Rivera Oceania Suite Deck 11 Aft vs Deck 12

papa B me

I am considering our first Oceania cruise for Oct 2019. I a most interested in an Oceania suite. I'm comparing the Deck 11 Aft with the Deck 12 suites. Has anyone sailed in both to compare pros and cons. Any help would be appreciated

I am considering our first Oceania cruise for Oct 2019. I a most interested in an Oceania suite. I'm comparing the Deck 11 Aft with the Deck 12 suites. Has anyone sailed in both to compare pros and cons. Any help would be appreciated

It's a true case of "six of one, half a dozen of the other".

In a nut shell, the Deck 12 Suites are slightly larger inside the suite and include two full bathrooms,as well as..direct access from bedroom to veranda.

The Deck 11 (aft Suites) provide a bath and a half as well as a magnificent, enormous wrap around verandas which fully capture the wake of the ship.

I agree with Jim. My personal preference is for the aft suites -- we've reserved them on our upcoming two cruises on Marina and Riviera. We HAVE sailed in 11083; we have NOT sailed in the Deck 12 suites but have visited them. For me, the half bath is sufficient rather than a full second bathroom, and I love the huge veranda. But I doubt you'd be unhappy in either one.

Thank you for the response. I have put a deposit down on Suite 11083(aft) for the New York to Montreal Oct. 2019 sailing on Riviera. There are quite a few Deck 12 suites still available with this being the only aft suite left. So I thought I would book it and could change in a few days if I changed my mind.

I'm thinking with this cruise being port intensive and sailing the St Lawrence river it would be nice to have the aft leaving NY, Boston, etc... Might even be some great fall colors. So to me it seems worth giving up a little space and the second shower for the expansive deck.

From what I've found searching previous threads the major downside could be potentially noise from the patio dining above. Guessing at that time of year it will be coolish so maybe not as many early morning people there. Any input appreciated if my thinking is off.

All I can say is that we weren't bothered by noise from above when we were in 11083 on Marina in November 2013. We'll be in the same suite on November 7th so I'll be paying attention!

We DID hear lots of engine noise when pulling out of a port, though ... But it didn't last long.

Mura

We DID hear lots of engine noise when pulling out of a port, though ... But it didn't last long.

Mura

I do not think it matters where you are when the thrusters are on

The whole ship shook we have been mid ship on decks 7 & 9 & felt the vibration as well as on the pool deck

Thank goodness it is for a short time :halo:

All I can say is that we weren't bothered by noise from above when we were in 11083 on Marina in November 2013. We'll be in the same suite on November 7th so I'll be paying attention!

Mura

Just booked 11083 on Marina for 2019, would like to experience the "large " balcony!!

Thanks again for all the input. I'm happy with my choice on deck 11. I know the balcony will get a lot of use. Now I just have to wait almost 2 years for the cruise to get here. Trying Azamara next year in an aft owners suite so will give me a great comparison between the two lines.

Both lines have their fans but remember that the "O" ships (Marina and Riviera on Oceania) and the "R" ships are rather different. And both types of ship have their fans as well.

On Oceania there are people who prefer the larger "O" ships and those who prefer the smaller "R" ships (which is the only type of ship that Azamara has, at least for now). We ourselves like them both, for different reasons.

Your Owner's Suite on an "R" ship will be smaller than the Oceania Suite. My memory of the one OS we were in (on Regatta 12 years ago) also had a nice sized balcony.

I meant to add that I used the balcony a lot on our November 2013 Barcelona-Rio cruise. We had warm weather, of course! But it was delightful to go out on the deck and read ... And I had fun watching a Regent ship parallel parking at one of the Brazilian ports ...

We have been in a Deck 12 Oceania suite. Balcony is OK but not by any means big. Does have a hot tub, chaise longue etc. I haven't been in one of the Deck 11 ones but looking at the ship from the dockside they have deeper balconies than the Owners Suites on the decks below them. We had the Owners Suite on 8 on our last cruise. Balconies were a real disappointment. Way too much furniture and not much wider than the Oceania Suites ones on 12. I think next time we book an Oceania Suite I will try to get one on 11.

Noise - from the Owners Suite on 8 there was noise, as noted above, from the thrusters any time we docked/sailed. Vibration too. And a LOT of vibration - really noticeable - when at top speed which we had to do for several hours due to a medical emergency in mid Atlantic. But that is a rather unusual situation...

Both lines have their fans but remember that the "O" ships (Marina and Riviera on Oceania) and the "R" ships are rather different. And both types of ship have their fans as well.

On Oceania there are people who prefer the larger "O" ships and those who prefer the smaller "R" ships (which is the only type of ship that Azamara has, at least for now). We ourselves like them both, for different reasons.

Your Owner's Suite on an "R" ship will be smaller than the Oceania Suite. My memory of the one OS we were in (on Regatta 12 years ago) also had a nice sized balcony.

I'm really looking forward to comparing the R class and O class. So far we have sailed the extremes of River Cruises with 130 people to Mega ship with over 6000 people(not my thing). In addition we are sailing with NCL on the Pride of America for Hawaii early 2019 which is midsize ship. So that will give us a wide range to see what we like best. The owners suite on Azamara is about half the size of the Oceania Suite but does have a wonderful balcony. My best guess is that the O class is going to fit my tastes well. But the truth is I love traveling so much and feel so blessed to be able to travel in the types of cabins/suites that we do that I find something on every trip I like/love and don't let the negatives pull away from it. So think I will find that I'm happy with both Oceania and Azamara.

The owners suite on Azamara is about half the size of the Oceania Suite but does have a wonderful balcony.

What cabins do they consider OS on Azamara ?

I would have thought they would be the same as on the other R ships & they are 1000 sq ft same as the Oceania Suites on the O class ships :confused:

But the truth is I love traveling so much and feel so blessed to be able to travel in the types of cabins/suites that we do that I find something on every trip I like/love and don't let the negatives pull away from it. So think I will find that I'm happy with both Oceania and Azamara.

That's a great attitude to approach things with. I never fail to be amazed at some of the complaints I see people have, while they're missing the beauty all around them.

• 1 year later...