Quiltincruiser

Never again

Not sure you'll find piston beer here. Never seen it anywhere.

You can head to Vigie Beach boardwalk and enjoy ice cold Piton beers.

Enjoy.

LOL I misspelled it. That's what I meant. Thanks!

Ship docked in Castries, St. Lucia at 10:00 am. Cleared customs at 10:30. Went ashore at 10:50. Assaulted and absolutely beaten down by the tour and taxi people at the pier, we turned around and were back on ship by 11:20. Will never go ashore in Castries again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for sharing this experience, Quiltincruiser.

This thread was started last October.

St Lucia is one of our favourite Caribbean islands, but we also did the tour with Cosol's which was the best excursion we have done in the Caribbean. Never felt uncomfortable or threatened at all.

This is a port of call where my recommendation is to either do a tour or stay on the ship. There is very little to see on your own and my own view is once you get a few blocks from the port it is scary.

Keith

I found a myriad of stuff to do on my own by just wandering around. There's a place right on the main drag across the street from the cruise terminal called TT's Tourist Paradise. I thought, "well hell, I'm a tourist!" so I went in. I was the only tourist there but the beer was cold and the folks were friendly. Another spot I enjoyed visiting was a local fast food franchise. I don't recall the name but it reminded me of a Whattaburger out of Texas. It wasn't bad and it was interesting to see St. Lucia's take on American style fast food. I think I was the only white person in the whole place. I had some postcards to mail so I asked directions to the post office and that was interesting. I had to wait in line like everybody else but what a great way to get a sense of what a place is like. Another favorite spot was an outdoor market that sold all manner of fruits and vegetables, fish and fowl.

I've done tours to the mud volcano and to the Pitons but there's nothing better than hanging out and rubbing shoulders with the locals.

My wife and I visited St Lucia in December, after our last bad experience at this port we stayed on the ship.

Over the years the taxi's and the beach vendors became too controlling. Usually you tell the taxi where you want to go, not in St Lucia they tell you where they will take you! Also upon reaching Rodney Bay (where else!), the sun bed vendors would not only try to rip you off, they would also tell you where you will be sitting!

Then you have to face a constant stream of vendors selling the usual rubbish, who then berate you when you don't buy anything. It's about time the cruise lines stopped calling at St Lucia, perhaps then the locals would start treating the cruise passengers with respect.

That is so unfortunate, as this is one of our very favourite islands in the Caribbean. For those who are planning to travel to St Lucia we only tour with Frank's St Lucia Taxi and Tours. He was recommended by our travel agent a few years ago, and we have toured the island with him twice - no issues, no problems. In fact, he took us everywhere on the island and showed us how wonderful this place in paradise is. He is well known and well respected here.

Please, How much did Frank's Taxi tours cost?

Please, How much did Frank's Taxi tours cost?

You can see their various tours at their website.. St Lucia Franks....

My wife and I visited St Lucia in December, after our last bad experience at this port we stayed on the ship.

Over the years the taxi's and the beach vendors became too controlling. Usually you tell the taxi where you want to go, not in St Lucia they tell you where they will take you! Also upon reaching Rodney Bay (where else!), the sun bed vendors would not only try to rip you off, they would also tell you where you will be sitting!

Then you have to face a constant stream of vendors selling the usual rubbish, who then berate you when you don't buy anything. It's about time the cruise lines stopped calling at St Lucia, perhaps then the locals would start treating the cruise passengers with respect.

Never had that happen to us in St Luica.

Too bad you missed a great port!

Never had that happen to us in St Luica.

Too bad you missed a great port!

Hi Arzeena, that was my point, we have visited St Lucia on many occasions. In the early days it was fine, it's only lately that things have deteriorated.

Hi Arzeena, that was my point, we have visited St Lucia on many occasions. In the early days it was fine, it's only lately that things have deteriorated.

I respect your opinion. I am very comfortable with St Lucia and I have only been there in later years so cannot compare to the early glory days. Perhaps we look at things differently because we all have different experiences.

You can get a Piton beer without leaving the enclosed port area. Head to the Pink Papaya for beer and some pretty decent fish or jerk chicken wraps. They are much different than in the US or Mexico but watch out for the mango and scotch bonnet peppers hot sauce. I love it but many find it to be too hot. They have wi-fi free so you'll see crew there too. The place is family run and started out years back with only beer and fish sandwiches. It is also clean and they often have music now. Not a bad stop on the way out or back to the ship.

Best thing about Castries is - leaving. To appreciate St. Lucia, one must get out of Castries and that happens successfully with some pre-planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I took one of those private boat rides last year to the Pitons and I thought we were going to die on the ride back as the boat driver was going much too fast and we were bouncing all over the place. I'll never do it again.

I took one of those private boat rides last year to the Pitons and I thought we were going to die on the ride back as the boat driver was going much too fast and we were bouncing all over the place. I'll never do it again.

LOL!:D:D

I had the same experience on the return boat ride from Jalhousie Beach, and on top of that it started pouring! But that ride from hell is well worth the paradise that Jalhousie is and I will surely do it again, now that I know what to expect.

We researched and went on a private tour with Cosol Tours, it was the best tour we ever did!

We also did Cosol Tours In January. Fabulous. 7 hours, beers, rum punch, 7 hours can’t say enough good things about it. And the price is so right!

Many ports the vendors can be pushy. You have to remember that for most of them, this is their only chance to make some money. I'm not going to miss out on seeing what the world has to offer, because I had to say no to some things I don't want.

We have been to St. Lucia many times and normally take tours .However ,on our last cruise this past December we decided to walk on our own and it was great . We had no problems with anyone there nor have we ever previously.

I have been to St Lucia 3 times by cruise ship. First 2 times got off ship - was not a pleasant experience. To say the vendors were aggressive is an understandment. Scheduled on RCCL in October and one of the stops is St Lucia - staying on ship. I understand that others live this island, but it is not for me.

Has anybody used any of the Zip Line companies there and what are your thoughts? Looking at the Adrenaline Zip Line tour.

We ziplined in St. Lucia a couple of years ago; for the life of me can't remember the company. We enjoyed it; we were both about 70 at the time and had zipped twice before.

There were only three of us on the tour and we rode in the back of a truck--long bench seats. The guide provided some narration as we drove and we stopped at a scenic place or two. The road is windy and was quite an adventure in the back of a truck!

The zipline was very good and well-run, seemed to be very safe. We enjoyed it and the employees were great. They used our own camera to take pictures of us zipping.

Of the three ziplines we have done, this one had more longer climbs between the zips. This didn't bother me but my husband had more of a hard time with the uphills.

Afterwards we went to a beautiful falls and had the option to walk right up to it through the river. We opted out, the other much younger guy did go up to the falls with the guide. I still wish I had done that!

We enjoyed the tour and I at least would do it again. I can probably find the name of the company if I search a little.

Try going to Vigie beach just in front of the small airport near the port. Lots of chairs and shade also food and drinks . About $10 each way. We have been there twice last time was January 2018 and going again

Ontario Cruiser

Try going to Vigie beach just in front of the small airport near the port. Lots of chairs and shade also food and drinks . About $10 each way. We have been there twice last time was January 2018 and going again

Ontario Cruiser

Is that $10 per person or per taxi? Cost of chair rentals? Thanks

Yes, Cosol tours are the best way to go, especially if you really want to SEE ALL of St. Lucia. It is worth every penny!

Went to St. Lucia in 2015, just the wife and I. Did a complete island tour. No problems. A few locals selling necklaces at the lookout point overlooking the cruise ship port. No big deal.

Fast forward to 2018.. Family cruise, 2 small children and an elderly father-in law also. I was mobbed by no less than ten men shoving necklace's in my face at the same look out point. I wanted a quick photo and to buy a few Piton beers, and was not interested in their necklaces. We departed the ship late to avoid this.

The final straw was when I was walking back, and I saw the locals opened the door to the cab and were trying to sell to my two kids under the age of 10.

When we arrived at Marigot Bay, we didn't even get out. It looked to be a repeat of earlier. In 2015 there were no necklace peddlers there and we actually got out and enjoyed it. Tried some banana ketchup as well.

It felt like a different place this trip.

We have been to St. Lucia several times, but always do tours (private) which we have enjoyed.

I will say that two years ago, after returning from our tour, we decided to walk along the sidewalk for a while but didn't go to far because of a general feel of unease, with many hawkers, homeless types, beggars, etc.

We are experienced travelers and have been in some iffy places, but just felt very uncomfortable here. We will be back this November and will probably book another tour, even though we have done most of what we want to do there.