Rangeland and our favorite Saxum Vineyards. And we love Buona Tavola restaurant just South of Paso Robles Inn.

Thanks,

Dooug

I've lived in Paso Robles for 53 years. Tablas Creek is one of my favorites. The Italian place long ago was Wong's Hong Kong Cafe. My first job was for Mr. Wong as a bus boy in the mid 60's. 95 cents per hour and all the fresh Chinese food I could eat :)

FYI, drones are a no no on the PG though people have taken and used. I did not take mine this last trip because of the policy. After giving it thought I believe it was the correct call. GPS satellite lock is not near as good down under and without GPS you need to feel confident in your ability to fly in 'expert' mode meaning to fly manually. I love GPS lock and the ability to set way points and then go auto and focus on the camera. But with no GPS or a compromised GPS you can't do that and I don't like flying manual (by the seat of my pants).

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Well I'm glad I could help!

I've lived in Paso Robles for 53 years. Tablas Creek is one of my favorites. The Italian place long ago was Wong's Hong Kong Cafe. My first job was for Mr. Wong as a bus boy in the mid 60's. 95 cents per hour and all the fresh Chinese food I could eat :)

FYI, drones are a no no on the PG though people have taken and used. I did not take mine this last trip because of the policy. After giving it thought I believe it was the correct call. GPS satellite lock is not near as good down under and without GPS you need to feel confident in your ability to fly in 'expert' mode meaning to fly manually. I love GPS lock and the ability to set way points and then go auto and focus on the camera. But with no GPS or a compromised GPS you can't do that and I don't like flying manual (by the seat of my pants).

I haven't spent any time in Paso in years, but used to go up there for the mid state fair. This was when my wife had a lot of family in Morro Bay and her uncle owned a restaurant in SLO.

On another note, my drone use is for after cruise. And I also wandered into the PG forum when I usually cruise RC. Sorry, but I get lost sometimes! :cool: I have never taken a drone on board a ship but my understanding with several of the lines now is that they will let you bring it aboard and check it out when you go ashore. Our next cruise will be around the British Isles with another 2 weeks in Scotland and Ireland, so my intention is to bring the drone for that time, not for the cruise.

Well I'm glad I could help!

I haven't spent any time in Paso in years, but used to go up there for the mid state fair. This was when my wife had a lot of family in Morro Bay and her uncle owned a restaurant in SLO.

On another note, my drone use is for after cruise. And I also wandered into the PG forum when I usually cruise RC. Sorry, but I get lost sometimes! :cool: I have never taken a drone on board a ship but my understanding with several of the lines now is that they will let you bring it aboard and check it out when you go ashore. Our next cruise will be around the British Isles with another 2 weeks in Scotland and Ireland, so my intention is to bring the drone for that time, not for the cruise.

On the PG website ...

"Can I bring a drone?

For safety and security reasons, drones are not permitted to be brought aboard the ship."

Not pointing at you ... just so everyone knows and as I said I did not bring mine for this very reason.

BTW, I was the sound engineer for many years at the Mid State Fair .... when it actually was the SLO County Fair ;)