Cruise Critic Community
sbaker

Christmas on HAL???

Our upcoming cruise will be our first experience with HAL. We'll be on the Westerdam over Christmas. Does HAL do anything special for Christmas, i.e. decorations, entertainment, etc. Anything in particular on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

Yes, HAL decorates well for the Christmas celebration. Special events include caroling, Santa, late night splendid holiday buffet, and of course decorating all the public areas of the ship. We enjoyed it a couple of years ago.

I think "Santa" also visits the children on Christmas day. We don't have any young children, but I am sure I read it in the daily program on Christmas morning.

We were on the Oosterdamn last Christmas and it was great. The ship is decorated in all the public areas and they had a tree lighting ceremony on Christmas Eve and Santa cams Christmas morning for the kids.

A few years back I was on Veendam the week before and during that week the bakers built a gingerbread town in the atrium. It was complete by the 6th night.

I can corroborate all said above. We were on Zuiderdam over Christmas December 2013. I brought some shiny plastic snowflakes and some little suction cups to hang them on the glass door to our balcony.. I imagine you could do it on the window in an ocean view. I also had downloaded a Christmas album to my iPad. We had dinner in Pinnacle on Christmas Eve. We had a lovely time!

We had wonderful Christmas on HAL! Beautifully decorated ship, Santa had gifts for the kids and there was a very nice midnight church service attended by many passengers and staff. Enjoy!

My HAL experience with a Christmas Cruise was on the Prinsendam. All of the comments of the previous posters mirrors mine. The Tree Lighting Ceremony was coupled with Stewards serving Hot Chocolate and Hot Apple Cider along with delicious Christmas cookies. Song sheets were distributed to the guests and we joined the Entertainment Staff in singing Christmas Carols.

A Gala Night type menu was served in the MDR on Christmas Eve, Midnight Christmas Eve services were held for the Protestant and the Catholic guests,

On Christmas Morning, Santa made an appearance and distributed gifts to the children in attendance. But, for this Senior Citizen, the highlight of the program was the video presentation of Santa's arrival to our ship. It's not to be missed!

The Prinsendam's Staff provided a wealth of pleasant memories for my Holiday Cruise with them.

Ditto to all of the above comments. We were on a Mexican Christmas cruise several years back.

Santa arrived and gave gifts to every child between newborn and 18 years of age. It was so cute to see how the older (young) people responded. They even had pictures taken with Santa.

What impressed me the most was how dressed up everyone was for the Christmas Eve and Christmas day dinner. Especially the children. The dining room was beautifully decorated and both were very festive occasions.

We enjoyed being on a cruise with all the children. Most were well behaved and seemed to enjoy the cruising life!!

Would definitely go again on a Christmas cruise.

:halo:

Are dining room menus different for Christmas?

I have copies of both the Christmas Eve International and Christmas Day MDR menus from 2008 and they are indeed different from the regular MDR menus. One memorable item was roast goose.

Are dining room menus different for Christmas?
Yes. I had the one for the Eurodam from last year, but I didn't keep it. We got off on the 24th of December and I did not need it for my Live From thread. I'm working from memory, but I recall that the menu was kind of like formal (gala) night with a traditional turkey dinner and other traditional Christmas items added. It looked very good.

I wish Copper or another employee would view this.....I wonder how the dining staff view all the Christmas activities. I would like to give cards and maybe small gifts to our dining stewards. But I am afraid it might offend them since most are Indonesian and don't celebrate Christmas. Does anyone know if it is appropriate to include them in our Christian celebration??

I wish Copper or another employee would view this.....I wonder how the dining staff view all the Christmas activities. I would like to give cards and maybe small gifts to our dining stewards. But I am afraid it might offend them since most are Indonesian and don't celebrate Christmas. Does anyone know if it is appropriate to include them in our Christian celebration??

This is just my opinion. But, it is something that I have done and it was appreciated, I believe.

No card, no gift (although phone cards might be a good idea); I offered a small monetary gift above and beyond my usual gratuity with a verbal "Merry Christmas". Each time, I saw surprise in their eyes. That made my Christmas "Merry"!

I’m enjoying the comments in this thread. It is helping me get excited for my upcoming cruise on the Amsterdam next month!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wouldn't give gifts unless they are edible and you think they would like them. (Something special from your area that maybe they couldn't get?) The crew don't have a lot of storage space in their cabins.

I would give $ and a "happy holiday" card if you are so inclined.

I wouldn't give gifts unless they are edible and you think they would like them. (Something special from your area that maybe they couldn't get?) The crew don't have a lot of storage space in their cabins.

Excellent idea - thank you.

We’ve done many Christmas and/or New Year’s cruises and love them! The decorations, special activities, and general spirit on board has always been so joyous and festive!

I agree, a card and $$ is most appreciated by room and dining stewards. I bring a box cards that is nondenominational. For example, I’m looking at ordering this one for this year’s cruise:

https://www.gallerycollection.com/product/international-ornament-holiday-card-302478.htm

I also bring $5 bills and discretely hand them to crew that I pass that are shining brass, cleaning restrooms, etc. with a ‘happy holidays, and thanks for all you do’. It’s always met with appreciation and a smile.

Enjoy your cruise!

I also bring $5 bills and discretely hand them to crew that I pass that are shining brass, cleaning restrooms, etc. with a ‘happy holidays, and thanks for all you do’. It’s always met with appreciation and a smile.

Thank you for this idea.

We will be on the Westerdam over Christmas 1 Suite and 1 Veranda with 3 well behaved kids 9,15,17 with 5 cruises under their belt. We are renovating our home and are displaced at the time so we booked this as a nice break.

We will be on the Westerdam over Christmas 1 Suite and 1 Veranda with 3 well behaved kids 9,15,17 with 5 cruises under their belt. We are renovating our home and are displaced at the time so we booked this as a nice break.

What a great way for your family to survive a home renovation!

We’ve sailed quite a few Christmas breaks, many with our kids (back when they were around the same ages as yours). They love cruising, and we’ve sailed many lines, but the only line they wanted to sail for holiday cruises was HAL. There are enough kids to hang out with...but not too many. The staff at Club Hal are fantastic, and many officers have their families onboard as well. My kids are still in touch with others they met years ago.

The ship will be beautifully decorated, and the staff pays special attention to the kids onboard.

Enjoy your holiday!!

We had wonderful Christmas on HAL! Beautifully decorated ship' date=' Santa had gifts for the kids and there was a very nice midnight church service attended by many passengers and staff. Enjoy![/quote']

We sailed HAL ships many times for Christmas. T he ships are decorated beautifully Chstirstmas Eve, The crew puts on a lovely concert witth them singing Christmas Carols in various languages. when the conedrt ends, threre often is a nice buffet . the Chefs and stewards set up wondrfufl buffet outside the exitts frrom show lounge. round the railing ouside Ocean Bar. Durcing Chrismas Eve GThere are announcment s fromm he bridge giving an udpdate on Sntas's ttravel progres.s Santa arives on gthe ship, Christmas moning. goes to the show lounge and has packages for all the children. Of course, nice, holiday dinners on C hristtmas Eve and Chrismas.

Edited by sail7seas

We did a similar thing when rfebuilding master bath. we escaped the mess and noise and left the contractors to do theri work while we ran away for Thank sgiving. cruise :) It was all finishd, cl.eaned up and ready for our use when we got home. :)

We sailed HAL ships many times for Christmas. T he ships are decorated beautifully Chstirstmas Eve, The crew puts on a lovely concert witth them singing Christmas Carols in various languages. when the conedrt ends, threre often is a nice buffet . the Chefs and stewards set up wondrfufl buffet outside the exitts frrom show lounge. round the railing ouside Ocean Bar. During Chrismas Eve There are announcments from t he bridge giving an udpdate on Sntas's ttravel progres.s Santa arrives on the ship, Christmas morning. goes to the show lounge and has packages for all the children. Of course, nice, holiday dinners on C hristtmas Eve and Chrismas.
.............. It is all very festive and lots of the crew wear Santa hats. :)